Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
My feeling on the BOD duties....
August 03, 2011 03:04PM
These are my feelings in regards to what the SN BOD duties are. They are in no particular order (but I do think that making sure the SN Chamionships are quality events is #1). I'm running for the BOD again this year and hope to help the SN series move forward. I've been a part of this series since it started a long time ago......in several capacities, as a player, td, former SN board member, treasurer, scheduler and moderator. I'm pretty fond of this series and of the quality people I've met as a result of being a disc golfer.

I don't think the SN series is broke by any definition but with anything there is always room for improvement. I think the series is about the players, #1 and then about the tds. The tds are the backbone of the series (and the sn should be doing what it can to make life easier not harder) the players are the vital organs and the SN BOD would ideally be the brains as opposed to the appendix.

SN Board duties:
1. Insure the SN Championsips are quality events. Duties in that regard should be:
a. Provide updated and detailed guidelines for tournament hosts in terms of what is expected for each championship.
b. Provide a list of vendors and contacts for prizes, tshirts, baskets, etc. (tournament hosts shouldn't have to continue to reinvent the wheel for each championship)
c. Maybe have a selected board member be a liaison to the host club or td to help clarify or provide guidance if there are questions. Also sign off on such items as fair market value for prizes.
d. Have at least 1 board member at each SN Championship and that person should have to approve the payout. That helps protect the host club and puts the burden on the SN Board.
e. Insure the SN treasure provides the SN fees to the tournament host in a timely manner and a breakdown of where the sn fees are going is provided.

2. For the SNAC / SNPC:
a. Determine the invitation list for each championship.
b. Determine, provide and present end of the year awards and points disc at each applicable championship.
c. Organize and provide ballots to the players for BOD elections

3. Provide clarification in regards to any question regarding SN rules or policies.

4. Promote and manage the SN bag tags. Duties should include:
a. Determining design and purchasing the bag tags.
b. Ensuring the bag tags are available at the SNAC and SNPC.
c. Insure there is an adequate distribution and accountability plan that is transparent.
e. Find ways to promote bag tags / provide incentive for players to buy them.

5. Manage / moderate the SN site. Provide guidelines and make themselves available to the players. Online balloting.

6. Determine hosts for future SN Championships.

7. Preserve the history of the SN series in some form.

6. Do all they can to help improve the SN Series. Possible subjects include:
a. Upgrade to the current site / new site??
b. Options for providing insurance for tournaments.
c. Options for providing online tournament registration.
d. Ways to help gererate funds for the championships.

Again this is not all inclusive, I'm sure I missed somethings. Any other thoughts and suggestions are welcomed...

JOhn k
Re: My feeling on the BOD duties....
August 03, 2011 06:11PM
It may not be all inclusive but it's a solid foundation. Well done John.
August 03, 2011 08:12PM
Thanks John.
A lot of what you listed in regards to helping out the TDs did get taken care of this year. It was handled mostly through mass reply-all PMs. However, it's not an open thing. I would like to see it a common, broadcasted standard that is set.

Numbers 1 through 6 are currently being handled, but probably not as efficiently as possible. Numbers 7 and 8 are definitely things we should incorporate.

Did you see the online ballot for the BoD election that was created? It was a really simple process, and I believe it would be a good way to poll the players on some issues versus just asking for input in a forum thread. I know a lot of players have become hesitant to post their thoughts openly on the forum due to the constant flaming that occurs over simple opinions.

I look forward to being able to work with you.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
BHS Disc Golf [www.youtube.com]
Mobile, Alabama
August 03, 2011 08:38PM
Man I really want to respond to Justin, but I think the new "Sunshine" will just say it's hot as, you know where, here in S. Louisiana.......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2011 08:41PM by La Cote DGC.
August 03, 2011 09:26PM
John, you are one of the best, if not THE best individual the SN has ever seen. Thanks for all you do

Terry Zeringue
August 04, 2011 07:29AM
good stuff john; class act indeed. looking forward to working with you; and the voting is easy so come on all lets get our votes in.
August 04, 2011 09:35AM
Great post John...and It was great playing dubs with you Friday afternoon!

Hukd on fonikz werkd fur mi!
August 25, 2011 07:32AM
Reallty like your #1 goal john.whomever the t.d. Was at city park that said in the am champuonship that said hey this isnt a pdga event,you can do whatever you want is the type of crap that shines a bad light on the leaDership and integrity of this series,much less the doubles championship payout not meeting guideline requirements....rest assured huntsville will run a 1st class event with every rule and guideline followed ,well because thats just how they do things.hopefully no one will be made an example of,but as a lot of us know,they run things and present themselves and the sport the way it should be in huntsville and they dont tolerate stupidity
August 25, 2011 11:07AM
Scottyd you weren't there at City Park, so you DON'T KNOW what your talking about. In the future, maybe it would be wise to comment about things that you know and not about things that your ASSuming. The TD in question is without a doubt 1 of the good guys in this GAME we play.
August 25, 2011 11:16AM
Rouster,just going by remarks made by the am td himself mr.don made in another thread so maybe i do know what im talkin about..but its all good bro,there are good guys all around this sport qand thats great but if he made a remark that this isnt a pdga event and alcohol is. Allowed in citypark anyways then i just think thats wrong bro..it may not be a pdga event but that doesnt mean we as a series do not follow the rules of the game and just so happens them rules were created by the pdga..
August 25, 2011 12:09PM
Well it's really getting old hat around the SN that people continually bash the various TD's who are out there busting their butts. Most of these guys are doing it for no other reason than the love of the game. I think we can all agree it sure as heck ain't for the $$$$$$.

