Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

BoD Minutes 1/19/11

Posted by lesliez 
BoD Minutes 1/19/11
January 20, 2011 09:05AM
Members Present: Leslie Easterling, Josh Lenox, Jamie Massengle, Kevin Richard, Justin Tolbert, Dillon Gourley (entered at 8:22pm)
Meeting started at 8:00pm

Violations
* Motion passed 6-0 to Ban Mike Kernan for second violation. He will have 90 days of removal from forum.
* Discussed Daniel Mowery being added to violation list from 12/15/10 meeting
* Add to letter of banning... "Any attempts to circumvent he ban will result in an extension of the ban to be determined by the BoD"/ Discussed have extra 90 days tacked on (we will continue to discuss this process at future meetings)

Tabled for next meeting.... Further discussion on sanctioning of tournaments and process of BoD resignation.

Meeting ended at 9:30pm
Re: BoD Minutes 1/19/11
January 20, 2011 09:47AM
lesliez Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Members Present: Leslie Easterling, Josh Lenox,
> Jamie Massengle, Kevin Richard, Justin Tolbert,
> Dillon Gourley (entered at 8:22pm)
> Meeting started at 8:00pm
>
> Violations
> * Motion passed 6-0 to Ban Mike Kernan for second
> violation. He will have 90 days of removal from
> forum.

> * Discussed Daniel Mowery being added to violation
> list from 12/15/10 meeting
> * Add to letter of banning... "Any attempts to
> circumvent he ban will result in an extension of
> the ban to be determined by the BoD"/ Discussed
> have extra 90 days tacked on (we will continue to
> discuss this process at future meetings)
>
> Tabled for next meeting.... Further discussion on
> sanctioning of tournaments and process of BoD
> resignation.
>
> Meeting ended at 9:30pm

What were the 2 "violations"?

Field limited to 90 players
[www.facebook.com]
January 20, 2011 10:13AM
He was sent a notice on 1/15 for violation of guideline #1, and was sent a warning by PM 1/16. Then, on 1/16 he violated the very same guideline in a very similar fashion. We are following the process that we laid out.

Leslie
January 20, 2011 10:23AM
LOL......ok

[www.facebook.com]
January 20, 2011 03:44PM
Never mind......It's not worth the effort.......

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2011 03:51PM by Keith Bodin.
January 20, 2011 04:43PM
lesliez Wrote:
> Members Present: Leslie Easterling, Josh Lenox,
> Jamie Massengle, Kevin Richard, Justin Tolbert,
> Dillon Gourley (entered at 8:22pm)
> Meeting started at 8:00pm
>
> Violations
> * Motion passed 6-0 to Ban Mike Kernan for second
> violation. He will have 90 days of removal from
> forum.
> * Discussed Daniel Mowery being added to violation
> list from 12/15/10 meeting
> * Add to letter of banning... "Any attempts to
> circumvent he ban will result in an extension of
> the ban to be determined by the BoD"/ Discussed
> have extra 90 days tacked on (we will continue to
> discuss this process at future meetings)
>
> Tabled for next meeting.... Further discussion on
> sanctioning of tournaments and process of BoD
> resignation.
>

> Meeting ended at 9:30pm

So...Instead of talking about two (what I would consider) very important issues for the SN disc golf community...you spent all your time discussing the forums...???

Don't get me wrong, I think you are all doing a great job...but this seems a little odd to me.

SN business should take precedent over policing the forums. IMO.
January 20, 2011 05:14PM
I agree Bolt... but the players have been asking for the forums to be cleaned up for a long time. It certainly doesn't do any good to create guidelines and the spend all our time cleaning up stuff that violates... there has to be repercussions for violations.

I just wish people would follow the guidelines and then we could get focused on other issues vs this trivial stuff. I'm sure some people feel that this should be our top priority. Basically, and you know this, you will never please everyone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take me to the window and understand
I got a rocking chair in my skin.
And every time the wind blows
It brings me down to meet the mood I'm in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SN Top25 Bag Tag database
BRDGA Top10 Bag Tag database
MADGA Top10 Bag Tag database
SFC Top10 Bag Tag database
January 20, 2011 05:18PM
why not create a "team" to police the forum to report to you guys. It would allow you all to focus on things that will push forward the series other than the dumb forum.

