Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Something to think about

Posted by head 
Something to think about
March 02, 2011 10:56AM
This is my suggestion to the SN family.

Completely do away with ADV! This will not hurt any attendance since the ADV field is so small anyways.

In AM, do a great players pack so every player gets something and then pay out the top 3 players in small prizes or trophies only.

Then in Pro pay out 1/2 the field.

That way the players at the top of AM can move up and be able to have a shot at cashing and get better

Everytime I play a round with Pros I usually shoot much better
Re: Something to think about
March 02, 2011 12:10PM
i have been saying that for yrs; imagine this it would be like every other sport in the world
March 02, 2011 12:14PM
I am an AM and I believe that if you really want to grow the sport(bigger sponsors and more outside attention) you need to build the Pro division.
March 02, 2011 12:19PM

In AM, do a great players pack so every player gets something and then pay out the top 3 players in small prizes or trophies only.

This

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take me to the window and understand
I got a rocking chair in my skin.
And every time the wind blows
It brings me down to meet the mood I'm in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SN Top25 Bag Tag database
BRDGA Top10 Bag Tag database
MADGA Top10 Bag Tag database
SFC Top10 Bag Tag database
March 02, 2011 12:29PM
The span of scores from 1st place Int to last place Int is ridiculous. You could almost split Int into an A and B pool. Although, that is NOT my recommendation.

I like the player's pack idea. That would encourage more people to move up. If you want something other than 1 disc and a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place prize, you have to move up.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
BHS Disc Golf [www.youtube.com]
Mobile, Alabama
March 02, 2011 12:33PM
Louisiana usually does pretty good at keeping a tight field. We've had 1st-7th separated by like 4 strokes a few times. With only 10-12 over all players.

March 02, 2011 12:52PM
“The span of scores from 1st place Int to last place Int is ridiculous.”

Exactly why I don’t think we should eliminate advanced (AM Pool A), although eliminating it would be better than 42 Int and 2 Adv.

The answer is to figure out a way to split the Int division.

I thought the answer was to make entry and player packs the same for Int & Adv, but that is exactly what was tried at the Roosevelt Ice Bowl 3 and it did not work, even with unlimited mulligans. So I am clueless again.

If we make Int payout to only 3 people, either they will get a lot each and not be motivated to move up or a large part of their entry will be going elsewhere.
March 02, 2011 12:56PM
No, make large players pack and payout very little to the top 3 players in INT maybe even only trophies. Have the Entry fee low! And payout 1/2 of Pro field.
March 02, 2011 01:02PM
I agree with Matchew here. Little reward for winning in Ams.

March 02, 2011 01:06PM
Ok so at the RIB3 the Am entry was $25, $8 went to the park and charity leaving $17. $10 of that was player pack, leaving only 7 per player for payout. How would you change the numbers? How do you motivate upward move to adv?
March 02, 2011 01:10PM
I personally wouldn't care if you took a chunk and moved it to the pros... apparently that is blasphemy around here though.

More to charity? ;)

Better trophies for all divisions, using that money to help pay for them?

Anything but piles of discs for Matt (j/k)... but seriously anything but piles of discs for those guys that keep finishing top 5. (honestly no names involved as it changes from year to year... eventually)

March 02, 2011 01:10PM
Oh, and you could lower the entries too.

March 02, 2011 01:13PM
It's not unusual in Mobile to have 35+ in the INT division and ~12 in ADV. Payout is typically the same in ADV and INT, so people get comfortable at the top of the INT division. What's the point of moving up to ADV when you can just sit in INT and guarantee that you get your money back in every tournament?
I like the idea of only paying out the top 3 or 5 AMs. From there, you could keep the ADV division, but pay them out based on a percentage of the field. Moving up would increase your chances of getting prizes because of the percentage. Int would prize the top 5, but ADV would prize the top 7 in a field of 21.

Pro - 1/2
Adv - 1/3
Int - top 5

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
March 02, 2011 01:28PM
The only problem is some events are still sticking to the old 331/3 percent payout for open! How does this encourage people to pay MORE and move up?

I paid 40 percent in Open at our last event and some folks that normally don't cash, did!

Event he evil PDGA suggests deeper payouts in open.

rWc3523
March 02, 2011 01:34PM
More money would help. So kicking money around (even just a little) will help.

