Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

BoD member behavior

Posted by jtolbert 
BoD member behavior
November 18, 2010 02:04PM
I've had some concerns brought to me from various SN players. I just want to make sure that we are all on the same page. I'm posting this as a thread versus sending a PM, because I'd rather the people we represent see that we're working toward something.

Most of the problems that occur on our threads aren't random. They seem to spawn from childish banter back and forth, personal insults, and "I told you so" attitudes. Many players have stated that the BoD should be held to a higher standard, and I agree completely.

We shouldn't participate in the behavior that instigates the conduct that we're trying to prevent and present consequences for. Personal issues that BoD members have with non-BoD members need to be kept personal, not aired out on the forums. Honestly, there are a few players in the SN that I wouldn't want to hang out with due to personality conflicts. However, I'm not going to announce those names and make all of that public because it will cause nothing but trouble.

If we're serious about fixing these "problems" that we see, we need to be the catalyst for the solution, not the inhibitor.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
BHS Disc Golf [www.youtube.com]
Mobile, Alabama
Re: BoD member behavior
November 18, 2010 02:54PM
Well said Justin, and I completely agree :)
Anonymous User
November 18, 2010 02:59PM
Well said Justin. I'd like to see this posted over on the main thread though where the BoD member you're referring to causes the majority of his damage to this once-promising series. Kevin swore up and down he'd be professional before his unelected, last-place-in-the-prior-election tail was appointed...but he's now stooped as low as encouraging altercations amongst our players. How the rest of the BoD can not act and remove him before he does more damage is beyond me, but I'll attempt to be patient.
November 18, 2010 07:01PM
Kernan... as usual you twist things for your amusement... i said that I would moderate the forums professionally and not edit post just because I didn't like the person, and to this day that has been the case 100% of the time. I also stated that when I voted I would vote on behave of the players and never let my personal feelings be my judge. To this I feel like I am batting 1000 still.

I have always maintained that I am still an SN player and a person that has an opinion and I have a right to state it.

In a perfect world our TD's would also hold themselves to this "higher" standard, in a perfect world our past board members would hold themselves to this "higher" standard... alas, we don't live in a perfect world.

Kevin Richard - Person first Board member second.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take me to the window and understand
I got a rocking chair in my skin.
And every time the wind blows
It brings me down to meet the mood I'm in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SN Top25 Bag Tag database
BRDGA Top10 Bag Tag database
MADGA Top10 Bag Tag database
SFC Top10 Bag Tag database
November 18, 2010 07:44PM
I also think that a member of the Board of Directors should be held to a higher code of conduct on the forum page. Never should a seated BOD member 'get into it' with another person on here for any reason. I completely agree with the current effort to clean up the forum page and back stiff penalities for repeated violations. As a former BOD member, I make every effort to voice my difference of opions in a subtle manner.
November 18, 2010 08:13PM
You are a model individual Robert, I have always thought so and I tip my hat to you.

Anonymous User
November 18, 2010 08:37PM
So you don't feel a shred of regret for encouraging players to have an altercation? How is that being a professional moderator?

You're not batting a 1000, you're just plain batty. By the way, I'm not afraid of an altercation. It does reveal your character quite well that you'd encourage others to altercate with me since you're not up to the challenge.
November 18, 2010 08:51PM
Altercation - a heated or angry dispute; noisy argument or controversy.

I believe we have had this... several times.

I don't see any problem with a heated dispute... I just want to stop seeing you be two faced. You have nothing but "altercations" from the "comfort" of your keyboard but rarely do I see you have one with someone in person.

Your mental gymnastics skills are fading ol' boy.

Anonymous User
November 18, 2010 09:04PM
Backpedal all you can pacifist.

In person at a disc golf tournament is usually not the time for long winded discussions. Most people at tournaments are busy warming up and getting ready to compete. Especially in the pro ranks where I play. Of course, you wouldn't understand that. Me personally, I don't have the time to waste going around at tournaments trying to tell everyone in person the things I say on the net. That would make me an annoying drama queen named Gilligan if I did that. Call me two-faced all you want, almost everyone disagrees with you.

Believe it or not Gilligan, about 95% of players here are smart enough to realize that one's persona on the internet and one's persona on the course are not necessarily the same. The 5% that can't, well, they've got some issues if you ask me.
Anonymous User
November 18, 2010 10:04PM
Yep, you're definitely in the 5%.