Just a thought.

"HOGMAN"
HyZer Nation
January 20, 2011 05:21PM
You'd still have to address all the reports.

January 20, 2011 05:25PM
but you do not have to waste meeting time to do it. They could be sent in emails throughout the time in between meetings.

"HOGMAN"
HyZer Nation
January 20, 2011 05:30PM
That may work at a future point... I am just not sure it is fine tuned enough for that.

January 20, 2011 05:39PM
It is easier to ban someone for using the term 1/2(!) than address things like the finical report, or people doing thing during rounds or sanctioning of tournaments and process of BoD resignation.

I will be expecting my warning soon.

[www.facebook.com]
January 20, 2011 06:02PM
Yes, way to go BOD. This type of action can only help to better OUR best way to communicate with each other about disc golf. It is sad that certain people cannot understand the true function of the forum. I for one have been totally aganist the garbage that people want us to filter through to read threads. Keep up your efforts to continue to make SN golf better for present and future golfers.
January 20, 2011 06:09PM
Keith
I will be expecting my warning soon.

What for? You didn't say anything the broke the rules... You are absolutely welcome to voice your opinions good or bad about the BoD and any decisions we make. We need this sort of feed back so we can better understand the players. We just think it can be done without any sort of profanity.

January 20, 2011 06:16PM
Gilligan Wrote:
> I agree Bolt... but the players have been asking
> for the forums to be cleaned up for a long time.
> It certainly doesn't do any good to create
> guidelines and the spend all our time cleaning up
> stuff that violates... there has to be
> repercussions for violations.
>
> I just wish people would follow the guidelines and
> then we could get focused on other issues vs this
> trivial stuff. I'm sure some people feel that
> this should be our top priority. Basically, and
> you know this, you will never please everyone.

I hear ya.
Anonymous User
January 20, 2011 06:31PM
Keith Bodin
1/2(!)

Hmmmm.
January 20, 2011 06:46PM
I dare you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[www.facebook.com]
January 20, 2011 08:30PM
Keith, what is your from the heart opinion about the forum?
January 21, 2011 07:31AM
Robert,
PM sent.

[www.facebook.com]
January 21, 2011 07:42AM
There are several major things going on outside of meetings. Leslie handles a lot of the forum policing, meetings, and notifications; I've been working on Google Docs forms (Handbook, Forum Records, etc.); J provides comic relief; and Gilligan is trying to keep us all open-minded without antagonizing anyone on the forums. ;)
Basically, we're doing a lot more than just the hour or hour and a half that you're seeing in the minutes. The minutes are just covering the things we have to get together and vote on.

I really don't think a "team" that works on the forums would work. It's hard enough getting anybody to step up and do anything. It seems right now that the team would be Leslie, Kevin, myself, and maybe Dillon (don't know much yet). We're the ones that do the most reponding through PMs and spot-checking posts. Thanks for the idea though. I have my own idea of how the forum should be managed, but it's not possible with our current hosting situation.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
BHS Disc Golf [www.youtube.com]
Mobile, Alabama
Anonymous User
January 21, 2011 08:18AM
I am here to help anyway that is needed, just let me know.
January 21, 2011 09:29AM
Sounds like a giant waste of time to dedicate a meeting to Mike and another violator. I think you are making his point for him about the SN BOD.
Anonymous User
January 21, 2011 09:41AM
These are legit issues that have to be discussed and brought up. We went over other topics that we will discuss next meeting.
January 21, 2011 09:48AM
Yes, more things than that were discussed. This was also the first time we had to ban someone under the guidelines, so there was some unchartered territory that we had to get out of the way. Obviously if someone gets themselves banned from here on out, it wouldn't take up nearly as much time as we have procedure set up.

