Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Southern Nationals Handbook

Posted by jtolbert 
Southern Nationals Handbook
December 16, 2010 08:02AM
Here is the link to the SN Handbook on Google Docs:
[docs.google.com]

As of this posting, the sections have been linked to the table of contents. I'm going to begin weeding through all of the board minutes to find changes that need to be made.
Consider this thread to be my record of changes that I've personally made. The record of changes is also kept on Google Docs itself, showing who edited what and when.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
BHS Disc Golf [www.youtube.com]
Mobile, Alabama
Re: Southern Nationals Handbook
December 16, 2010 08:44AM
Great Justin! Thanks!
December 16, 2010 08:58AM
I'm about to add another item to the BoD section. Keep in mind, any changes that have to be made have to start from the earliest minutes to the latest.
[www.sndg.org]
This is from May 4, 2005.
In this thread, they have the following...

2. A vote on procedure for replacing resigning SN board members during their term was taken. It was decided a couple meeting ago in principal that the person would be replaced by the person with the largest percent of votes from the last election that didn’t become a board member. If that person elects to not take that position then the seat would be vacant until the next SN Board election. Voting was unanimous in favor.

This needs to go in the Southern Nationals Disc Golf Board of Directors section. If this has already been changed, it'll have to wait until I get to that minutes meeting. This is definitely going to be a timely process. Give me a little while, and I'll have a draft of what I'll add.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
December 16, 2010 10:02AM
jtolbert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 2. A vote on procedure for replacing resigning SN
> board members during their term was taken. It was
> decided a couple meeting ago in principal that the
> person would be replaced by the person with the
> largest percent of votes from the last election
> that didn’t become a board member. If that
> person elects to not take that position then the
> seat would be vacant until the next SN Board
> election. Voting was unanimous in favor.

7. 4.7 Board Member Resignation
a. (4.7.1) In the event of a board member's resigning, the seat will be filled by the candidate with the highest amount of votes from the most recent election that did not become a board member.
b. (4.7.2 If the eligible replacement elects to not fill the open seat, the seat will remain vacant until the next Southern Nationals Board Member election.

Thoughts?

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
December 16, 2010 10:17AM
Here's another:
[www.sndg.org]
From March 26, 2008

"Topic #1: Jeff proposed an amendment to the SN Handbook, section 5.0, dealing with punishment for major rules violations. After discussion it was voted to approve the SN Handbook amendment 4-0. The official wording of the amendment will follow after these minutes."

"SN Handbook Amendment

Section 5.0 Punishment for major rule violations.

A. A player shall be subject to disqualification or warning of disqualification by the tournament director for committing any of the following acts during a Southern National qualifying or championship event :

(1) Unsportsmanlike conduct towards players or spectators, such as; loud cursing, throwing things in anger (other than discs in play), or overt rudeness to anyone present (spectator, player, or official)
(2) Willful and overt destruction or abuse of plant life, course hardware, or any other property considered part of the disc golf course or the park.
(3) Cheating: a willful attempt to circumvent the rules of play.
(4) Activities which are in violation of the law or park regulation or disc golf course rule, including the illegal consumption of drugs or alcohol.

Tournament Directors are granted the discretion to disqualify a player based on the severity of the offending conduct. An official warning of disqualification may be issued by a director where they deem appropriate.

B. Disqualified players shall forfeit any prize money and shall not receive a refund of entry fees.

C. Any warnings or DQ's according to the guidelines above reported to the board will be counted against that player. A single disqualification or two warnings with a 12 month period will carry a 12 month probation period effective on the date of the disqualification or 2nd warning. During that probation period another warning or disqualification will carry a 3 month suspension from ANY SN disc golf event AND that player will not be allowed to play in any SN championship event for the SN year that the second infraction occurred. The probation period will also be restarted from the date of the second infraction for another year. Another infraction of these rules during the new probationary period will result in a minimum 1 year suspension from SN tournament play, permanent probation, and the player must request reinstatement after that year from the board before participating in another SN qualifier or championship. A third infraction will be dealt with specifically by the board but a permanent ban from SN events will be seriously considered.

