Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Board Minutes - 11/2/11

Posted by jtolbert 
Board Minutes - 11/2/11
November 02, 2011 09:29PM
Members: John Kittrell, Jamie Massengale, Eric Day, Justin Tolbert

Topics:
2012 SN T-shirt
-Board discussed more design options for the SN t-shirt. Decided to go with an SN logo on the front with 2012. The back would list the location of the championships and sponsors
-Sponsorships on the back will be sold for $100.
-Board will be seeking price quotes on drifit t-shirts

Handbook Revisions - BoD Vacancy
-Discussed the method of filling a BoD vacancy before a member's time actually expires
-Board agreed that having another election to fill a BoD vacancy as opposed to filling it with the candidate with the next fewest votes from previous election would be acceptable.
-If the seat would be vacant for less than 6 months until the next election, the Board may opt to wait until the next scheduled election to fill the seat.

-A draft of the revised handbook should be available soon. The Board will then need to spend some time reviewing it to vote to approve it.

Meeting Adjourned at 9:30

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
BHS Disc Golf [www.youtube.com]
Mobile, Alabama
Re: Board Minutes - 11/2/11
November 02, 2011 09:38PM
way to go guys! Love the update to the procedure for filling a vacant bod seat...well over due!
November 02, 2011 09:46PM
My first thought, why bother selling sponsorships on the shirts? If people are buying them, why can't the SN pay for them. Also, i feel it cheapens the shirt.
November 03, 2011 07:58AM
I agree with Rinkelstein. I think if anything goes on the shirt as far as logos it should be the club logos that participate in the SN series. Maybe incorporate them into the design. Just my two cents...or whatever they are worth.

Wade Bouchard
HDGA
November 03, 2011 10:43AM
This is where it gets tough on the designer. Everybody has a different idea about what should be added in addition to the SN logo. We aren't going to please everyone. I think the SN logo itself is a safe bet for our first go at these shirts.
We also figured it would be nice to separate this shirt from most tournament shirts by going with a drifit T and creating a new SN logo for the 2012 season.
The sponsors on the back would go to funding the shirts being made. Since they are drifit, they can be pretty expensive. All input is appreciated. Thanks guys!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
November 03, 2011 11:05AM
Getting sponsors for the shirt is one way to ensure that the shirts do make money. The goal is to raise enough sponsorship to pay for the shirts themselves, then any proceeds made from the sale of the shirts is profit and can go towards the sn championships. We want to ensure that the shirts MAKE money not cost money. Just trying to use the money in the SN account efficiently and I wouldn't want SN money tied up in shirts that we weren't able to sell.

I do like the idea of an SN shirt with the clubs represented and we may use that idea in the future. With this being a first effort the bod wants to ensure it's a success.

Thanks for the input though, any and all thoughs or comments are appreciated...

JOhn k
November 03, 2011 12:36PM
You guys are still going to be doing it wrong. Do 100 cotton shirts, and if you still eant to to dry fits, use the profits to fund the dry-fits. Selling ads is a bad idea. You'll sell more cotton at %75 margin than you ever will dry fit at %50. Paying someone for art is rediculous as well. Run a competition of the web and the best design goes on the shirt.

How do you sell a local ad on a shirt that will be distributed all over the south?

Do this right the first time.
November 03, 2011 02:04PM
My concern going in is putting SN money into tshirts and then they don't sell. It's like tournament tshirts, I love getting them at tournaments but I don't think I've ever bought one. The market for a SN tshirt is an unknown factor, I would rather go into that situation with sponsors knowing even if we don't sell any we could even give them away at that point with no loss in SN money on the backside. Sponsors don't have to be just businesses, it can be individuals and clubs as well.

JOhn k
November 03, 2011 02:53PM
I just wish all 6 BoD members would make the meetings.

November 03, 2011 03:09PM
John, if you sell thirty cotton shirts at twenty bucks, you've paid for the shirts. If you do dry fit you're taking a bigger risk. The artwork contest would create a major interest in the shirts. And, of course no one pays for the tournament shirts, It's a one time thing. This is a year round thing.

Do it right the first time and you'll be doing it right forever. Do it wrong the first time and you'll be hearing about it forever.
November 03, 2011 04:13PM
I would like the shirts to be Dri-fit, but NOT have any sponsors on it. It just needs the SN logo on the front and not very large ( something that would cover a pocket ). Therefore this shirt can be worn about town to dinners with the family and friends. I would not wear a shirt out to dinner, movies, etc. would a back full of sponsors. I am not a walking advertisement. I believe the shirts if done properly will make the SN money and you may even find people buying more than one if these shirts come out as cool as I think they can without the sponsors on them.

Keith "The BodyGuard" Robinson
November 03, 2011 05:23PM
Having a special election to replace a board vacancy is a lot more work for the other board members.

If there are only five (5) Jim will never get to vote. ;)

It's really just a matter of how strict we want to be about having an elected board versus just somebody willing to do it.

