Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

BoD Minutes 2/2/11

Posted by lesliez 
Re: BoD Minutes 2/2/11
February 03, 2011 06:49PM
Thank you to the board for all of the work that you are putting in. I also commend you on trying to stay fair and open to hearing player's points of view. I wish the best for the series and each of you.

Shane

Transparency of information breeds self correcting behavior!
February 03, 2011 07:00PM
Thanks Shane

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
BHS Disc Golf [www.youtube.com]
Mobile, Alabama
February 05, 2011 03:04PM
BOD will ya'll try and define the phrase "circumvent the profanity filter." Is the Profanity Filter someone sort of software the BOD has installed, or is it the BOD policing this site itself? Thankyou Gilligan for posting your previous statement on this thread(Feb 3, 8:19am) that been my main beef this whole time!!! I actually know Vic, from his days of living in Houston believe or not he was likeable guy. Thanks again
Anonymous User
February 05, 2011 03:27PM
circumvent the profanity filter is when you use characters such as

$ = s
! = i
@ = a

etc... to spell words the filter normally would block.
February 05, 2011 10:15PM
To expand on what Dillon has said and to further answer your question the filter is built into the forum software designed by Brian Moon.

There are a dozen or so words in there that cause @#$%& like this that to happen when you type certain words. Like if you type the a word it will filter it, like this "@#$%&"... BUT if you put a modifier in front of it it might let it slide through... it's not very smart. But if the root word isn't allowed and never has been and no one has complained about that really.. .then why would a slightly modified version of it be allowed. We can go into more details in the private forum if you would like (or better yet via PM).

Obviously we can't list every word or variation of these words because that list would almost be endless. So there is the rule "Circumventing the filter".

As far as our ol boy is concern, I agree that in person he has always been likable... but on here.... I think you can even admit he has gone a bit too far. One of your close friends was even trying to find someone to beat him up for money. ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take me to the window and understand
I got a rocking chair in my skin.
And every time the wind blows
It brings me down to meet the mood I'm in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SN Top25 Bag Tag database
BRDGA Top10 Bag Tag database
MADGA Top10 Bag Tag database
SFC Top10 Bag Tag database
February 06, 2011 08:11AM
Thankyou both for explanation.
February 06, 2011 09:19AM
This is part of the guidelines I've found to be very commen on many many forums. I don't have any experience on these forums, just did a little research. Read the entire thing as it explains alot. Only difference is that the SN BOD allows personal attacks to go out of hand.

•Vulgar Language or Substitutes for Such - Our Service is programmed with a list of words that are considered vulgar under any context, and these words are not allowed to be used under any circumstances. Attempting to bypass the censor by misspelling, inserting spaces or symbols, transposing letters, using look-alike symbols, or any other method is not allowed. The only acceptable method of posting one of these vulgar words is to obscure it, showing no more than the first letter and the length of the word. Additionally, certain words are prohibited from being used in topic titles and user information pages; bypassing the censor to post those words where they are restricted is also disallowed. For example, if "gris" is a censored word, the following are examples of bypassing that are not allowed: g-r-i-s, gr*s, g**s, grizzle, 9|-1$, gr1s, ***s, girs, gryeeeas, Allowed: ****, , ****ed, ****ing, g***, g'ed, g-word. (Note: Neither -ed nor -ing are parts of the banned word "gris".) Taking advantage of any limits in the Service's language filtering capabilities is not allowed. Any limits in such filters shall not be taken as permission to bypass rules regarding vulgar language.

