Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

BOD Minutes 1/5/11

Posted by lesliez 
BOD Minutes 1/5/11
January 05, 2011 10:01PM
Members Present: Leslie Easterling, Jamie Massengle, Kevin Richard, Justin Tolbert

8:10pm

Tournament Discussions
- Jubilee tournament sanctioning was validated 4-0
- AL states discussed but not voted on, due to the fact that fees weren't collected.
- Voted to add "must contact BOD 30 days prior to tournament for sanctioning" if it doesn't meet 2 rounds of 18 (4-0)

Handbook Update
- Reviewed Pro Women rule voted on last year, and working to get it added to the guidelines

BOD Resignation
- Marc Darby resigned at 8:45pm from his BOD position
- Following guidelines... Dillion G. will be contacted to see if he is still interested in the position

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2011 10:03PM by lesliez.
Re: BOD Minutes 1/5/11
January 06, 2011 08:38AM
Dillon has accepted the position and is eager to help out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take me to the window and understand
I got a rocking chair in my skin.
And every time the wind blows
It brings me down to meet the mood I'm in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SN Top25 Bag Tag database
BRDGA Top10 Bag Tag database
MADGA Top10 Bag Tag database
SFC Top10 Bag Tag database
January 06, 2011 09:22AM
Interesting stuff. Goodluck Dillon. Have fun.

"HOGMAN"
HyZer Nation
January 06, 2011 09:41AM
bigal5657 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting stuff. Goodluck Dillon. Have fun.

LOL to say the lease......

Field limited to 90 players
[www.facebook.com]
January 06, 2011 09:54AM
Anybody have the minutes from when the Pro Women rule was voted on? I need to see the wording before we can add it to the handbook.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
BHS Disc Golf [www.youtube.com]
Mobile, Alabama
January 06, 2011 10:15AM
It is mentioned on 4-14-10 Number 2. I will look to see if I can find anymore info.

Leslie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2011 10:23AM by lesliez.
Anonymous User
January 06, 2011 12:28PM
Let the fun begin.
January 06, 2011 03:39PM
lesliez Wrote:
> - AL states discussed but not voted on, due to the fact that fees weren't collected.

What is the point of voting after the tournament is already done? I would have never expected a vote from the SN Board after the tournament date in the first place. The td never got a response of any kind to tell him that the tournament was/wasn't sanctioned by SN and why it was/wasn't voted on before the tournament date. AL States was discussed but not voted on, due to the fact that the tournament director didn't collect SN fees because of the possibility of non-sanctioning by the SN. He didn't collect fees because nobody from SN contacted him about his request that he had sent in the middle of December. The td couldn't advertise it as a SN tournament. The tournament was Dec. 31st.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2011 04:13PM by Karen J..
January 06, 2011 08:05PM
Karen,

That was the short note taking version. We discussed the situation and how it unfolded, hence the updating of our procedure for sanctioning tournaments that don't meet criteria. Which is to help avoid situations like that arising again. We realized after 30 minutes of discussion there was no point in a vote, therefore in the notes I let everyone know we didn't vote on it, and our reasoning for not. We supply the notes so SN players know what was discussed and what the final outcome was.

Hopefully the new process will help avoid having issues like this in the future. Thank for your concern!
Leslie
January 06, 2011 09:21PM
It is humorous to me that voting on it was even brought up during the SN Board meeting. It was a done deal the day of the tournament.

There should be a backup plan. If all Board members can't participate, there needs to some kind of procedure with the available members to vote on things.

Not responding at all to a request for a tournament to be SN sanctioned for at least sixteen days after the fact can be a deterrent for those wanting to put on a SN tournament. Nobody from SN contacted the td even after he sent numerous emails. This could be viewed as unprofessional. Somebody from SN should have contacted him by email, pm, or a phone call explaining the circumstances.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2011 10:06PM by Karen J..
January 07, 2011 07:49AM
Karen,
The BoD discussed it because the players brought it up for discussion on the forum. Before you keep pursuing your issue of the BoD being the "bad guy", think about some of the circumstances surrounding this:

-If a tournament is going to take place on December 31st, am I wrong in thinking that the TD should request sanctioning earlier than 2 weeks before the tourney?
-It was Christmas break. Many people were on vacation, away from consistent internet access. I was one of them.
-Maybe it is unprofessional, but that's what you get when you aren't dealing with professionals. We're volunteers. I, as well as the others, have a lot more going on that just the SN BoD. Church, my family, and my job are all going to get priority over the BoD. If the people don't like it, vote to have me removed. It wouldn't hurt my feelings.
-The discussion was necessary, because we don't want this happening again. Therefore, as a result of the discussion, we've established and put in place a 30 day period in which the TD needs to contact the BoD to seek sanctioning.