What's funny is that I'm not even close to the top of the list on bad antics anymore (if I ever really was), since Mobz wanted to start a tournament to protest what happened at BAP and publicize it for all the world to see, even though it meant endangering everyone's right to play disc golf at BAP and use the trailers. That's when this forum went completely down the tubes. That's when your motto "1.me first 2. SN second 3. dignity last" became quite apparent for all to see. You were so eager to destroy poor old Sidebottom you made a complete fool of yourself and your claim that you can be impartial went way way way out the window, if anyone even believed you to begin with, which I doubt. Josh is making no friends pointing his finger in everyone's face and running off sponsors. Why don't you call him two-faced? He didn't act the same in person as online after all. Same for Dex. He didn't call me a cheater and a coward in person, so by your definition, he's two-faced. And you're two-faced going by the name Gilligan online and by Kevin in real life.

I sleep quite well at night next to my young sexy wife. Don't be jealous.
November 19, 2010 02:24AM
I still as a board member stand by the fact that you have a right as an American citizen to protest whatever you like. I have always said that those people should not be silenced in this forum, I couldn't care less who did what to who in my stance. If you feel that you were done wrong then I feel you have a right to stand up and voice that. I would stand up for anyone's dissent, I would just hope that they would be true to themselves and that feeling that they were wrong in the real world to and not just online or it becomes a little hard to respect that dissent.

Again, the mental gymnastics are fading ol' boy... many people call me Gilligan in real life too, including some of my closest friends. I have no problems going with a full name only forum as I have stated a few times. I personally think we should do away with multiple screen names also.

Anonymous User
November 19, 2010 07:10AM
Somehow you haven't answered the questions. No surprise.
Anonymous User
November 19, 2010 08:37AM
Some more of that back and forth, back and forth, speak once and say that's all you have to say Gilly, next.
Anonymous User
November 19, 2010 09:24AM
There seems to be a post missing in between two of mine now. I wonder if it was Kevin who deleted it after being too ashamed of something he typed again? I told y'all it was unwise to let him keep his admin duties.

If it was another BoD member, jeez louise, talk about being in hiding. You're not going to be successful in cleaning up the forum if you don't have the courage to take on Kevin, the weak little pacifist.
November 19, 2010 12:54PM
Yes, as an American citizen you have the right to protest whatever you want. But we can't get hung up on the "I have the right to do this" argument. Just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean it's the best decision.
If I knew my friend was a recovering alcoholic, I wouldn't drink alcohol around him. I have the right to, but I wouldn't. I would know that my drinking the alcohol would be a catalyst and entice him to drink it.
This banter back and forth does no good. Honestly, there's probably not going to be a true "end" to it either. However, we can recognize what causes it and refrain from participating.

Oh well. My $0.02.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
BHS Disc Golf [www.youtube.com]
Mobile, Alabama
November 19, 2010 01:00PM
Good post Justin.

rWc3523
November 19, 2010 11:57PM
Justin, I completely agree with your original post, and, as a player, would appreciate an effort to discuss this topic at a BOD meeting, along with an attempt at official expectations on the behavior of a BOD member.
November 20, 2010 12:07AM
Kevin,

If you really are beholden to your motto that you are a "person first Board member second", then I think you need to seriously consider resigning your post as a Board member. You absolutely have the right to free speech, but if you are willing to exercise that right to the detriment of the SN, then it will endanger your privilege of serving on the Board. Part of your responsibility is to lead the SN, and the main problem the players see online right now is inappropriate behavior on the forums. If you are committed to say whatever you want, despite the board's decisions, then you are not helping the problem, but openly rebelling against the decision of the BOD you are supposed to be a part of.
November 20, 2010 09:02AM
Curt, I understand your position... I have no desire to go against forum guidelines that the board enacts. I'm not going to circumvent the filter or anything of that nature. I do feel should be able to have public tv style discourse but whatever the board decides the board decides and I will abide.

Where I say I want my free speech is when I'm speaking of my right to voice an opinion. No where does the guidelines say that I am not allowed to do that.

You know that I respect you Curt but I don't really see how me expressing my opinions is to the detriment of the SN... I'm pretty sure it falls right in line with any other discourse going on here and half the time I am defending good named players and TD's from other TD's or Ex board members. If they aren't in detriment then there is no way I can be. I firmly believe if there is a higher standard than it should be for ALL TD's and board members EX and Current... no sense in drawing the line anywhere in the middle of that. Hell, I even support Kernan's right to jump up and down and scream (from behind his keyboard) that Jim O stole bag tag money... hell, I support his right to even try to drag me into it like he did. But I should be allowed to defend myself when falsely accused of such improprieties.

"For me, I am just a man."

November 20, 2010 07:15PM
Gilligan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> "For me, I am just a man."

YOU SURE ABOUT THAT?

BMB
November 20, 2010 07:49PM
Now, if I had to pick a Faith No More song for you B-Hole... I'd guess I'd have to pick their cover of the Bee Gees "I Started a Joke".

For the record Mike Patton kills in that song!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 41
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013