D. In terms of these rules a tournament event should be specifically defined as all time periods during which a required, tournament associated event is taking place on the facilities of the disc golf course or courses. This should include, but not be limited to, all rounds of disc golf and the player's meeting. Any additional events that the Tournament Director deems included are also eligible to fall under these rules. "

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
December 16, 2010 10:19AM
Looks Great!
December 16, 2010 11:48AM
I already added the section for Punishment because the BoD from that time stated that those were the exact words to be used.

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
December 16, 2010 12:05PM
I've now added the section for BoD Member Resignation procedures. I've also added the following section from the BoD minutes on 10/28/09: [www.sndg.org]

2. Voted 6-0 to adopt an attendance policy for BOD members. If you miss three consecutive meetings then you will be placed on probation and can not miss another meeting for the following three months. If you miss a meeting while in probation period you will be taken off board.

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
December 16, 2010 12:11PM
I'm now adding this to section 1.6 per this thread [www.sndg.org] The minutes from 12/9/09 read as follows.

"2. Voted 4-1 (Josh voting no) to amend the 6 month rule. As it sits now, the rule says that if you cash (win something in a tourney) in a division that you cannot play in any other division lower than that division you have cashed in for 6 months from the last time you cashed in said division. We changed that rule to a 4 consecutive tournament minimum in that cashed division instead of 6 months. This unless there are special circumstances such as injury. If this occurs, each individual case will be voted on by the BOD."

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2010 12:13PM by jtolbert.
December 16, 2010 12:19PM
Modifying section 2.3 per the minutes on 9/29/10 [www.sndg.org] They read....

"- Player must play one full round in a tournament to earn 2 points (4-1)"

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
December 16, 2010 12:22PM
Revising section 1.3 per the minutes from 12/1/10. [www.sndg.org]

They read...
Age Protected Divisions
* PDGA Rules apply
* To clarify wording in SN rule book. A player can participate in the age protected division they qualify for the "Calendar Year" they turn the necessary age (40, 50, etc.) EX. A player can start playing Masters in Jan. of the year they turn 40, even if their birthday is in October of that year.
* Voted 4-0 to pass.

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
December 16, 2010 12:26PM
Ok, I've gone through every posting of meeting minutes that I could find that reflect changes to the handbook. I've since gone in and made those changes on Google Docs. The reason why is so we can look at the handbook as a whole and determine if everything is ok. Basically, this Google Docs version will serve as a "Draft" until we can finalize it.
Read over it and let me know what you think.
[docs.google.com]

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
December 16, 2010 01:32PM
Justin, Great job on getting this pushed forward. I believe the problem now will be getting this out to the TD's. I will help anyway I can. Thanks guys and gal.

"HOGMAN"
HyZer Nation
December 16, 2010 01:35PM
Thanks Allan,
The best part about Google Docs is that it's available anywhere, everywhere, and anytime. The TD can print it anytime they're online, plus the BoD can update it in real time.

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
December 16, 2010 01:41PM
*Update*

Inserted a hyperlink at the top of the page linking our handbook to the PDGA Rules of Play

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
December 16, 2010 02:14PM
*Update*

Added a section with guidelines for SN Qualifer Tournaments. All of this information came from the updated tournament application that was submitted by John K.

Remember - this is a DRAFT!

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
December 16, 2010 04:23PM
jtolbert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> jtolbert Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > 2. A vote on procedure for replacing resigning
> SN
> > board members during their term was taken. It
> was
> > decided a couple meeting ago in principal that
> the
> > person would be replaced by the person with the
> > largest percent of votes from the last election
> > that didn’t become a board member. If that
> > person elects to not take that position then
> the
> > seat would be vacant until the next SN Board
> > election. Voting was unanimous in favor.
>
> 7. 4.7 Board Member Resignation
> a. (4.7.1) In the event of a board
> member's resigning, the seat will be filled by the
> candidate with the highest amount of votes from
> the most recent election that did not become a
> board member.
> b. (4.7.2 If the eligible replacement
> elects to not fill the open seat, the seat will
> remain vacant until the next Southern Nationals
> Board Member election.
>
> Thoughts?

I would strive to keep all the board spots full at all times. You could probably go about filling a spot two ways....

1. Once the election for the year has taken place, and a space opens up, the board can choose who fills the open seat

...or...

2. You can ask the players to nominate who they would like to see fill the spot and make a group decision in the next meeting.