I'm not trying to attack you in any way, but it seems like you're missing the other side to this. We've seen and understand your side, that's why it was discussed. A TD shouldn't have to wait until after his tournament to get word from the BoD. This was just a "perfect storm" of variables that caused this situation to not be handled efficiently.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2011 08:40AM by jtolbert.
January 07, 2011 08:15AM
Well said Justin. Ditto. :)

Also, I don't believe there were numerous attempts to contact us. Just one....John K got an email on the 15th and it was sent to BOD on 16th. That was the only form of contact. Just clearing some points up.

I do want to point something out....we haven't lost a TD in Chris P. from this. He has 6 tournaments on the schedule for the next year, so hopefully he will take a positive from those and that will outweigh this negative. :) So, we at least know we didn't loose a great TD over this, and it is a learning experience for ALL.

Leslie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2011 08:38AM by lesliez.
January 07, 2011 09:13AM
Also if you meet the guidelines of two rounds of 18 (min) then you are automatically sanctioned and don't need to wait for the board. It is only when you are outside of the set parameters that things get gray. Just like the min. distance from another tournament, if you want to hold your tournament closer you can IF they other TD agrees. He doesn't HAVE to and that doesn't make him "unprofessional" if he doesn't or even if he doesn't get back to them. You just follow the guidelines in place.

January 07, 2011 09:24AM
Justin,

I'm not viewing the BoD as the "bad guy", and I' sorry that you are taking it that way. I don't feel that you are attacking me in any way. An attack would be calling me a name or using profanity towards me. By the way, I am happy that you are addressing the forum issues and trying to make it have a professional standard. Regarding Alabama States, I view it as Southern Nationals making a mistake that should not have been made. I agree that it was not handled efficiently. One email or phone call to the td is not too much to ask in sixteen or more days. I do know you are volunteers, not professionals. If you want SN to be treated like a professional organization with intregrity, then you have to respond in a timely matter. I agree that the discussion was necessary, and I am quite happy that you are addressing it. Thank you for listening.

Karen
January 07, 2011 09:37AM
So there was never a BOD member on the Internet or the forum at all during those two weeks? And why fo you think you must be a Professtional in order to act professional?

Terry Zeringue
January 07, 2011 10:25AM
Zinger this has been discussed in more detail in the other thread.

January 07, 2011 10:56AM
TheZinger Wrote:
> So there was never a BOD member on the Internet or
> the forum at all during those two weeks? And why
> fo you think you must be a Professtional in order
> to act professional?

It's not the matter of being a professional in order to act professional. It's the matter acting as a professional in regards to timely response. If this were my only responsibility, I could answer every question ASAP. However, due to the Christmas break, we couldn't get enough people together to actually "discuss" it.

Honestly, I would never cast a vote over the phone in regards to this situation. There are things that I would want to talk about that ALL BoD members need to be in earshot of, not just the person who is calling me. I also would want the opinion of the other 5 members straight from their mouths, not through a mediator.

I know of 2 BoD members that DID get the e-mail and had internet access. But, again, that's not enough to make a decision. I had no internet access. My internet access is limited to when I'm at work and on Wednesday nights for the meetings, period. Being a school teacher, I was out for 2 weeks without internet access. So, even if they HAD called me, I would have either not voted or voted to not sanction due to the guidelines and setting a precedent.

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
January 07, 2011 11:03AM
Good point Justin, I have been in meetings and felt one way about a topic and when someone brought up an angle I hadn't thought of it changed my view of it completely. That is why we have meetings and that is why there are 6 of us.

January 07, 2011 12:04PM
Well for the future, if a td sends an email and is waiting for an answer, a 'I'm sorry, but due to the holidays and the two week notice, we won't be able to vote on this issue this year' is better than a no response at all.

Terry Zeringue
January 07, 2011 12:38PM
Also for the record Zinger... the board was never sent an email. John K was sent the email and it was forwarded to Leslie.. then Leslie contacted us.