I hope the current board is settled in. Your commitment is appreciated.

When I get my shirt I'm cutting the sleeves off.
November 03, 2011 07:46PM
Kevin
When I get my shirt I'm cutting the sleeves off

To show your guns?

Thanks for the input Stafford. A lot of the players already chimed in on this on a thread in the General Discussion. That's where the idea originally came from. Maybe we should revisit that thread and see what ideas have already been floating around?

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
November 03, 2011 10:55PM
jtolbert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To show your guns?

Very funny Mr. T.
November 04, 2011 08:52AM
I agree with the no sponsors on the shirt, just the SN logo and maybe the year, I think it would just look nicer and more professional and isn't that one of the things the SN is trying to accomplish. I understand about wanting sponsors so it's all profit, but I think you would sell more shirts without the sponsors on it. Maybe there is a way to get sponsors for them without having to put them on the shirt??? Don't know how that would work or if sponsors would go for that. Maybe they could be recognized at the SNC's somehow or just shown as a sponsor of the SNC's.

I do think they are a great idea however the BOD decides to do them.
November 04, 2011 10:40AM
Here's that t-shirt thread: [www.sndg.org]

I'm about to peruse it again to see if we missed anything.

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
November 04, 2011 11:06AM
After going back and reading the thread, there were already 2 sponsors willing to put up $100 to get on the back of the shirt. A couple of people wanted just an SN logo embroidered on a polo. Others started mentioning v-necks and such.

The original idea suggested by Buddy was a shirt with sponsors, and many players were in support of it.

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
November 04, 2011 05:35PM
I also agree... it's like a magazine. Why am I paying for this magazine if over 50% it's pages are covered with ads?

BTW, I don't pay for magazines. If they won't send it to me for free I'm not interested in it. Most of the more informative (industry) mags go out for free.

Dri-fits TEE shirts would run you an extra 5 bucks probably.

Keith
I just wish all 6 BoD members would make the meetings.

I wish board members wouldn't quit and then complain about the next round of board members.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take me to the window and understand
I got a rocking chair in my skin.
And every time the wind blows
It brings me down to meet the mood I'm in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SN Top25 Bag Tag database
BRDGA Top10 Bag Tag database
MADGA Top10 Bag Tag database
SFC Top10 Bag Tag database
Anonymous User
November 07, 2011 11:19PM
No one wears cotton shirts anymore unless you want to walk around soaked all day. Change of the times, Dri-Fit all the way.

Could care less if sponsors on the back or not. What's this about a V neck shirt? This is disc golf, not fashion, I say no to V neck.

Hey Keith, looks like we know who our absent BOD members will be this go around!
November 08, 2011 08:24AM
"-Board agreed that having another election to fill a BoD vacancy as opposed to filling it with the candidate with the next fewest votes from previous election would be acceptable."

I like this.
November 08, 2011 10:32AM
I would like the shirts to have no sponsorships either. Dri fit would be nice to but a lot of sponsors, sponsor disc golf because they can have their name on our shirts. I dont think many people would pay for T-shirts. and Where is SN going to get the money to put down on these shirts if there is no sponsorship? SN doesn't have much money to gamble if they are going to sell all of the shirts because if you sell out, you make people mad, and then if you don't sell enough, your out the money. If we do have the money to be doing all of this, i think we should not have shirts and have better and more organized championships.
November 08, 2011 11:39AM
Try taking pre-orders for a month or 6 weeks. That way you have an idea on how many to order in what size. ...actually, you could do waves of orders. Say you will place the shirt order every two months that way incoming players always have a chance to order. Give players an option to have their name custom embroidered on the sleeve or where ever for extra money. Maybe you could even give players a color option with this system. ..I am sure it depends on who you are ordering these shirts from.

Say the shirt costs $15...charge $20-25. Add $10 for custom embroidery.
November 08, 2011 11:59AM
Who all would pay that much for a shirt though? (i would buy one) but would there be enough interest to even worry about it? That would work tho.

Bolty-Bolt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Try taking pre-orders for a month or 6 weeks. That
> way you have an idea on how many to order in what
> size. ...actually, you could do waves of orders.
> Say you will place the shirt order every two
> months that way incoming players always have a
> chance to order. Give players an option to have
> their name custom embroidered on the sleeve or
> where ever for extra money. Maybe you could even
> give players a color option with this system. ..I
> am sure it depends on who you are ordering these
> shirts from.
>
> Say the shirt costs $15...charge $20-25. Add $10
> for custom embroidery.
November 15, 2011 10:03AM
That's actually not a bad idea or price.

Who would pay that much? Lots of people... trust me!

Take me to the window and understand
I got a rocking chair in my skin.
And every time the wind blows
It brings me down to meet the mood I'm in.

SN Top25 Bag Tag database
BRDGA Top10 Bag Tag database
MADGA Top10 Bag Tag database
SFC Top10 Bag Tag database
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013