Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Something I would like the BoD to talk about.

Posted by La Cote DGC 
Something I would like the BoD to talk about.
August 09, 2011 09:19AM
I know I am sticking a big stick into a hornets nest with this, but here I go anyway.

I understand charity events. Hell I hosted 2 at my course last year. Both of the events were SN events, but neither did I sell mulligans. I understand mulligans are a great way to raise extra cash for the charity.

I do not think it is fair for a tournament to sell mulligans and then award points based on the scores. You are letting players have the opportunity to "buy" points in their division race. IMO

Please don't nail me to the wall for this, it is just MHO.

Feed back welcome!

August 09, 2011 09:23AM
La Cote DGC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>>
> I do not think it is fair for a tournament to sell
> mulligans and then award points based on the
> scores. You are letting players have the
> opportunity to "buy" points in their division
> race. IMO
>

I COMPLETELY agree !!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teresa Key
KEY CHAINS DISC GOLF
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Re: Something I would like the BoD to talk about.
August 09, 2011 09:27AM
I look at it this way.

If the price of those points feed a starving person, cloth a naked person, help pay for a cure for a child, or equivalent... then that is a VERY small price the SN pays for such a deed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take me to the window and understand
I got a rocking chair in my skin.
And every time the wind blows
It brings me down to meet the mood I'm in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SN Top25 Bag Tag database
BRDGA Top10 Bag Tag database
MADGA Top10 Bag Tag database
SFC Top10 Bag Tag database
August 09, 2011 09:28AM
I also agree 100%. The points system should be altered under those conditions. Take the raw score, without mulligans, to award the points.
Sounds good?

Hukd on fonikz werkd fur mi!
August 09, 2011 09:30AM
wayneacree Wrote:
> The points system should be
> altered under those conditions. Take the raw
> score, without mulligans, to award the points.

YES :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teresa Key
KEY CHAINS DISC GOLF
Fort Walton Beach, FL
August 09, 2011 09:53AM
How would you take a raw score? Make the person shoot from his original throw and from his bought throw? That doesn't make much sense.

I am mixed about mulligans. Everytime I used one last year, i threw even worse on the bought shot. And in the first round I played with a few Am men and there were a couple of them who would empty their entire bag on the mulligan holes. It really slowed things down in the 100 degree heat. But it's also for charity. Let's do this...ask the winners how many mulligans they bought and how it effected their final score.
August 09, 2011 09:57AM
How about giving everyone in the tournament the same amount of points no matter where they finish?

August 09, 2011 10:19AM
I agree with Gilligan on this issue.

The SN points system is rather inaccurate to begin with, and there is little more than bragging rights awarded for the players who end up with the most points. And, not once has there ever been an issue where someone couldn't get into an SN championship because they had less points than anyone else.
August 09, 2011 10:21AM
yes Keith..sounds great
Bolt..it is possible...but I fear that some people who have problems keeping their score now,
will surely use that method to cheat..ahem..I mean miscalculate their number of throws. It never ceases to amaze me how many people in disc golf can not count past four.

August 09, 2011 10:26AM

Take me to the window and understand
I got a rocking chair in my skin.
And every time the wind blows
It brings me down to meet the mood I'm in.

SN Top25 Bag Tag database
BRDGA Top10 Bag Tag database
MADGA Top10 Bag Tag database
SFC Top10 Bag Tag database
August 09, 2011 11:13AM
There are plenty of ways to raise money for charity. It makes no sense to use one that can alter the outcome of the tournament.

Another way of looking at it is why not have mulligans at every SN tournament. The money raised can be used to increase the pot. How many players would be okay with that?

Overdrive Disc Golf
We buy and sell new and used discs. Check out our website.
August 09, 2011 12:25PM
a charity event is exactly that ; raise as much money as you can; anyway you can. gilley i will have to say your last response was funny!!!
August 09, 2011 12:51PM
Then just say whoever donates the most money wins first place.

Overdrive Disc Golf
We buy and sell new and used discs. Check out our website.
August 09, 2011 01:00PM
I don't think it's too much of an issue big picture-wise. Could someone get more division points through the use of mulligans. Yes. Are there a large number of tournaments that use mulligans in some form or another. No, I'm not sure of the actual number of sn tournaments that used mulligans, my guess would probably be around 5 maybe. Do those few tournaments have a significant affect on the end of the season results in regards to divisional points. I don't think so.

Unless you start awarding considerably more to divisional points winners I think mulligans and the additional sn points earned through them are pretty harmless. You could change those tournaments and only give 2 points per player but to me that might affect player participation and I wouldn't want to negatively impact a charity tournament in any way.

I don't think taking away mulligans would give an accurate normal score either as bolt pointed out not all mulligans used resulted in a better score.

In my opinion I don't think a change is needed.

JOhn k
August 09, 2011 01:03PM
I think ice bowls are good with the mulligans b/c it gives the people that arn't as good a chance to compete with better players once a year. ice bowls arn't serious tournaments, they are just about having fun. i have always wondered why they were even sanctioned because i know that pdga doesn't sanction them. (the ice bowls with mulligans). I think there should be a limit on mulligans though.
August 09, 2011 01:23PM
I'm not a big fan of mulligans as I don't have much money to buy mulligans. I think however, as long as payout isn't top heavy, then mulligans should continue as they are.

Terry Zeringue
Anonymous User
August 09, 2011 04:15PM
I like the raw score idea... it's comical.

Hey, that's not a mulligan, it's provisional ? LOL
August 10, 2011 10:47AM
more stupidity from a BOD member that NOBODY wanted^^^^^^

August 10, 2011 05:16PM
Gilligan Wrote:
> I look at it this way.
>
> If the price of those points feed a starving
> person, cloth a naked person, help pay for a cure
> for a child, or equivalent... then that is a VERY
> small price the SN pays for such a deed.

WOW,first time i ever agreed with ya.BTW I'm buying as many mulligans as i need at the camp smile turny saturday.If your low on funds your score's gona be high. too bad so sad!

BMB
August 10, 2011 05:30PM
I don't think there would be enough points up for grabs to make that big of a difference.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
BHS Disc Golf [www.youtube.com]
Mobile, Alabama
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 28
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013