Very long line of communication that takes time in and of itself. Also, we were of course HOPING others would chime in... but without them communicating to us that they weren't going to communicate with us, it is really hard to tell someone something which you don't know.

January 07, 2011 12:59PM
TheZinger Wrote:
> Well for the future, if a td sends an email and is
> waiting for an answer, a 'I'm sorry, but due to
> the holidays and the two week notice, we won't be
> able to vote on this issue this year' is better
> than a no response at all.

I completely agree. I wish I could edit my previous post. You lose that function on this forum for some reason. I meant integrity, not intregrity. LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2011 01:01PM by Karen J..
January 07, 2011 01:01PM
Most of the bod knew about the situation before the tournament. It doesn't matter it y'all could have voted on it or not, a reply saying anything would, IMO, have been better than no reply. That's all I'm saying.

Terry Zeringue
January 07, 2011 01:03PM
And I'm not saying anyone did bad, just saying for the future.

Terry Zeringue
January 07, 2011 01:12PM
TheZinger Wrote:
> Well for the future, if a td sends an email and is
> waiting for an answer, a 'I'm sorry, but due to
> the holidays and the two week notice
, we won't be
> able to vote on this issue this year' is better
> than a no response at all.

The great thing is...we as the BOD....agreed that this could have been handled better on both ends, and to avoid this happening in the future for us and/or the future BODs, we added the 30 days prior. We don't realize there's a problem till it happens, and all we can do is try to fix the problem for the future rather than assume it won't happen again.

Thanks for your understanding!
January 07, 2011 02:33PM
"Also for the record Zinger... the board was never sent an email. John K was sent the email and it was forwarded to Leslie.. then Leslie contacted us."

Just to clarify for Gilligan, I responded to the TD and Cc'd not just Leslie but all the SN Board members.

Here was my email:

Chris
I will forward this to the SN Board. It's there call. If you have been following the forums lately there was an issue recently concerning a tournament that wasn't 2 full rounds of 18. The board did put out this statement:

The SN welcomes a wide variety of tournaments for sanctioning however to help maintain the integrity of the series we ask that the tournament be at least 2 rounds of 18. If your tournament doesn’t meet that qualification you can still apply for sanctioning however sanctioning will be at the discretion of the SN Board.

I know the Alabama State Championships is one of the longest running disc golf tournaments and hope you they allow sanctioning.

Let me know how it turns out and if approved will be happy to post to the SN schedule.

(I'm cc'ing the SN Board members they are Josh Lenox, Marc Darby, Leslie Easterling, Kevin Richard, Justin Tolbert, and Jamie Massengale respectively)

Thanks
John k

JOhn k
January 07, 2011 02:43PM
TheZinger Wrote:
> Most of the bod knew about the situation before
> the tournament. It doesn't matter it y'all could
> have voted on it or not, a reply saying anything
> would, IMO, have been better than no reply. That's
> all I'm saying.

We've realized this. That's why we've implemented the 30 days notice. Like I said, I think it ultimately boils down to bad timing on several parties' parts. Not only were we contacted at an awkward time, but we had a BoD member in the process of resigning, etc. etc.

Now that we've seen a fault in the system, we can correct it. Thanks for the input guys and gals.

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
January 07, 2011 03:11PM
Well the only way to learn is by making a mistake. Y'all are still doing good, I personally can see an improvement in the last few months.

Terry Zeringue
January 07, 2011 03:14PM
John, you are correct... I was mixing this up with the previous LR issue. My appolgies, thanks for correcting the chain of events.

Most of the bod knew about the situation before the tournament.

Zinger, there is NO way to know that most the board knew about the issue. We don't and may never know if Darby got the email, I haven't spoken with Josh since before this to know if he got the email. We also don't know if J got the email, as far as I know, none of those guys replied to it. So basically the 3 of us that have responded here are the only ones that I can tell you for sure actually knew about the problem before it was too late.

January 07, 2011 03:15PM
TheZinger Wrote:
> Well the only way to learn is by making a mistake.
> Y'all are still doing good, I personally can see
> an improvement in the last few months.

Well, not hard to improve on a 2 person board. :p (I know what you meant.)

January 07, 2011 08:10PM
Regardless of whether the tournament was sanctioned or not, thanks to Chris P. for holding an Alabama State to keep the event going. Not much interest in multi-event tournaments these days.

rWc3523
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

kch
Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013