Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Website Advertising

Posted by jtolbert 
Website Advertising
June 29, 2011 02:56PM
So, I did a little research (didn't take much) to find out how much $$$ the sponsors actually pay to get a little bit of advertising on the PDGA website.
For a 120 x 60 pixel advertisement, they charge the sponsor $1500 a year. Yes, $1500, for a small little banner that most people don't even notice when visiting the site. That's just displayed on the HOME page.
If you want a banner on their event schedule page, it'll set you back $1000 a year. The banner/logo is the same size as the homepage.
If you want an advertisement on their forums, it'll cost you $700 a year.

That's a LOT of money coming in, considering that they have multiple of these ads running at one time. Just taking the homepage advertisements, they run 8 of these ads everytime you visit the website. When you refresh your page, other sponsors pop up, even though some are similar. Just looking at the HOME PAGE advertising, they are pulling in at least $12,000 a year.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
BHS Disc Golf [www.youtube.com]
Mobile, Alabama
Re: Website Advertising
June 29, 2011 04:24PM
Justin

I am sitting here reading multiple boards while I wait for the pDGA site to load.

They went after the money and it has nearly killed the performance of the site.

be cautious.

steve timm
June 29, 2011 06:02PM
I always pay attention to these irritating pop-up ads...and make sure to NOT buy from those companies!
June 29, 2011 09:13PM
VERY different.

You can't run with the big dogs on a little puny server... hence yet another reason to move away from where we are.

Unless you are on dial up... then sorry but this internet is not for you. ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take me to the window and understand
I got a rocking chair in my skin.
And every time the wind blows
It brings me down to meet the mood I'm in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SN Top25 Bag Tag database
BRDGA Top10 Bag Tag database
MADGA Top10 Bag Tag database
SFC Top10 Bag Tag database
June 29, 2011 10:31PM
How many hits does the SN website get on average? You're lucky to get $1 for every thousand hits. It's usually more like $0.50 per thousand. $1,500 from a single 468x60 banner at the top of the page would require about three million hits. You'd get a little more for skyscraper ads and pop-ups/pop-unders, but they are also a lot more annoying. As long as you are getting a decent amount of hits though, a few ads (at least one at the top of each page) definitely wouldn't hurt.

Overdrive Disc Golf
We buy and sell new and used discs. Check out our website.
June 30, 2011 01:04AM
No, you would sell the space directly... not just using google ads or some other third party junk.

We are talking, about straight from Discraft, Gateway, GottaGoGottaThrow, or Disc Nation... that sort of thing.

June 30, 2011 09:21AM
True, and I'm sure they would pay a little more considering the site is directly associated with their businesses, but I would think they still pay based on number of hits, visits, clicks, or something of that nature. And the rate is a lot lower than it used to be since only a small fraction of people pay attention to the ads, much less click on them. Knowing how much traffic SN gets compared to PDGA would help determine how much this site could charge per ad.

Overdrive Disc Golf
June 30, 2011 09:46AM
Right.

It was just food for thought. If, and when, we redo the website and have complete control over the moderation of it, advertising would generate a lot of sponsorship money for us.
Personally, I feel $1500 a year is ridiculous. But, evidently, people are willing to pay it. With a new website, we would be able to have a report on the individual unique hits we receive per day, per week, per month, etc. With that, we could then come up with a reasonable price.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
June 30, 2011 10:00AM
What's the deal with the website anyways? I asked in a different thread, but nobody answered me. How do you not have complete control of it?

Overdrive Disc Golf
June 30, 2011 10:44AM
The webspace and all is being donated. The gentleman in charge of adding/editing/removing is sometimes hard to get a hold of...

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
June 30, 2011 11:01AM
A basic hosting package only costs about $5 a month. Why not just buy a package, get all of the code, images, etc from the guy and be done with it?

Overdrive Disc Golf
June 30, 2011 11:30AM
We want to be able to do content management as well with some media. Would a $5 package offer enough space?

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
June 30, 2011 11:41AM
I'm not sure. I have two websites running on one basic package with GoDaddy, but they are VERY small sites. $5 gets you 10GB of space. $8 jumps you up to 150GB, and $15 gets you unlimited space. I'd say start with the $8 package and then you can figure out how much space you are actually using.

Overdrive Disc Golf
Anonymous User
June 30, 2011 11:44AM
I think the main advertising logo should go on our forum, the most active page there is, currently it boast JimO's Ebay items.
June 30, 2011 11:51AM
Or on the 'Tournament Results' page. People check there every day for a month hoping that their tournament has finally been posted. Just kidding. The forum would definitely be the best place for one.

Overdrive Disc Golf
June 30, 2011 12:27PM
Yep. Forums, Results page, and even the Schedule page.

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
June 30, 2011 07:20PM
Contrast
And the rate is a lot lower than it used to be since only a small fraction of people pay attention to the ads, much less click on them.

Though that is extremely true for lots of us... youtube makes MILLIONS from ad clicks... and they pay guys like Fred and Mike Buckley 6 figures for their content (all ad driven money).

I absolutely understand that there is more traffic on that site... but that IS how most sites make money. Companies like Discraft would be better served by money spent here vs youtube. So we could actually make more money from Discraft than youtube would. Just a guess.

July 01, 2011 12:00AM
fail......keep hoping..as People will tell the companies how crappy you guys(BOD) really are..that will take care of sponsors....YOU WANT SPONSORS>....treat people like they are poeple...stop trying to off those who question you....this is to ADOLF HITLER..and his cronies.....

Hukd on fonikz werkd fur mi!
July 01, 2011 05:10AM
LOL... have we tossed you out? Yet you question and berate us every chance you get Wayne.

We haven't ONCE asked you to stop or suggested or even THOUGHT about taking away your posting rights because of this. BUT if you make physical threats to people or other violations (language or inappropriate pic postings) then YOU will lose those privileges. But YOU are the one that is in complete control over that. You can question us and claim that we are ruining the sport.. chasing off sponsors, killing tournament attendance and all the other preposterous things that you want (even things that Kernan won't even agree with you on!) and we will NEVER take away your posting rights.

How in the WORLD can you see that as "silencing" those who "question us"? Hell, we've had people that were banned's family come on here and "question" us every step of the way and we have never taken a SINGLE step towards silencing them.

July 08, 2011 02:06PM
not one threat was issued.....if someone believes that..they are clueless..... the BOD is still full of idiots.....who are motivated by their own personal(NOT DISC GOLF) beliefs. Get off the better than thou kick(BOD).

July 08, 2011 02:14PM
Wayne... we have spoken on the phone and I'm pretty sure you KNOW better than that about me at least. With that being said... looked like a plain and simple threat to me.

July 08, 2011 02:17PM
yes..we have spoken.....nothing personal. The current situation is laughable at best. Dillon is still the leading contender for biggest screw up for the entire BOD history.

July 08, 2011 02:39PM
Exactly, nothing personal.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 41
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013