Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Idea: Thread Control

Posted by jtolbert 
Idea: Thread Control
March 02, 2011 08:25AM
What do you guys think about this idea? I haven't completely fleshed it out. It hasn't been presented to the BoD. I would like some thoughts about it though.

The original PoG thread had to be abandoned for a new one to be started. When threads start for a tournament, a lot of new information can be posted beyond the first, initial post. A lot of us (myself included) have a habit of jacking threads and getting things off topic. Then, players who only visit the forums maybe once a week will have to go through all the off-topic posts to get to any additions to the main topic.

Here's my idea:
What if the THREAD STARTER had control (or OWNED, if you will) over the thread that they started (specifically tournament threads)? This wouldn't be an issue of a random admin or BoD member going through and removing things. It would put the direction of the thread in the hands of the TD/thread starter.
If this were to happen, Steve could have just PM'd Leslie or Kevin saying "Please remove any post by jtolbert to get my thread back on track." From there, the admin would just remove all of my posts. This would help the TD insure that his/her information is getting to the masses.

Thoughts? Constructive criticism please!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
BHS Disc Golf [www.youtube.com]
Mobile, Alabama
Re: Idea: Thread Control
March 02, 2011 08:38AM
I like it. Yay censorship! Oh wait! Yay thread control!

Jamie "Massive J" Massengale
March 02, 2011 08:39AM
We do that to a degree.

The concern comes when someone has a legitimate beef with something but that TD deems it as "an attack" and wants it removed. It has happened a LOT in the past. Any dissent or criticism and they cry foul.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take me to the window and understand
I got a rocking chair in my skin.
And every time the wind blows
It brings me down to meet the mood I'm in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SN Top25 Bag Tag database
BRDGA Top10 Bag Tag database
MADGA Top10 Bag Tag database
SFC Top10 Bag Tag database

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2011 08:40AM by Gilligan.
March 02, 2011 08:39AM
Keep in mind, this is specifically for tournament threads.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
March 02, 2011 08:40AM
Good point Gilly.

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
March 02, 2011 08:42AM
That is what I am referring to. Some times people should be informed about concerns from the past.

It just reminds me of how some manufactures will just kill any thread that complains about their product not performing the way they claim it will.

March 02, 2011 08:58AM
The TD/thread starter does not own the tread.
This is a service that we use, for free, to promote our events.

A good TD should welcome questions.
Thread jacking is part of the SN site, like wind at the PoG.
Better get ready for it, it will happen.

Thanks for the idea, keep them coming.

steve timm
March 02, 2011 09:16AM
Out of the mouth of a TD that had his official thread recently train wrecked.

Thanks for your understanding on this issue Steve... very good points.

March 02, 2011 09:51AM
I'm all about questions that come up. We all can't be perfect from the get go.
I'm mostly talking about a tournament thread being started, then you have 2 guys going back and forth bantering about things that have NOTHING to do with a tournament.
It does present some other variables though. I agree that you may have some TDs that would try to silence any "opposition".

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
March 02, 2011 12:14PM
We already do that to a degree when asked.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 24
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013