Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Time Line

Posted by shane 
Time Line
September 28, 2011 10:21PM
I would like to see a timeline created for the championship oversight that will be conducted by the board. I would like to see an accounting on the activity that follows the timeline. All items will be posted by BOD in a special section of the forum that only allows viewing by the forum readers. Posting in the forum can only be done via the Board liaison to the tournament td. In additions all host TDs should be required to pay SN fees to the bod for transparency purposes. Holding on to the fees could result in a claim of obfuscation.

Here is a list of things that I would like to see for the SNAC as an example. Obviously this list is very similar in nature for each of the Championships.

SNAC

October 2011

Any tournaments that are more than two months late in sending in fees are notified.

Tournament Director and SN Bod agree on minimum payout scale. The TD can go beyond the payout, but everyone will at least know the minimum that will be met as far as places that are paid out. This will be done via a spreadsheet that shows player payout with up to 100 in a division. This is not the dollar amounts that will be paid out, just the total number of places. This protects the TD as the payout is approved by the bod and there is plenty of time for any kinks to be worked out.

December 2011

Any tournaments that are more than two months late in sending in fees are notified. Any tournaments that are still delinquent will be posted in the February update.

A complete accounting of all fees that are in at the halfway point. Discussions of extra events as well as board members that will be onsite to assist with the tournament. There should be a contingency plan in case a board member can't attend. If the host TD wants to purchase discs to help sale for raising money, the bod should purchase those discs for the TD and pay for discs out of the funds. Any money raised by the TD should be sent back to the bod for transparency of accounting. Discs should be sent to the hosts in lots of fifty as needed unless they are hosting a tournament which would necessitate them having more on hand. The other discs could be shared with willing TDs/clubs that want to help out with the championship tournament.

February 2011

Guidelines are reviewed with the host TD and the board. Negotiations with disc/basket companies continue/start as appropriate. If additional discs are needed, they are purchased. An accounting of the sales along with money raised for the first batch of discs are purchased. The minimum FMV for baskets in the major divisions will be decided upon. The TD has the right to upgrade as they see fit, but again will have the benefit of the bod discussing and approving a minimum level of basket. These results will be posted in the Championship portion of the forum with the permissions as per above.

Any tournaments that are more than two months late in sending in fees are notified. Any SNQ tournaments that are more than four months late are posted on the forum.

April 2011

Any tournaments that are more than two months late in sending in fees are notified. Any SNQ tournaments that are more than four months late are posted on the forum.

Etc. Etc.

June 2011

Etc. Etc.

These are just some ideas that I think would provide some transparency and help to restore confidence throughout the year that everything is being done possible to have the best championships with the least amount of problems for the players. Just my $.02, but I think it the SN really needs something concrete published to help the TDs and Players pay fees in good faith that the monies will not be abused this year.

Shane

Transparency of information breeds self correcting behavior!
Re: Time Line
September 29, 2011 06:34AM
Thanks, Shane! I think it's a good idea.

My only hesitation would be the posting of the late SNQs. We've discussed this before about whether or not to air out that information to help get the money in sooner. Several previous BoD members were against it due to the shortage of TDs that we have. We were afraid that it would cause too much turmoil.

I do think it's something worth revisiting though.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
BHS Disc Golf [www.youtube.com]
Mobile, Alabama
September 29, 2011 08:30AM
You do notice that I did not advocate posting them until they were four months late correct? If you do decide to post them just put that language into the application that the TDs fill out.
Shane

September 29, 2011 10:55AM
Yeah, I saw that. Personally, I think posting them would help "encourage" them to pay a little faster. It should never take 4 months anyways.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
October 02, 2011 08:51AM
Well at least develop and publish a timeline for the rest of the items such as purchasing and post it ASAP. I am seeing some clubs wavering in their support of the SN already.

Shane

October 05, 2011 07:07PM
i also think this is a good idea. I really dont understand why there is any delay on sending the money. You have already collected it? Why would it take 2 months to send it in?

thanks shane.
October 05, 2011 09:55PM
Thanks for posting the minutes so promptly. I just read them and saw that you were discussing some of the topics from Gary and myself. The deadline of entry fees was not the largest of the items in my list, but an important one still the same. I really hope that the other ideas are discussed as well.

Shane

P.S. I think that the ideas posted in the thread above protect both the players and the TDs. We also need to think of ways to incentivize TDs to run tournaments as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2011 09:57PM by shane.
October 06, 2011 10:51AM
I'm still a little stuck on the BoD purchasing the discs FOR the TD. Is this because the TD doesn't have the full money yet from sanctioning fees?

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
October 06, 2011 10:11PM
That is one reason, here are a couple more...

2. Transparency is greater because money comes into the treasurer and the treasurer is the one writing to the checks to the disc manufacturers.

3. It also gives some continuity to the purchasing process as the wheel is not being reinvented each year by new TDs.

4. There will be more consistency each year in FMV because the same party is making the call.

Shane

October 06, 2011 10:36PM
Thanks Shane for the input as always......i'm big on transparency as well.

JOhn k
October 07, 2011 09:46AM
Thanks for the clarification.

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
October 09, 2011 06:47PM
Is the SN tournament series organized as a 501C(3)?

If so, getting the SN to buy discs/baskets for the host club saves 8-10% on tax for the items purchased, adding value to the event.

If not, getting the SN to buy discs/baskets for a host club that is a 501C(3) costs the event 8-10% that could have been saved.
October 09, 2011 07:53PM
The SN isn't organized as a 501C(3)....however is there is an SN club that has done all the paperwork to become a 501C(3) club please post or pm me any information on how that ws accomplished. I know it's pretty involved paperwork-wise. I'm curious what it does take to get that status and what needs to be done afterwords in regrads to paperwork to keep it.

Any help would be appreciated to see if it something we should do....

JOhn k
October 10, 2011 12:50PM
Jacques, there are no taxes because the sales are not in the state and further more, the sn wouldn't be the end user so no sales tax there either.

Now technically the winners are supposed to claim it on their taxes at some point.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take me to the window and understand
I got a rocking chair in my skin.
And every time the wind blows
It brings me down to meet the mood I'm in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SN Top25 Bag Tag database
BRDGA Top10 Bag Tag database
MADGA Top10 Bag Tag database
SFC Top10 Bag Tag database
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 28
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013