Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

BoD Minutes 2/2/11

Posted by lesliez 
Re: BoD Minutes 2/2/11
February 08, 2011 12:55PM
Again Gilly, you read what you wanted as I said he maybe fine with the changes!

But was just curious if he still owned/paid for the website? And if so he may want to be the one that decides wether or not to make it an info only forum. Again I could give a rats but feel that the owner should be the one who makes the changes and not a sole decison of the BOD.

Maybe the BOD should use the 25 cents they hold back for expenses and buy/design a brand new website and do whatever they want. Then they would have say so on what and how they run it. Or you can go info only on the current site and take away the rights that are in place for every american.

February 08, 2011 01:07PM
Let's see, is the SN BoD responsible for less players in the series? I'd guess the economy has a lot to do with that. Not everyone has unlimited fund$ to go to every event. I know I don't and will probably play even less than last year. I also have other things I like doing right now and I'm only playing events that have proven Grandmaster participation.

And please, many, many forums limit what can/can't be posted. But I do agree that the offense that got Mikey bumped is bogus.

Just my opinion, like everyone else here.

rWc3523
February 08, 2011 01:31PM
My tournament participation is very limited due to financial issues.

Bob, you mentioned us working on sponsors, the idea for a revamped website would help with that. Many players have suggested improving the website and having content that sponsors can refer to.

Obviously, we can't just go out and change the website. In fact, several people have said if we want a website with more content, we should go to that "other disc golf series".

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
BHS Disc Golf [www.youtube.com]
Mobile, Alabama
February 08, 2011 01:48PM
jtolbert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My tournament participation is very limited due to
> financial issues.
>

I get that and I never stated the BOD had anything to due with the attendence but rather they could spend time on ways to help improve attendence. Rather then on the forum issue or lack of a real issue.

> Bob, you mentioned us working on sponsors, the
> idea for a revamped website would help with that.
> Many players have suggested improving the website
> and having content that sponsors can refer to.
>
I think a new website would be help with that. New banner space....There can be more than one SN website :)

> Obviously, we can't just go out and change the
> website. In fact, several people have said if we
> want a website with more content, we should go to
> that "other disc golf series".

no start another it would cost very little and can help with sponsors, and the bod ability to have complete control. Several should and has not been enough to stop something in the past. And you are the almighty BOD :))))

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2011 01:48PM by Tax Man.
February 08, 2011 02:24PM
Bob
I thought JIMO paid for this website? So why does the BOD do what they want with HIS website?

You are slipping on your wordsmith abilities.

Just because you toss a question mark on the end of a statement doesn't make it a question. "I thought I had a hundred bucks in my pocket" isn't a question... that's a statement. You can incorrectly shove a question mark at the end but that is just improper grammar, not a question.

Your second part was a question... and that question has been discussed several times already.

bob
Or you can go info only on the current site and take away the rights that are in place for every american.

And if that is the wish of the "owner" then what?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take me to the window and understand
I got a rocking chair in my skin.
And every time the wind blows
It brings me down to meet the mood I'm in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SN Top25 Bag Tag database
BRDGA Top10 Bag Tag database
MADGA Top10 Bag Tag database
SFC Top10 Bag Tag database
February 08, 2011 03:25PM
if it is his and that would be his right!

February 08, 2011 08:56PM
Tax Man Wrote:
> I get that and I never stated the BOD had anything
> to due with the attendence but rather they could
> spend time on ways to help improve attendence.
> Rather then on the forum issue or lack of a real
> issue.

I was actually making my comment in response to someone else's post about tournament attendance being a result of the economy.

> no start another it would cost very little and can
> help with sponsors, and the bod ability to have
> complete control. Several should and has not been
> enough to stop something in the past. And you are
> the almighty BOD :))))

It's not about having control. We've been taking ideas that the players have given us and put them into action. All of the things that we've put in place or have begun to put in place have come from suggestions from other players.
I'd rather us not have to worry about the forums at all. A revamped website would allow that. The forums would manage themselves. The initial problem with the new website idea is a few reactions and fears that people have of "what's next". Right now, it's just been an idea that has been circulated. I, personally, haven't made a big push for it due to the backlash that I've received from just suggesting it.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
February 08, 2011 11:25PM
I honestly would like to better understand what would be wrong with revamping the front end of this website and making it more dynamic and alive. Not a bunch of bells and whistles but a CMS (Content Management System) that users could submit articles and photos to be published. People could do right up of tournaments and videos... we have some of this stuff linked into the forum and everyone loves it when it's there but then it's gone because Bob and I decided to hash it out over nothing for too many thread/posts. ;)

Forums would kind of slide back to where they were before and the site would have a nice new look with lots of content for sponsors and new players to look at and learn what the SN is about, without HAVING to dwell into here and see us bickering about pot smoking or censoring silly words.

So, seriously.. what is the down side. I'm asking because I would honestly like to understand that perspective.

