Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Double standards of the Board of Directors

Posted by inkjunky 
Re: Double standards of the Board of Directors
February 04, 2011 09:15AM
Actually your boy Kernan has had several threads started about him all the same. Going WAY back before I was even around all the way till present day.

So I figure I got a few more good years in me till I flake out on everyone.

Again, anything I did on the board's behalf were all undoable... so there is no harm no foul if the board decides they want them back... they haven't asked for them back so I guess my actions were in line with what the board wanted. I also moved one of Dillon's post a long time ago that had a link to a questionable cartoon... I didn't get approval on that one first either... but it was clear that it didn't belong in the public forum.

Censorship of what? That is my question... I mean, I plead for you to please post what we are censoring... which is the opposite of what censorship is. So I am not sure how we are censoring anything. Let this cat out of the bag.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take me to the window and understand
I got a rocking chair in my skin.
And every time the wind blows
It brings me down to meet the mood I'm in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SN Top25 Bag Tag database
BRDGA Top10 Bag Tag database
MADGA Top10 Bag Tag database
SFC Top10 Bag Tag database
February 04, 2011 09:58AM
Gilligan wrote:
"I also have edited one of Leslie's post without talking to anyone because I caught a mistake she was making... I pm'd her to inform her and she thanked me and we moved on."

That's not right. You should never be editing other people's posts without prior approval.
February 04, 2011 10:08AM
Rob... even if she is accidentally revealing an identity of someone because her admin rights lets her see things regular users don't?

I think in the face of protecting someone's identity from a mistake there is a good reason to cross that line. When you are told "thanks for catching that, I didn't think about that"... it is a good sign that you did the right thing. Some times, time is of the essence.

But if someone post up some personal information about you such as your cc numbers or your social... I'll make sure to contact that person first or get 3 members approval (even though that can take days) before I edit that post.

February 04, 2011 10:08AM
GIVE GILLY SOME CREDIT,,,,,,he deserves it,what a stand up guy.

BMB
February 04, 2011 10:28AM
I agree that sometime being proactive in moderating or editing is called for...

However Gilligan your response to Rob is part of the reason that to some you have a negative image on these boards...

"But if someone post up some personal information about you such as your cc numbers or your social... I'll make sure to contact that person first or get 3 members approval (even though that can take days) before I edit that post"

I think as a SN Board member you should attempt to be more tactful and lay off the obvious sarcasm. In your position sarcasm isn't a good trait to have as it is percieved differently when it comes from someone that has a postion of authority such as aboard member or moderator. Those are the people that should be even keeled and levelheaded and NOT causing dissent.

A better wording would be "I understand under typical situations a post shouldn't be edited without that person's permission, however there are exceptions to this. Examples would be when a third parties' personal information, ie phone number, ss number is posted. Wouldn't you agree?"

But this is just my opinion....

JOhn k
February 04, 2011 10:41AM
That was my first attempt... That didn't seem to work so I used a touch of sarcasm to stress my point.

You have done the same in the past.

February 04, 2011 10:50AM
Gilligan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That was my first attempt... That didn't seem to
> work so I used a touch of sarcasm to stress my
> point.
>
> You have done the same in the past.

Yet again you continue to have to try and have the last word!

And have to throw something about the past or someone elses actions in to try and defend your actions.

Now wonder this thread was started :o}~

February 04, 2011 10:56AM
Because double standards mean... saying don't do this even though one is guilty of doing it themselves. That is why this thread started.

So in that sense I was more on topic than anyone else of recent in this post. *shrug*

February 04, 2011 11:25AM
Thanks for the response Bob. I'm going to try my best not to leave anything out while I respond. If I do, kindly remind me what you still need a response or clarification on.

Tax Man Wrote:
> It depends on your definition. I think him talking
> about things that have happened in the past about
> others is abuse to the people who he is suppose to
> be serving. The t-shirt remark is another example
> of the 2 of you making light of players concern.
> Even if you all dis agree with others you should
> try and refrain from joking as you never know how
> someone else percieves it.

Ok, I'll accept that. I will say that it definitely wasn't intended to be taken the way that you interpreted it. I have more of a nerdy sense of humor, so weird things make me laugh. It was honestly just a statement about how seeing a t-shirt that said "Keyboard Heroes" would be hilarious.
It's ironic that you bring up how other people perceive things. My wife was talking to me about that last night. She was watching me type one of my responses on a different thread and said, "Wow, you really sound like a jerk." I was shocked, because my intended tone and wording wasn't meant to be that way. The difficulty with reading these posts on the internet lies in the absence of tone and inflection. My posts may come across condescending, but I'm really just trying to be straight-forward. I'm going to try my best to be more conscious of that. I'll keep my personal jokes and things like that to PMs as to not give the wrong impression.