Some additional notes on the Vulgar Language/Censor Bypass rule:
Just because a word is blotted out does not mean it cannot be a violation. If a posting is self-censored but still is in clear violation another rule (i.e. calling someone an obscured racial term, flaming or insulting a user with "**** you"), it is still a violation.
In certain cases, some legitimate, inoffensive words may be inadvertently flagged due to constraints of the censoring system. In these cases, a user should still take steps to ensure that their message does not contain the disallowed word, and report the inadvertent flagging to a moderator or administrator.
Cursing in foreign languages also falls under the vulgar language rule, and is not an acceptable substitute.
Some abbreviations for profanity are allowed at the Administration's discretion. For an example, WTF and FUBAR are words that have been accepted as long as the content does not flame or directly troll a user.
Some censored words can be replaced with a word that isn't considered profanity, such as "Frack" or "Smurf", at the Administration's discretion, but only if these words are not being used to violate any other portion of the Terms of Use, including but not limited to Flaming, Trolling, and Offensive Posting.

•Flaming - Communications clearly insulting other users, individually or as a group, directly or indirectly, are not allowed. This includes, but is not limited to: name-calling ("You're an idiot", "You moron"); direct insults and orders ("Screw you", "Go kill yourself"); insinuations ("Are you stupid or something?"); or insults towards family ("Your mom...").

Terry Zeringue
February 06, 2011 09:30AM
Agreed Zinger.

February 06, 2011 09:32AM
Nice research Zinger.
February 06, 2011 10:37AM
Its nice to know that someone considers me a "close friend". LOL
February 06, 2011 10:42AM
I'm sure you know this Brad... but I have never heard anyone say a bad word about you.

February 06, 2011 11:11AM
Thanks Gilligan, I honestly try to respect everyone, but I have my moments. My only reasons for going to tournements these days, is to see my FRIENDS,cause lord knows my days of winning are behind me!!
February 06, 2011 11:33AM
Maybe that's what I'll start claiming... "my days of winning are behind me" ;)

Sounds better than the truth for me. ;)

Anonymous User
February 06, 2011 05:14PM
I think your days of winning were gone when you hit that tree at the 09 snac!
February 06, 2011 05:17PM
Your comedy career was over after you used that joke the 5th time. :p

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2011 06:08PM by Gilligan.
February 06, 2011 05:58PM
Interesting stuff there Zinger.
I read some forum guidelines a while back that said they allowed "No profanity", then had a clause that said, "if the word is of a foreign language, we will assume it's profanity". I thought it was funny.
Some forums prohibit the use of the acronyms: WTF, LMAO, etc.

Zinger,
Do you feel we should tighten the guidelines to include insults? If so, do you have a suggestion of how we use discretion as to what is "too far"?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
February 06, 2011 06:10PM
I'm interested also... what is a criticism vs an attack.

"You guys robbed us, the pay out was terrible." Some people would claim that that was an "attack".

February 06, 2011 06:22PM
Or "You guys are idiots and ran off one of the best TDs in the SN." Would that count?

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
February 06, 2011 06:26PM
Zinger
•Flaming - Communications clearly insulting other users, individually or as a group, directly or indirectly, are not allowed. This includes, but is not limited to: name-calling ("You're an idiot", "You moron"); direct insults and orders ("Screw you", "Go kill yourself"); insinuations ("Are you stupid or something?"); or insults towards family ("Your mom...").

Looks like according to what Terry found... yep. ;)

February 06, 2011 06:32PM
Wow. Could you imagine if we implemented all of the ones about insults? That would brew some animosity.

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
February 06, 2011 08:10PM
And about only 3 post a day. ;)

February 07, 2011 10:03AM
I have know problem with people defending there ideas(things can and will get heated). I dont like it when people get on here and there only reason is to verbally attack someone.
February 07, 2011 10:36AM
I agree.
I think it would be difficult to implement a non-subjective way of determining whether or not something is an attack. I'm not saying it can't be done; it would just be difficult.

Also, keep it mind that any time I or any other board member suggests something that would make the site more friendly for new SN players and members, we receive the arguments that "we don't understand where the SN came from" and "maybe if we knew about the history of the SN, we wouldn't be trying to change it so much." People don't seem to grasp that this (the forum) is the only source of information that we have for people. If the forum wasn't the main attraction, people could do whatever they wanted.