Don't want your money taken? Move up! ;)

March 02, 2011 01:35PM
Matthew you know you, Kieth, Gilligan, and I have been preaching this exact thing for a few years now and the response we get, not from AMS even, is "try that out in your neck of the woods first"....Russ C. Im behind you on this for sure man!

"HOGMAN"
HyZer Nation
March 02, 2011 01:38PM
Well, let's see if we can get some TDs on board and try it out. I suggest that they announce ahead of time what the payout in the divisions will be. That way people will know what they're getting into.

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
March 02, 2011 02:38PM
If the answer is to go from $25 to $20 entry, continuing the RIB3 example, then 42 players are playing for a total of $84. So you can pick an odd number fee and tweak that, but the idea is for Int to not be playing for much.

The other suggestion is to shift Int money elsewhere, so they are not playing for much.

Either way, it sounds like you are just making Int unattractive without necessarily making adv attractive.

I think most TD’s would rather have bagging or a 40 stroke spread division of 42 than low turnout.
March 02, 2011 03:25PM
I see people come to events and then never come back because of that points spread. Which is worse. Players that normally show up for the big payout not attending or keeping the new (to tournament play) players coming back and not being discouraged their first time playing.

If we would have all the players that show up and then never come back because X player is crushing everyone and why even try (this is what I have heard during lunch a few times). Then I bet we would have double those numbers.

If you are concerned about the payout and you are in the Am division, then you probably have your priorities a little skewed.

March 02, 2011 04:33PM
Crazy idea - no ams know what division they are in until they finish, then scores are used to split them into 2-5 even scoring groups, the lowest score of each group being the winner of that division. All pay the same and get same sweet player pack. Imagine trying to figure out whether you should make that putt to stay 7th in the top division or miss it to be 1st in the 2nd division. The player would not be able to predict, so all they could do is just play their best golf and let the chips fall. The only way to guarantee a win is to beat every other Am. Then if you do that too many times you have to go pro for 4.
March 02, 2011 04:54PM
It's been mentioned before... I would be down.

March 07, 2011 04:18PM
Need rating system. We dont need to rob from newcomers to pay pros. No way I would ever vote 2 do that.

Leo
March 07, 2011 05:00PM
A rating system would be AWESOME.....
March 07, 2011 05:09PM
I tried to do a rating system when I was on the BOD. Had every course ready to go in my computer. Still do!

Shot down :(
March 07, 2011 08:30PM
I'm one of those "why not try it in your neck of the woods" people.

Why is suggesting that people who have ideas on how to run events, try their idea out on a course near them?

What better way to see if the idea will work? And honestly, you might need to do it two or three times to really determine its effectiveness.

I'd never make a suggestion that I wouldn't try in my own event.

And Matthew, a rating system is too much like the evil PDGA and the SN would never go for that. ;-)

rWc3523
March 07, 2011 10:07PM
I know Russ haha too bad everyone thinks the PDGA is so bad
March 07, 2011 11:13PM
head Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know Russ haha too bad everyone thinks the PDGA
> is so bad

I got so much to say but won't I kinda think this SN ain't too much.differ than the PDGA!!!! And that sucks!!!!!!!

Field limited to 90 players
[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2011 11:14PM by Keith Bodin.
March 08, 2011 09:07AM
This isn't directed at anyone. I've been guilty of this too.
One of the biggest problems we have is people complaining about how things are, but they won't give the input or help to compromise and come up with a solution.
i.e. People complain non-stop about the forum guidelines, but we can't get input on a new proposal of them.

As far as the AM division goes, I, JC, and about 3 or 4 other guys will be running a little series in the future. We're going to use it to experiment with some things. We'll take a look at it and see how it works out.

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
March 08, 2011 09:36AM
Matthew are you going to be at the Memphis SN Cup tryouts on Saturday or the Roc Run on Sunday? I would love to talk with you about the ratings system. Is it on your computer....would you be able to bring a laptop, etc. to look at it, or send me an example so I can look and then pick your brain this weekend?

If not I understand, but I think the ratings system idea is fantastic, and it would defnitely help with .... BAGGING...I know you all love that word!!! :)
March 08, 2011 10:24AM
I'll be at the roc run for sure! I'll try and remember to bring it
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 23
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013