I know this particular TD and would go to bat for him any day.

I think the part I take exception with is the "do whatever you want" that's not the way it went down or said. No hard feelings here man. I just know that if players continually bash TD's sooner or later there will be much less SN tournaments than we have now. JMO.
August 25, 2011 12:38PM
Here's the deal...

The PDGA doesn't own disc golf, nor does it own the Southern Nationals.

The Southern Nationals Series doesn't own disc golf either, nor does it own the individual organizations that run tournaments.

Sanctioning events isn't a foregone conclusion and stepping in and micro-managing TDs and clubs is a sure fire way to get them to stop sanctioning. If we want to let players drink a beer during a round, they will be allowed to do so and I guarantee complaints or criticisms about it will fall on deaf ears.
September 12, 2011 08:36PM
I don't think that micromanagement is the goal. Rather the goal is to provide protection to the TDs from complaints as the responsibility for the final call on some of the issues resides with the bod.

Shane

Transparency of information breeds self correcting behavior!
September 13, 2011 06:42AM
Shane,
I agree with you. One of the problems that I see is that there isn't a streamlined way for the TD to contact the BoD. This could be as simple as every TD having a list of the BoD's phone #'s. However, then we're dealing with public v. private issues.
At the SNPC, the TD needed a decision from the BoD. Only two were present, but no phone calls were made to the other 4 to help work out the situation.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
BHS Disc Golf [www.youtube.com]
Mobile, Alabama
September 13, 2011 09:17AM
Exactly... I wasn't checking the forums very much (almost NIL) in the past couple of weeks. I did manage to read that section as I figured it was
"important" issues. That is the only reason I knew there was anything going on with the SNPC situation. I've just been out of the loop and busy with work. I was at a convention during the event so I was WAY out of pocket.

This was a good way to clearly discuss what was going on AS it was going on without the public jumping to conclusions based off half of the information.

As Justin stated in the other thread, it took us so long to get a decision because we wanted ALL the FACTS and not just "well, he said that she said that..." That wasn't going to cut it for me and it doesn't look like that was satisfactory for others as well. I wish we could have had a response sooner but I'm glad we all waited for the facts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take me to the window and understand
I got a rocking chair in my skin.
And every time the wind blows
It brings me down to meet the mood I'm in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SN Top25 Bag Tag database
BRDGA Top10 Bag Tag database
MADGA Top10 Bag Tag database
SFC Top10 Bag Tag database
September 13, 2011 11:23PM
Scottyd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Reallty like your #1 goal john.whomever the t.d.
> Was at city park that said in the am champuonship
> that said hey this isnt a pdga event,you can do
> whatever you want is the type of crap that shines
> a bad light on the leaDership and integrity of
> this series,much less the doubles championship
> payout not meeting guideline requirements....rest
> assured huntsville will run a 1st class event with
> every rule and guideline followed ,well because
> thats just how they do things.hopefully no one
> will be made an example of,but as a lot of us
> know,they run things and present themselves and
> the sport the way it should be in huntsville and
> they dont tolerate stupidity

LOL......How'd that work out? Granted I've been to some top notch RCCG tourneys over the years but it looks like the SNPC was kind of an afterthought to them, this year. Kind of a blip on the radar so to speak. I wasn't there so I'm not going to jump on that bandwagon. I think we've got an extremely solid board now that can get some things straightened out. Time to learn and move forward. Lots of folks spreading doom and gloom around here but I like the premise of the SN. Right now, our options are to fix things or just go to PDGA sanctioning and essentially get not much in return for "sanctioning". I'd rather at least have a chance to play for my SN fee's back at the SNPC. Good luck guys!!!! and Leslie :-)

Mike-b
jcb
September 14, 2011 08:58AM
I just find it sad that the RCCG is the ones getting the bashing about the SNPC when they were not even the club running it. They were only using the courses in Huntsville. Get a clue people.
Anonymous User
September 14, 2011 09:05AM
Somebody call Karen, quick!
September 14, 2011 12:54PM
jcb Wrote:
> I just find it sad that the RCCG is the ones
> getting the bashing about the SNPC when they were
> not even the club running it. They were only using
> the courses in Huntsville. Get a clue people.

Sorry about that. It's just whenever I hear, Huntsville and disc golf tournament, I assume RCCG. Apology issued to the RCCG.

Mike-b
November 01, 2011 05:33PM
> Sorry about that. It's just whenever I hear,
> Huntsville and disc golf tournament, I assume
> RCCG. Apology issued to the RCCG.
>
> Mike-b

No problem! The RCCG understands. :) Hope everybody has a great ROLL TIDE weekend!

Karen

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2011 05:46PM by Karen J..
November 01, 2011 07:58PM
Karen J. Wrote:
> > Sorry about that. It's just whenever I hear,
> > Huntsville and disc golf tournament, I assume
> > RCCG. Apology issued to the RCCG.
> >
> > Mike-b
>
> No problem! The RCCG understands. :) Hope
> everybody has a great ROLL TIDE weekend!
>
> Karen

* RCCG had nothing to do with this event........

1k and counting.....

Field limited to 90 players
[www.facebook.com]
November 01, 2011 08:06PM
TheZinger Wrote:
> John, you are one of the best, if not THE best
> individual the SN has ever seen. Thanks for all
> you do

I completely agree! John K. is a class-act, and SN can't thank him enough for everything he does. I don't know where the SN Organization would be without him. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2011 08:08PM by Karen J..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013