> > Kevin only uses his moderator priviledges when
> > the board approves it. He doesn't do anything as a
> > moderator without the rest of us knowing.
> >
> That is not true as he moved the post about the
> bod not being able to play in the snac. He then
> said I was mis representing the SN bod, which was
> not the case as i was speaking for the tournament
> bod. And please do not try and say you all get
> together before a post is removed. Or where you
> trying to say he removes threads that the bod
> voted on in terms of guidelines? But we all know
> you all do whatever you want and are slowly
> destroying the series wether you think so or not.
> You just ran the SNAC TD and assitant out of
> running it for starters!

Please be careful when you speak in generalities, such as "we all know." I've received more appreciation PMs than I have "hate-mail". That's not to say that there are more of one than the other, but it does mean to say that everyone is not of the same mind.
Maybe I should clarify and stress something. From the BoD's perspective, Gilligan hasn't used his moderator priviledges in an abusive way. We've seen and determined that he has used correct judgment. The removal of the post about the SNACs and people being banned can definitely cause some controversy. I see that. However, honestly, I do agree with him removing it. Not as an act of censorship, but to keep it from blowing the situation much more out of proportion. For example, that post was briefly seen and caused some to look at Steve Timm and his tournament in the same light as the SNAC. I'm not saying that was ok or not, but it happened. It gave some people the wrong impression of what was going on. I'm sure you are aware, but according to an e-mail I received there was more than just 8 people that would potentially be banned. The number of people that were threatened to be banned were in the hundreds.
As far as running off the TD of the SNAC, I spoke with Kernan directly on the phone a little more than a week ago. He addressed his concerns and what he thought wasn't fair about the ban and what was fair about the ban. We received much feedback from the rest of the SN about what was unfair about the ban as well. When the BoD went in and corrected what the SN players wanted in regards to the ban, he resigned as TD. I'm sorry if I'm missing how he was "ran off".

> maybe a few people asked but the majority could
> care less about you all's crusade with cleaning up
> the forums. This site has been here for many a
> year longer then the 2 of you have been playing .
> And was doing just fine before you all started
> your crusade!!

It's difficult to say what the majority really is in the SN. The people that post on the forums doesn't give a very accurate picture of the majority. To be honest, there have only been a handful of people complain about the guidelines that I've noticed. I look at it from this perspective: it really shouldn't cause people to stop reading the forums if there's no profanity, nudity, etc.; however, it could cause people to stop reading the forums with there being profanity, nudity, etc. The BoD received enough PMs, calls, and in-person conversations about cleaning up the forum to cause us to take action.
Also, referencing how long someone has been playing or participating in this organization and sport is irrelevant (I believe). Things evolve and change. Being on any type of board doesn't require particular performance characteristics within that field. For example, school boards contain lawyers and professionals within the community, not necessarily teachers. Finance Advisory Boards contain people who are good stewards of their money, not necessarily bankers and CPAs. The SN board has been in need of people that can dedicate time, listen to what the players are requesting for them to put in place, make adjustments as necessary, and continue pushing the series forward versus remaining stagnant. Playing disc golf for 50 years doesn't necessarily mean you can do "all of the above". It can't hurt, but it's not a given advantage.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
BHS Disc Golf [www.youtube.com]
Mobile, Alabama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2011 11:27AM by jtolbert.
February 04, 2011 11:31AM
I have used sarcasm but only on a select few.....the vast majority of my time spent as a board member and contributor of this site when I directed comments at individuals it was in a tackful and respectful way. When I was on the board I understood that when dealing with issues/players their perception of the SN would be inpart based on their perception of me since I was representing the series. Comments like those posted above would tend to allienate players in my opinion. I want to be able to communicate with board members if I have an issue or comment....I'm less likely to do that if I know my comment will be met by a sarcastic comment in return.

I think that sarcasm and an aggressive defensiveness mechanism are some of your individual characteristics (again my perception); I just don’t think in your position those traits serve you well at times.

JOhn k
February 04, 2011 12:58PM
Very well said Justin.

Justin
My wife ... said, "Wow, you really sound like a jerk."

She sounds like a smart woman. ;)

John... I guess I will just leave it at this. I'm glad that I was able to tell the difference between your sarcasm and the SN's official stance.

Understand, your words above don't go unheeded.

February 04, 2011 01:17PM
Thanks Gilligan. I appreciate it. For some people it's hard or they won't make the distinction between a personal post or one in an official capacity, kindave like the President.

JOhn k
February 04, 2011 02:11PM
Gilligan Wrote:
> She sounds like a smart woman. ;)

That she is!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
BHS Disc Golf [www.youtube.com]
Mobile, Alabama
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 91
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013