Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Re: Southern Nationals Handbook
December 19, 2010 02:35PM
I agree with Doug. Disqualification from the championships is unecessarily punitive.
December 19, 2010 07:27PM
I don't get it. It's not like it's "first offense"... you have to do it at LEAST twice... and the TD is the one that has to DQ you.

If your temper is SO bad that you get DQ'd by a td TWICE! then maybe it should be a larger penalty.

Other than score mistakes, I have NEVER been even STROKED much less in danger of being DQ'd from ANY event.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take me to the window and understand
I got a rocking chair in my skin.
And every time the wind blows
It brings me down to meet the mood I'm in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SN Top25 Bag Tag database
BRDGA Top10 Bag Tag database
MADGA Top10 Bag Tag database
SFC Top10 Bag Tag database
December 20, 2010 09:25AM
Check the rule again, Kevin. A player can be banned from the Championships without being DQed even once.
December 20, 2010 10:04AM
True. 3 Warnings = No soup for you.
December 20, 2010 07:33PM
I am aware of that.

It's Semantics... I think 2 warnings is potentially worse than 1 dq. If you can't get the hint after 2 warnings then you have worse problems than a single dq.

Dex
December 21, 2010 09:35AM
This could become sort of like a ''Witch Hunt"

In some parks, all of (BRECs) the usage of any knid of tobacco product is against park rules, example: cigarettes, cigars, pipes, and whatever else

Parks are ''Smoke Free''

So I guess my question is, if a T.D. sees a player smoking a cigar in the woods during play, and does not really care, (as well as the other players on his card), but someone else sees the T.D., not reprimanding the 1st. player, are we then going to be trying to punish the T.D.?

just a question, because I feel this could get ugly

Dex
December 21, 2010 09:52AM
No, it's not about semantics. [dictionary.reference.com] It's about the 2 different things that can get a person banned from the Championships. "Warnings" are ill-defined and allow far too much subjective enforcement to provide a reasonable and fair basis for such a severe penalty.
December 21, 2010 09:28PM
Rob, when I say semantics I mean that I just didn't bother typing out "warning" also... everyone complains I post too much right? ;)

The "warning" is only for offenses that could get you DQ'd.... it is just up to the TD on whether he wants to warn you vs DQ'ing you. It takes more warnings than DQ's so it still comes down to, if you are breaking those rules and you get warned and then you manage to do it and get warned at another event... then it's time to slow your roll and get a grip on your ability to follow some basic rules.

That person should be thankful that they only got warned and not DQ'd... warnings being doubly lenient over DQ'ing because of this rule.

December 22, 2010 07:02AM
What about the rule that was passed for pro women to play with the am/adv men if there was no other women to play with, and to allow women points in that division to play in the SNAC...did I miss it somewhere?

Thank you New Board Members.. Your doing a Fantastic job!!

Michelle "Snap"

pdga# 30918
wdga# 098
December 22, 2010 10:10AM
Good call Snap!

December 31, 2010 06:10PM
Well??

Michelle "Snap"

pdga# 30918
wdga# 098
January 03, 2011 08:23AM
What about a person who has been caught numerous times for cheating throughout the years? That person is always shaving strokes off, and there have been NO consequences from Southern Nationals. Everybody in the group has to concentrate on that person's score for each hole which is not fair.
January 03, 2011 02:38PM
Michelle...Justin will have to update. I'm sure he will as soon as he can.

Karen....I totally agree, but want you to realize it is not just a SN thing, but also PDGA. The person I believe you are refering to plays majority PDGA, and I'm sure cheating occurs there...with NO CONSEQUENCES either. We can't call it a SN problem that has to be solved using our handbook, but it is on a tournament by tournament or TD by TD basis. When you enter a tournament and that person is playing you could let the TD know as well as the other players. That way everyone is keeping an eye on that player, and then you would follow normal disqualifications procedures which are in the PDGA handbook if the player does cheat at that tournament.

I hope this helps ladies!
January 05, 2011 04:14PM
I can call it a SN problem if the offense keeps occurring in Southern Nationals only tournaments. I know it happens in the PDGA, too. I do see more punishments handed out by the PDGA. The PDGA does have a formal disciplinary process with a Disciplinary Committee that hands out suspensions and probations. Some punishment is better than hardly or no punishment.In SN only tournaments, it has to be addressed by Southern Nationals, not the PDGA. There needs to be some kind of system to address it and fairly handout some type of consequence especially when the offense keeps happening.

Karen

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2011 04:52PM by Karen J..
January 05, 2011 07:50PM
Any warnings or DQ's according to the guidelines above reported to the board will be counted against that player. A single disqualification or two warnings with a 12 month period will carry a 12 month probation period effective on the date of the disqualification or 2nd warning. During that probation period another warning or disqualification will carry a 3 month suspension from ANY SN disc golf event AND that player will not be allowed to play in any SN championship event for the SN year that the second infraction occurred. The probation period will also be restarted from the date of the second infraction for another year. Another infraction of these rules during the new probationary period will result in a minimum 1 year suspension from SN tournament play, permanent probation, and the player must request reinstatement after that year from the board before participating in another SN qualifier or championship. A third infraction will be dealt with specifically by the board but a permanent ban from SN events will be seriously considered.

I think one of the keys is it has to be reported. First it has to be reported to the TD, then it needs to be reported to the BOD. We are in the process of discussing the handbook and updating it at meetings, so this will be up for discussion. But, if someone cheats on your card tell the TD, if they don't follow through then let one of the BOD know. If we aren't aware then we don't know. If we could utilize the process it would work. Thanks for the input!
Leslie
January 06, 2011 10:01AM
As soon as I get the actual wording that was defined by the BoD that held the vote, I can implement the Pro Women playing in Am rule into the handbook.

As far as the punishments go, as laid back and non-confrontational as I've seen many TDs act, I doubt we'll even see that issue come up.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
BHS Disc Golf [www.youtube.com]
Mobile, Alabama
March 03, 2011 01:42PM
Somehow I missed this. I'll have to add it to the handbook.
[www.sndg.org]

"4. Established the following standards for charity event waivers:
A. The event must be for a specific purpose/charity.
B. It must be a one time event.
C. The SN must be listed as an event sponsor equal to the amount of the waived fees.
D. The event/TD must apply at least one month in advance of the event to the BOD for the waiver"

*********Added as 6.3*********

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
BHS Disc Golf [www.youtube.com]
Mobile, Alabama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2011 01:47PM by jtolbert.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013