February 09, 2011 07:38AM
I'll give you some feedback that I've received, without naming names.
I suggested those things that you just mentioned, Kevin. Photos, Videos, Tournament Write-ups, Disc Preference Polls, etc. These would give our players something else to do within the SN other than just type on the forums and play tournaments. We would draw many more people to the SN and tournament play by actually SHOWING what we're offering at tournaments.
When presenting these ideas to a player/TD that has been a part of the SN "since the beginning", I didn't receive a positive reaction or consideration at all. I was told, "You should go to the PDGA then. You'd love it there." Keep in mind, I didn't suggest anything other than having content that is driven and supplied BY THE PLAYERS. I could understand the reaction if I was suggesting that we spent big bucks to hire people to do certain things. However, photos, videos, and articles can all be supplied by our players. There are many players out there that love being a part of that stuff. Heck, when I started putting the Baker tosses on YouTube, people showed up just to be on video!

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
February 09, 2011 08:40AM
Though I appreciate what has been said... there really isn't any point being made. WHAT exactly is the problem.

Agreed, if we were suggesting an entire PR campaign I could understand some questions. But just like you said, we are talking about grassroots grown articles and such.

I'd like to understand what specifically they think will happen if we move in this direction. I don't want memberships or anything. Just a modern site that we can be proud of and show off our tournaments with.

I also welcome people to PM me if they would rather remain anonymous. I personally haven't heard one person say anything negative about this idea, just the contrare.

February 09, 2011 08:52AM
I like the idea of a content only MAIN SN website and a SEPARATE forum at a completely different address. All the important info people need to know about the SN and tournaments (not the BS that now precedes them) would be there.The only thing missing would be the forum and it would STILL EXIST just somewhere else. I don't see that as a problem. And sorry, this site is boring as far as content goes, compared to other sites, IMHO.

Oh, just an FYI, here's the rules for using the St. Louis Disc Golf Club forum:

SLDCG forum rules

rWc3523
February 09, 2011 09:06AM
Russ3523 Wrote:
> I like the idea of a content only MAIN SN website
> and a SEPARATE forum at a completely different
> address. All the important info people need to
> know about the SN and tournaments (not the BS that
> now precedes them) would be there.The only thing
> missing would be the forum and it would STILL
> EXIST just somewhere else. I don't see that as a
> problem. And sorry, this site is boring as far as
> content goes, compared to other sites, IMHO.
>
> Oh, just an FYI, here's the rules for using the
> St. Louis Disc Golf Club forum:
>
> SLDCG forum rules
>
>
> rWc3523

5th offense (within one year of 4th offense), You are a bad bad person.
LOL....

Field limited to 90 players
[www.facebook.com]
February 09, 2011 09:18AM
Russ... I'm not disagreeing with you but I suspect that if we had a content rich site then the forums would be less of an issue for the general public.

When I go to websites I don't go to their forum unless I NEED something that I know is probably only in the forums. My web browser for example Opera... I go to Opera.com to check out what the latest features are.. maybe learn about some new feature or something I don't understand about it. THEN IF I can't find what I need there and I'm having a PROBLEM, I will go into their forum and look for the answer. And their forum has a LOT of helpful information. I just don't need to wade through the BS looking for the solution to my problem if it is on their site in a cleaner format.

I suspect that we could make this site very similar. People wanting to learn about DG and the SN would have much to read and learn from (about us) and would not have any need to dig into the main site unless they wanted to join in those discussions... usually knowing full well what they are getting into when you go into a forum. ;)

Either way, a new main site is key to catching up with the year 2000 in website content. ;)

February 09, 2011 09:30AM
So you're saying keep it on the main site, but since the information casual visitors are most likely looking for will be found on the main page, they probably won't hit the forum? I can see that. If you look at the St. Louis site, there is a link to their forum. I haven't checked out the content, but I'm guessing most clubs have it set up that way. Could be a more active main page with more content and controlled forum would be the way to go. Like I said, some buddies of mine simply split from a forum they felt was too restricted and built their own. Still going after two plus years.

rWc3523
February 09, 2011 09:46AM
Yeah basically. That site is scratching the surface of what I think our site could be.

Put all the weekly toss information on a section on the main site... basically lots of INFORMATION could be moved out of the FORUM and then the forum would just be that... a forum... I'd hope that we could also relax some of these forum rules at this point since we don't have a majority of our casual visitors hitting the forum for INFORMATION.

I know you and your family are very involved in just about every tournament you guys go to, including taking pictures. From there you can put together a quick little article with some pics and boom now people can read about what they missed.

Imagine what the article from 2009's SNAC's could look like (I wasn't at 2010 so I don't know much about it unfortunately... which I guess is my point). Btw, want to read about last year's or 2009's SNACs right now? Go for it... it somewhere buried in all of these post. You wrote a small little thing with a lot of cool pics... somewhere. On a CMS site you could easily dig back through the articles and find exactly what you want and it would be something that future tournaments could link to when doing their fund raisers. We certainly don't want to link back to our threads which I myself was saying "we had too much money" when talking to people that we are asking for money from. I know I am responsible for that conundrum... but guess what, that is what the forum is for. So we can candidly discuss these things. The article would serve to highlight how spectacular that sort of decadence is for our sport!