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2011 10:41AM by jtolbert.
February 07, 2011 12:45PM
I think someone posted a good idea about just posting tournament information on this site and other information about this series and getting rid of the forum altogether. TDs could email the info to a BoD member, who could post the tournament details or updates. They could leave an e-mail address for people to ask questions. That would end all the BS and crap that seems to occur not only after events, but even before they're held.

Someone could then create a separate discussion forum that is completely separate from the SN "info" site. That way, you could send potential sponsors to the site and not worry about them seeing the BS and nonsense of the discussion board. There are a lot of cool things the SN could do with an info site.

just a thought.

rWc3523
February 07, 2011 01:23PM
Russ,
That's a great idea for us to incorporate. Kevin and I have talked about that quite a bit. With a more content enriched site, the forum would just become the "watercooler" (as stated by Steve Timm, good wording!). With that setup, potential sponsors and such wouldn't look at the forums. They would know that it is for more off-beat conversation and no-holds-barred. However, unfortunately, the forum is our main attraction. A player can't get all of the info they need to participate in everything happening in SN land without visiting the forums and weeding through the garbage.

Some players feel that us moving toward a more content-oriented website detracts from the purpose of the SN. I don't see it that way, and I really feel the 2 issues are irrelevant. Having a more content-oriented website wouldn't even cause us to have membership fees. It would just allow the players to express themselves more on the site by submitting tournament info, pictures, videos, reviews, etc. We have some pretty good writers in SN land that would be able to show off their penmanship. Those of us that couldn't make it to an event would be able to see pictures/videos of all the action. THAT would be good for sponsors to see. At that point, the forum would just be in the background and people could talk all they want.

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
February 07, 2011 08:16PM
Russ, I suggested that very thing months ago. Maybe if others suggest it as well, it would gain traction.

Shane

Transparency of information breeds self correcting behavior!
February 07, 2011 08:50PM
That may have been where I saw it, Shane. It's a good idea. Like Justin said, there are a lot of possibilities for the content oriented site that would still be interesting and informative, such as recaps of events with photos, player profiles, board action, an online SN handbook, maybe maps to courses or a map of "SN Land" with pinpoints of all the courses.

Some friends of mine in another hobby got irritated over the "censorship" on the larger "mothership" site and built their own "no holds barred, anything goes" site that is private. You basically have to know the people to get in. You can post anything you want there because everyone pretty much knows each other and nobody gets offended.

That would be the best case scenario for the SN. The message board or forum would be a completely separate site, yet still could have some moderation. The "mothership" site in my other hobby has many sections and the mods will frequently move posts from one area to another that's more appropriate. It also has an "anything goes section" for possibly offensive material.

rWc3523
February 08, 2011 06:17AM
Russ3523 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> such
> as recaps of events with photos, player profiles,
> board action, an online SN handbook, maybe maps to
> courses or a map of "SN Land" with pinpoints of
> all the courses.

Wow! I like those ideas! The map of "SN Land" would really show our growth over a period of time. It'll also give us a visual idea of some future projects, such as course development.

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
February 08, 2011 11:34AM
I thought JIMO paid for this website? So why does the BOD do what they want with HIS website? Maybe the BOD needs there own website to run it the way they see fit. Jim maybe fine with the changes but "I" think he should be the one that decides how it should be policed.

There maybe some people who think the forum needed to be cleaned up and just as many who have no problem with the way it was. And now based on the aforementioned comments it sounds like you all want to change it even more. Last I heard there where bigger i$$ue$ that have yet to be resolved and waaaaaaaaay to much time being spent on the forum issue. How about the lack of players playing in the series this year? Or big sponsors........................ geez it is the internet for petes sake.

February 08, 2011 12:34PM
Bob... Jim himself was the one who promised in Memphis "We will take the forum back."

So I'm not sure how you don't think Jim would be behind the changes we have implemented thus far. I'm guessing you should pick up the phone and give him a ring before you start speaking on his behalf. I personally just spoke with him about 3 weeks ago in person.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 8
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013