Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Board Minutes - 11/30/11

Posted by jtolbert 
Board Minutes - 11/30/11
December 01, 2011 08:29AM
Members in Attendance: John Kittrell, Pat Barnes, Justin Tolbert, Leslie Zurowski, Eric Day, (Jamie Massengale available by phone)

Topics:
SN T-Shirts
-Set a goal to have the SN shirts available by February 2012
-Pat and Justin are responsible for seeking T-Shirt sponsors and bringing more design ideas to the next meeting

SN Handbook
-Discussed Sections 1-3
-Board reviewed and agreed on the following amendments based on BoD meeting and vote from 5/11/11
---3.7.1 If a Board Member misses 3 consecutive meetings, the remainder of the board through a unanimous vote of 5-0 may vote that member off of the board.
---3.7.2 If a board members conduct is such that they are disqualified from a tournament, the remainder of the board through a unanimous vote of 5-0 may vote that member off the board.

Player Reclassification
-The Board discussed an idea presented by Leo Otto. The suggestion is in the new SN Handbook under the following guideline:
---1.6 A player may compete in any division for which they are qualified in accordance with the above rules. Exception: The tournament director of a qualifier event may limit the divisions a player may enter in the directors qualifier event based on the players past performance. A tournament director may exclude any player from entry in the directors qualifier event.

Sponsorship Exemptions
-6-0 vote from the Board to remove Sponsorship Exemptions from the SNDC and SNAC
-5-1 vote from the Board to remove Sponsorship Exemptions from the SNPC

SN Committees
-Due to time restraints, most of this discussion has been tabled for the next meeting.
-The Board did decide to get an idea of how many volunteers that are willing to work on committees before the next meeting and discussion.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
BHS Disc Golf [www.youtube.com]
Mobile, Alabama

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2011 10:33AM by lesliez.
Re: Board Minutes - 11/30/11
December 01, 2011 10:38AM
thanks everyone!!!

Field limited to 90 players
[www.facebook.com]
December 01, 2011 10:57AM
lol... sorry Leslie

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
December 01, 2011 12:33PM
I have a few questions and comments regarding how these decisions jive with the proposed new handbook located here:

[www.sndg.org]

Is this section intended as a replacement? The bottom line seems to be that there will be no automatic board member removals. Absent a unanimous vote, no one will be removed from the BOD.

This seems a little fuzzy to me in that "disqualified from a tournament" is not well defined. Perhaps you mean to say that a player who gets DQ'd from any SN event may be removed from the BOD. You could be saying that even if the TD does not DQ, the BOD may decide the player should have been DQ'd and therefore can be removed. Do we have a rule saying the BOD can DQ after the event is over? Either way "disqualified" is fuzzy. If the TD excludes a player from an event is that a DQ, or does it depend on the reason for the exclusion and whether it was "conduct" based?

3.7.1 & 3.7.2
Whatever the BOD member removal standard is, I think you should change the unanimous vote language because 5-0 would not be the vote count if another member has already been removed or if the 7th member has become a full voting seat.

Player Reclassification
Are you saying Leo has proposed something other than the proposed new 1.6 and if so what?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2011 12:35PM by Discjazz.
December 01, 2011 01:20PM
3.7.1 and 3.7.2 were voted on back in May. They should have already been part of the proposed handbook. It is replacing the old guideline of members being put on probation and removed for missing meetings. The new guidelines allow for extenuating circumstances.

So should we just say "unanimous vote" instead? I get your point.

That is not a new 1.6. It was just being referenced as a result of the discussion, basically saying that the suggestion made already jives with the proposed handbook.

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
December 01, 2011 01:55PM
Is this section intended as a replacement? The bottom line seems to be that there will be no automatic board member removals. Absent a unanimous vote, no one will be removed from the BOD.

I agree that it does make it harder to remove someone, almost impossible if they have a friend/ally on the board, however it does allow some leeway for extenuating circumstances

This seems a little fuzzy to me in that "disqualified from a tournament" is not well defined. Perhaps you mean to say that a player who gets DQ'd from any SN event may be removed from the BOD. You could be saying that even if the TD does not DQ, the BOD may decide the player should have been DQ'd and therefore can be removed. Do we have a rule saying the BOD can DQ after the event is over? Either way "disqualified" is fuzzy. If the TD excludes a player from an event is that a DQ, or does it depend on the reason for the exclusion and whether it was "conduct" based?

---3.7.2 If a board members conduct is such that they are disqualified from a tournament by the tournament director, the remainder of the board through a unanimous vote may vote that member off the board.

does that work better Kevin? The dq conduct will be based on the new

Section 4.0: Punishment for Major Rule Violations
Section 7.0: Player Code of Conduct
(or combination of)

that is being worked on...

3.7.1 & 3.7.2
Whatever the BOD member removal standard is, I think you should change the unanimous vote language because 5-0 would not be the vote count if another member has already been removed or if the 7th member has become a full voting seat.

i would be ok with going from unanimous to a majority vote as well

JOhn k

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2011 01:58PM by John K.
December 01, 2011 01:57PM
Thanks Justin. That answers all my questions except what 3.7.2 is supposed to be.

I propose for 3.7.1:
If a Board Member misses three (3) consecutive meetings the Member may be removed from the Board by a unanimous vote of the other elected Board Members.

I would hope the Board would not remove a member for absence unless an immediate replacement is intended. Otherwise I don't see what good it would do.
December 01, 2011 02:09PM
In other words, there is no point I have thought of for removing an habitually absent member during the last 6 months of their term due to 3.8.2.1. Also there is no point I have thought of for removing an habitually absent member, regardless of the time remaining, unless the Board is going to have a mid-term election due to 3.8.4.
December 01, 2011 02:44PM
JK, sorry I didn't see your last post before mine.

I did not mean to suggest disagreement with the unanimous vote requirement.

If you go with majority vote, then you should leave the word "elected" out of my 3.7.1 proposal.

Sorry but I still don't understand the application of 3.7.2. It is not clear whether the board, for a removal, must have a TD DQ, or can it decide that issue or DQ on its own, and either way whether a TD exclusion is a DQ. I acknowledge that you are going to refer to later rules I have not studied but since 3.7.2 is not yet tied to them, either it can't be written yet or it needs to be worded clearer. I will offer language once I understand the intended application.
December 02, 2011 07:18AM
For 3.7.2, the general idea at the time that the discussion and vote took place was to keep the members to a standard of behavior and conduct. We may just need to revisit it if it's hazy.

Justin Tolbert
Mobile, Alabama
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013