Either way...I would choose one, and stick with it.
December 16, 2010 08:37PM
I'm not sure how I feel on those issues. This coming from one of two people left at the end of the last season.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take me to the window and understand
I got a rocking chair in my skin.
And every time the wind blows
It brings me down to meet the mood I'm in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SN Top25 Bag Tag database
BRDGA Top10 Bag Tag database
MADGA Top10 Bag Tag database
SFC Top10 Bag Tag database
December 17, 2010 07:43AM
I didn't pull the Board Member Resignation thing out of thin air. I added it in there because a previous BoD started the guideline here: [www.sndg.org] .
May 4, 2005: "2. A vote on procedure for replacing resigning SN board members during their term was taken. It was decided a couple meeting ago in principal that the person would be replaced by the person with the largest percent of votes from the last election that didn’t become a board member. If that person elects to not take that position then the seat would be vacant until the next SN Board election. Voting was unanimous in favor."

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
December 17, 2010 08:33AM
Thanks Cristin for the input! Definitely something to think about as we are updating the SN Handbook.....keep the great ideas coming :)

Leslie
December 17, 2010 08:37AM
*Update*

Attempted to streamline the handbook and remove some redundant numbering. (Thanks, Gary!)

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
December 17, 2010 08:39AM
*Update*

Added some spacing to help separate sections from each other to make it easier to read and follow.

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
December 17, 2010 09:07AM
*Update*

Clarified the wording at the top of the document stating that we use the PDGA Official Rules of Disc Golf instead of Rules of Play. We actually use more than just the Rules of Play. We may have to go in further and specify certain sections of the official rules. Thanks Terry!

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2010 09:45AM by jtolbert.
December 17, 2010 10:52AM
Tournament Directors are granted the discretion to disqualify a player based on the severity of the offending conduct. An official warning of disqualification may be issued by a director where they deem appropriate.

B. Disqualified players shall forfeit any prize money and shall not receive a refund of entry fees.

C. Any warnings or DQ's according to the guidelines above reported to the board will be counted against that player. A single disqualification or two warnings with a 12 month period will carry a 12 month probation period effective on the date of the disqualification or 2nd warning. During that probation period another warning or disqualification will carry a 3 month suspension from ANY SN disc golf event AND that player will not be allowed to play in any SN championship event for the SN year that the second infraction occurred. The probation period will also be restarted from the date of the second infraction for another year. Another infraction of these rules during the new probationary period will result in a minimum 1 year suspension from SN tournament play, permanent probation, and the player must request reinstatement after that year from the board before participating in another SN qualifier or championship. A third infraction will be dealt with specifically by the board but a permanent ban from SN events will be seriously considered.

Seems unnecessarily doubly punitive to me.

it MUST be the plastic
December 17, 2010 11:22AM
We may revisit it. That's just the guidelines that a previous BoD voted on.

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
December 17, 2010 02:00PM
How so Doug?

If you can't contain yourself and you get DQ'd twice or warned 3 times or some variation of that. Should there not be harsher penalties?

You get at least one for "free", if you did something that warrants a dq under that guideline then it's time to slow down and make sure you don't do that again.

December 17, 2010 07:06PM
I understand the need for punishment/probation for rules violations; but shouldn't an appeals process be included? Since we follow PDGA rules....

PDGA Disciplinary Action Appeals Process
December 17, 2010 09:52PM
I TOTALLY agree that we should have an Appeals process!!

December 18, 2010 08:11AM
Gilly, obviously you must have misread my post or missed the AND in this sentence.

During that probation period another warning or disqualification will carry a 3 month suspension from ANY SN disc golf event AND that player will not be allowed to play in any SN championship event for the SN year that the second infraction occurred.

That makes it doubly punitive. Why have both? with the inclusion of AND you are now dishing a double dose. This AND that.
So player A gets dq in july and then warned in say September..... you are then DQ ing someone from the SNC's in June the next calendar year AND more than 6 months off.

Yeah I'd say that's doubly punitive.

JABBA

it MUST be the plastic
December 18, 2010 09:54AM
Nope, didn't miss it... just think that should give you cause to mind your manners and obey the rules.

How hard is it really? If you can't keep from having a melt down and doing something that will get you DQ'd then get therapy!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 27
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013