Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

BOD Minutes 12/15/10

Posted by lesliez 
BOD Minutes 12/15/10
December 15, 2010 09:30PM
Members present were Marc Darby, Leslie Easterling, Josh Lenox, Jamie Massengle, Kevin Richard, Justin Tolbert.

Meeting started at 8:02pm

Sanctioning of Tournament

* BOD voted to SANCTION the North Little Rock tournament this past week. (Passed 6-0)

* This statement will be added to the SN Handbook and Tournament Forms "The SN welcomes a wide variety of tournaments for sanctioning however to help maintain the integrity of the series we ask that the tournament be at least 2 rounds of 18. If your tournament doesn’t meet that qualification you can still apply for sanctioning however sanctioning will be at the discretion of the SN Board." (Passed 6-0)

SN Handbook
* Justin pulled up SN Handbook on Google Doc. which is easily edited. BOD is going to post handbook on forum, and we are going to work to update the handbook as needed over the next few meetings.

* Justin has offered to go in and edit the additions and changes we've made so far.

Post/ Thread Violations

* Daniel Mowery created post violating guideline 1, and the BOD voted on whether it was or wasn't in violation. Voted was in violation 5-0 (No vote from Kevin in final BOD vote). He was sent a warning.

* We added to the guidelines violation process..... "a warning will expire after six months" (Past 6-0). So, if you are warned it is a probation period, and if you violate again then you are banned for a period of time.

Next Meeting
* Demographics
* SN Handbook

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2010 10:09PM by lesliez.
Re: BOD Minutes 12/15/10
December 15, 2010 09:39PM
Thanks, Leslie.
December 15, 2010 09:44PM
Well, it seems that no matter how many times I say that I haven't voted yet I still get a vote counted for me.

* Daniel Mowery created post violating guideline 1, and the BOD voted on whether it was or wasn't in violation. Voted was in violation 6-0. He was sent a warning.

I actually NEVER voted one way or the other on this issue. I just re-looked at the log and all I ever did was ask where I did vote because I got a yes and a no vote attributed to my name and I never once voted either way actually.

Also, it was mentioned by several of the yes votes that the reason the Little Rock tournament got sanctioned was due to the fact that there was no clear and concise guideline publish. That is now about to be rectified.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take me to the window and understand
I got a rocking chair in my skin.
And every time the wind blows
It brings me down to meet the mood I'm in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SN Top25 Bag Tag database
BRDGA Top10 Bag Tag database
MADGA Top10 Bag Tag database
SFC Top10 Bag Tag database
December 15, 2010 10:03PM
I corrected the votes to reflect your vote above. But, I do believe you were one of the three members that agreed to have it pulled when we got 3 BOD votes to pull it for a full vote. So, I assumed your vote hadn't changed. The minutes have been changed to not reflect your vote (opt out).

Leslie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2010 10:08PM by lesliez.
December 15, 2010 10:06PM
Gebus Krishna! PLEASE reread my post above.

No way that anything ever gets "translated incorrectly" in meeting minutes.

December 15, 2010 10:18PM
NOW, we got it right. ;)

December 16, 2010 03:16PM
I would suggest the BOD set a time of "banishment"......I would not recommend that issue be left up to any "interpretation" other than that which is implicit in the BOD's decision to do so.........

and kudos on the right decision on LR......

I would also add the BOD should consider the suggestion of using some type of "guideline" on the sanctioning of a tourney less than 2 rounds of 18...
using something to the effect "the spirit of this guideline is to prevent a tournament from being scheduled with limited notice for the purpose of circumventing the guidelines referencing qualification for the Championships".....

thanks....Peace out....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2010 03:19PM by bryan griffin.
December 16, 2010 03:58PM
Griff check this out

[docs.google.com]

"You are truly one miserable human being."
Alxtgr
December 17, 2010 11:25AM
I think that is a perfectly reasonable way to handle the tourney's qualification. The use of "prefers" is a "good fix" - thanks.
December 17, 2010 02:02PM
For the record it is followed by " If a tournament cannot meet the hole preference, the sanctioning of the tournament must be brought to a vote with the Board of Directors."

So it is still not OK to sanction tournaments not meeting that criteria... it's just not a strict NO right off the bat. "No" is still a perfectly acceptable answer if the board rules that way. I hope we would all agree with that.

December 17, 2010 03:20PM
Agreed - with the caveat that the Board should consider the "spirit of the guideline" is to prevent tournaments that seek to circumvent proper qualification for the SN CHMPS....a reasonableness rule so that varied versions of charity events, safari events, etc. would still have a chance within the SN structure. THe rule was never intended to require 2 rounds of 18 (imho) - that was never the spirit of the SN "back in the day".... We do not need to over-complicate our series - it would likely be to our eventual detriment - many of the "unusual" tournament formats gain much more publicity and area support than our regular series tourneys....

Events in timbuk two to qualify out of the area Pros for the SN CHMPS should be scrutinized....

Thanks again, Board.
December 17, 2010 06:22PM
That's a good fix, Gill, BoD

Preferred event, minimum holes, 18 x 2 rounds. If you want something less, seek a waiver from the BoD PRIOR to the event. Sounds a lot like a zoning variance.

Since many TDs at least browse the forum, this should be common knowledge, but it's another item that could be posted on local bulletin boards for those who might need to know.

Good way to keep the rule in place and offer an alternative in special circumstances.

rWc3523
December 17, 2010 09:49PM
Griff... actually it was brought up because some players/TD's felt that we needed a little more structure to the series.

December 17, 2010 11:29PM
But I still don't think structure is defining how many holes on a round. As long as the bod remembers why the reasoning behind the guideline when considering a td's waiver request, then I'll put faith in the bod's future votes on this.

Terry Zeringue
December 18, 2010 09:51AM
I'll make sure to do that since I was one of the ones that discussed and voted on it.

December 27, 2010 11:06AM
Zing hit my point right on the head....I don't mind a number of holes preference....as long as it is not a requirement - having the opportunity to scrutinize why a tourney seeking sanctioning is not 36 holes is a valid concern - but ONCE AGAIN the spirit behind said guidance is structure, while the spirit behind SN format being in the rules AT ALL was to insure that folks from the "outside" didn't throw backyard tosses to qualify for our big $$ championships.....

I just don't want to see us limit our ability for new tourney types......example: SN NIGHT GOLF series with a possible SN NIGHT GOLF CHAMPIONSHIP - could be done by cities and towns registering their Night Golf events (usually single round events) and possibly one day growing into a "mini-series" with a Glo Championship......

Just an example.....SN might decide as a whole not to sanction such an endeavour, but if it is a "Players Series" then demand might win the day (along with volunteer support) and then the BoD (I'd hope) would step up and say "Great" this is how it can be sanctioned......1 round tourney = SN Fee of $1 per player HOWEVER one must play in 2 such events to qualify for the SN Championships.....(or go te Glo only points with Glo only Championship route) - the point is to be open and look to the reasons behind the sanctioning request.....

That is what the guideline SHOULD do....

Hope all had a great holiday....Griff
December 27, 2010 11:48AM
Griff, actually that isn't the "spirit of the guideline"... I actually didn't agree with a lot of the arguments being given for some of that rule but I did think it was better for the season overall and voted for it. That being said, I won't ignore the rationale behind the arguments given during the vote just because I didn't agree with them.

What is the point in having a "preference" if it is not a "requirement"?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 23
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013