We spend very little time with warnings now but it took up a couple of meetings ironing out what was a violation and what wasn't. All part of the process.

January 21, 2011 10:49AM
Keith got your pm and sent one back to you. Thanks and good luck on your fund raiser this week end.

Being on the Board is a tough thing for volunteers to do. Especially when it comes down to being FORCED to 'discpline' a fellow golfer. Kernan has done a lot of good over the years but he has been a thorn in the side of everybody who has tried to keep the forum a family and sponsor friendly place to check out SN golf. I know it was a tough decision but ya'll followed the guidelines. Thanks to all of you for your efforts and time.

Inkjunky, put a name with your post and people will give more consideration to your posts and opinions.
January 21, 2011 12:25PM
It wasn't such a snap decision. Making our first ban took some discussion.
If we were to give him a "second chance" on this, that would mean that we would have to be giving everyone from here on out a "second chance" after they've already been warned.
After the initial warning was issued, there was an argument from the recipient about whether or not what he said was in violation. I clearly stated to him what the violation was. He chose to do it again anyways. We did what we had to do.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
January 21, 2011 12:47PM
I believe the BOD knew all along they wanted Mike off the forum. I believe the BOD took the 1st opportunity offered to get rid of him. What is to stop the BOD from finding someone else to put in their cross-hairs when they don't agree with that person's post? I strongly disagree with a adult being banned for a word that is by no mean profanity. If this is the direction you are going to take, Then make a list of words the BOD deems inappropriate for use on the forum. Or is it a better use of time to blindside the people you don't want posting?

The questions in this post are rhetorical and don't require or need answers.

[www.facebook.com]
Anonymous User
January 21, 2011 12:53PM
Keith, type the word, it is filtered, hence is a word you can not use on this forum. I personally like Mike and have no beef with anyone, but if you break a rule that is in black and white then you can expect consequences.
January 21, 2011 01:18PM
Keith... we personally had a conversation about this.

All of these points were (I thought) addressed to satisfaction. You yourself agreed once put into perspective that if you tell someone that X is not allowed and then they immediately post X then action should be taken.

I also explained to you VERY clearly that Kernan was in NO way in ANY cross hairs. Posters are in sole control of what they post.

You are welcome to post EVERY concern that you do... we just would appreciate you do that with out using curse words. Just the same as I'm sure I'm welcome to express my points of view in your home... but I bet there is a line I could cross with my language around your family. At some point you will ask me to refrain from certain words, if I didn't abide by that request I imagine that I would be (at the LEAST) shown the door and asked to leave.

Do you not agree with that?

January 21, 2011 01:50PM
The only people that have received warnings and consequences are those people who have not followed the guidelines that we've put in place. The opinion of a player doesn't cause us to put that person in a cross-hair. That's ignorant. We know that no matter what decision we make, there will be backlash and disagreement. I don't have anything personal against Kernan. He let himself get carried away and decided to deliberately do what we were telling him not to do.
There have been others who have said as much against the BoD as Kernan, if not more. They haven't received any sort of warning or PM from us in regards to it. They've been able to speak their mind, and they did it as an adult that can control themself.
You may not deem the "a-word" as profanity. However, it was made clear to him in his warning, and a subsequent PM from me, that the word was not acceptable. If the word is a part of your every day vocabulary, that doesn't mean it's acceptable. On a private forum, you must conform to the guidelines that are in place.

Keith Bodin Wrote:
> I believe the BOD knew all along they wanted Mike
> off the forum. I believe the BOD took the 1st
> opportunity offered to get rid of him. What is to
> stop the BOD from finding someone else to put in
> their cross-hairs when they don't agree with that
> person's post? I strongly disagree with a adult
> being banned for a word that is by no mean
> profanity. If this is the direction you are going
> to take, Then make a list of words the BOD deems
> inappropriate for use on the forum. Or is it a
> better use of time to blindside the people you
> don't want posting?
>
> The questions in this post are rhetorical and
> don't require or need answers.

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013