February 09, 2011 10:43AM
I did a little bit of looking in some sites and came up with another example. If I'm going to go play a course I've never been to, I always check it out at Disc Golf Course Review. I just checked the website and noticed that they have a forum. I've never had the desire to go to the forum, because they post all of their information as media on the front page that is searchable. Plus, ALL of the information comes from site users, not paid staff.
They still have a forum that is segregated into topics and subtopics, but it stays in the background. Site visitors can go through the content that is on the site, without having to view the content in the forums.

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
February 09, 2011 11:06AM
Excellent idea Justin.

Dangerous Don
February 09, 2011 12:26PM
I agree with Gilligan and Justin on this.

I do take photos at events when I can and Will frequently shoots video that ends up on YouTube. A lot of people are doing those things and could be uploaded to a site with those capabilities. You might want them to be approved first (or maybe it wouldn't be necessary) before they went live.

I figure Gilligan or someone could create an uploading platform to accomplish this. THAT would be the kind of site you would feel safe sending non-disc golf types to. And yeah, you could relax some of the restrictions for forum posting and simply remove offensive posts, whatever the standards prohibit. All this "free speech talk" is great, but most forums have restrictions on what can/can't be posted.

rWc3523
February 09, 2011 01:16PM
Right, having more content for visitors = less forum policing

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
February 09, 2011 02:01PM
russ
You might want them to be approved first (or maybe it wouldn't be necessary) before they went live.

That's the beauty of a CMS system... that is exactly how it would be set up. You submit your article and it goes to a list of "editors" for lack of better word. We would then look at it to make sure that it is on the up and up. Then we hit publish and it's live.

I could see an average of 1 article posted a week about tournaments. Not to mention all the other articles that could be done about new courses that were built and such.

With all the publicity that City Park in New Orleans got it would be great to have an article written about it's construction with links to the news paper articles. I imagine SNAC fund raising would be easily done for NO Team if they could easily point to OUR site to highlight how awesome New Orleans is for this. Not to mention being able to referrence PoG articles from the past and I'm sure a good one coming up in the near future.

February 12, 2011 07:41AM
I know this is something the BOD shouldn't have to address, but at the next BOD meeting will y'all implement some sort of verbiage against advocating physical violence on any forum on this website? Its really unfortunate that i'm even having to make this request, but its really getting out of hand. Thankyou for consideration.
February 12, 2011 09:23AM
Thanks Brad, I agree completely.
February 12, 2011 09:31AM
Brad Wells Wrote:
> I know this is something the BOD shouldn't have to
> address, but at the next BOD meeting will y'all
> implement some sort of verbiage against advocating
> physical violence on any forum on this website?
> Its really unfortunate that i'm even having to
> make this request, but its really getting out of
> hand. Thankyou for consideration.

Like this one:

2. Physical threats against other members (obvious or veiled)

Sadly I'm concerned the board is afraid to act because everyone will cry that we are being unfair and picking on an individual. :(

February 12, 2011 09:48AM
Picking on him.dude threatened me via p.m. He had me wanting to drive to memphis last nite.

BMB
February 12, 2011 10:04AM
Well, if the board can't handle it, the Millington Police can. We have enough evidence to file charges and get a restraining order preventing him from coming near disc golf courses. I am discussing this with some important people as we speak. The board should act, before the police do.
February 13, 2011 07:17AM
DZNUTZ Wrote:
> Well, if the board can't handle it, the Millington
> Police can. We have enough evidence to file
> charges and get a restraining order preventing him
> from coming near disc golf courses. I am
> discussing this with some important people as we
> speak. The board should act, before the police
> do.

lol, grow a pair! the street goes both ways and I recall a certain BOD member doing the same thing!

February 13, 2011 08:58AM
Gilligan Wrote:
> Brad Wells Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I know this is something the BOD shouldn't have
> to
> > address, but at the next BOD meeting will y'all
> > implement some sort of verbiage against
> advocating
> > physical violence on any forum on this website?
> > Its really unfortunate that i'm even having to
> > make this request, but its really getting out
> of
> > hand. Thankyou for consideration.
>
>
> Like this one:
> 2. Physical threats against other members (obvious
> or veiled)
>
> Sadly I'm concerned the board is afraid to act
> because everyone will cry that we are being unfair
> and picking on an individual. :(

Not me. Scottyd has clearly earned whatever punishment he gets.
February 13, 2011 11:23AM
Why is ScottyD's dumb able to still post on this forum? Hell, ban him from tournaments too.

**edited 2/16/11

Terry Zeringue

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2011 09:52PM by lesliez.
February 14, 2011 06:39AM
Wow cupcake that looks like 2 violations n 1 post ??? Or is it ok on this thread? TheZinger Wrote:
> Why is ScottyD's dumbass able to still post on
> this forum? Hell, ban him from tournaments too.

February 14, 2011 10:08AM
The word Hell, has been discussed to death Bob.

Still no retraction eh? Well, what about slander than? Should we allow slander?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013