Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

BOD Meeting Minutes - January 21, 2014

Posted by cox3 
BOD Meeting Minutes - January 21, 2014
January 21, 2014 10:54PM
Southern Nationals
Board of Directors
Meeting Minutes
January 21, 2014

Members Present: Johnathan Nyce, Eric Day, Chuck Burdine, Josh Brigan, Adam Morrow, and Casey Cox

Topic 1: 2014 Southern Nationals Doubles Championship

We discussed the fact that the person now acting as the primary tournament director was not listed on the original bid and that there was no date given on the original bid. The date now chosen by the tournament director is in conflict with another tournament already on the schedule. We decided to communicate with both parties to see if a resolution can be reached before discussing the matter further.

Topic 2: Should non-SN sanctioned events be allowed to advertise on the SN forum?

***UPDATE: On January 29, 2014, the board held a special vote to revoke this policy by a vote of 5-1.

After much discussion, we voted on the topic. Johnathan Nyce, Josh Brigan, Adam Morrow, and Casey Cox all voted to disallow this practice. Josh, Adam, and Casey added that all existing threads should be allowed to remain since there was no policy in place at the time they were created. Eric Day and Chuck Burdine voted to continue allowing this practice. The motion passed 4-2.

Summary: From this point forward, any thread created on the SN forum which advertises an event not sanctioned by SN will be removed immediately. All existing threads will be allowed to remain since they were created prior to this policy's creation.

Topic 3: Transitioning to the alignment of the SN season with the calendar year

It was conveyed by the board previously that this season would end on March 15, 2014, and that next season would run from March 16, 2014, to December 31, 2014. This was never recorded in any minutes, however, so we decided to revisit the topic. Because of our inabilities to edit this website and the possibility of not having a new website by March 15 which could handle a season change, we decided to vote to extend the statistics of this season to May 31, 2014, but to cut off the fees from this season on March 15, 2014, and begin the fees for next season on March 16, 2014. This vote passed 6-0.

Summary: This season will run exactly as every other season in the past has. Next season will be 7 months long (June 1, 2014, to December 31, 2014. The exception is regarding the fees to be sent to the championship hosts. The three championships to be held in 2014 will receive fees from June 1, 2013, to March 15, 2014, (9 1/2 months). The three championships to be held in 2015 will receive fees from March 16, 2014, to December 31, 2014, (9 1/2 months). The purpose of this is to reduce the suffering that one set of championships would have from only receiving 7 months worth of fees.

Topic 4: 2015 Championships Bidding Process

Since next year's SNPC will be held on Memorial Day weekend of 2015, we decided to start the bidding process for the 2015 championships shortly and announce the locations at the 2014 SN Cup which is scheduled to be held on May 31, 2014, and June 1, 2014, to give these tournaments a full year to prepare as has been customary in the past.

Since moving the championships to the spring will cause a ripple effect with other tournaments, we have decided to contact the tournament directors of existing spring tournaments and give them the option to protect their date for 2015 so that bids for the SNAC and SNDC will not use their established date. This will be done soon and the 2015 bidding process will be opened.

Topic 5: Vote to pay Scott Brouillette $60 to have the beta website completed into a full test site.

Passed 6-0.

Edited 12 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2014 08:33PM by cox3.
Re: BOD Meeting Minutes - January 21, 2014
January 22, 2014 06:46AM
Topic 2: Should non-SN sanctioned events be allowed to advertise on the SN forum?

I disagree with this 100%. You should be trying to grow the sport not alienate yourself.
Think its crappy that a town/city that hosts an average ot 6-8 SN events a year cant advertise the one non-SN event that they might have each year.

Guess I better ask if even dual sanctioned events can advertise.
January 22, 2014 07:12AM
I see Zack's point and want to add that there may be an event held in a traditionally SN city by a traditionally SN affiliated club that can't sanction because of the event's format like the SN Cup or the occasional event we choose not to sanction like we have done for a few small informal fundraiser tournaments.
January 22, 2014 07:27AM
I too, feel the same, Zack. We should allow these events to advertise just as before. I voiced my opinion, and voted as you and Jaques would have, however, I was out voted.

hudd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Topic 2: Should non-SN sanctioned events be
> allowed to advertise on the SN forum?
>
> I disagree with this 100%. You should be trying to
> grow the sport not alienate yourself.
> Think its crappy that a town/city that hosts an
> average ot 6-8 SN events a year cant advertise the
> one non-SN event that they might have each year.
>
> Guess I better ask if even dual sanctioned events
> can advertise.
January 22, 2014 07:41AM
I understand both sides. I would lean toward some sort of compromise between a blanket "no sanction, no advertise" rule and "hey, all tournaments are welcome to advertise on our site without contributing in any way."

Given Zack's example, you/your club/town run X number of SN events per year, you get to advertise one non-sanctioned event on SN's website. The question is, who's going to moderate in an example like this? It creates more time and effort that could be better spent on other things.

What I would not be opposed to is creating a thread within the general discussion for a give tournament that is not able to be replied to. This thread can contain a link to an outside website such as a club website or even facebook where material can be seen.
January 22, 2014 07:58AM
Another answer to this would be if a city/town/club wanted to host a non SN event but wanted to use the SN forum to advertise, make them pay the $.25 per player that is taken out for each player to go to SN expenses. For example, IF I ran a PDGA event and used the SN forum and had 100 players. I send in $25.
Or another option is set a standard fee of say $25 for anyone who wishes to use the forum to advertise a non sanctioned event and the event can't be posted until payment is recieved by the BOD.
There are several ways to do this that would satisfy everyone.
January 22, 2014 08:31AM
I like your second option, Zack. There's no guarantee with the first option that SN would ever see a dime. With the second option, SN will at least get something in return for allowing advertisement of non-sanctioned events.
January 22, 2014 08:37AM
With the second option the SN would actually get more than the average for an SN event if you set the standard fee at $25. SN only keeps $.25 per player. And the average player attendance for events is not close to 100 per.
Just something to think about.
January 22, 2014 08:42AM
I was thinking about the fee (not in terms of actual price). I agree with the fee, but the actual amount of $25 seems like it's a little high for the majority of non-sanctioned tournaments that would want to advertise.
January 22, 2014 11:05AM
Dual sanctioned tournaments are perfectly acceptable- it is still SN sanctioned.

I really don't understand. Why would a tournament want to advertise on the SN forum but not just go ahead and sanction it with the SN? I truly don't understand. It's $2 a player. Just add an extra $2 to the entry fees. It's very easy.

It seems like it's got to the point where everyone feels like they are entitled to advertise their events on this website even if they decide they don't want to sanction their tournaments anymore. This website is designed to promote the Southern Nationals.

ETA: Jacques, regarding, the SN Cup. We discussed that particular event. I believe that it is inherently affiliated with the SN despite not being technically sanctioned. I plan on bringing up the topic of it being added as a 4th major in the near future.

Also, for small, local, fundraising tournaments. Facebook/social media and the local club website should be plenty to advertise a tournament of that magnitude. We did discuss adding a clause that the BOD reserved the right to vote to allow a thread for any non-sanctioned tournament but we felt that it would create too much controversy regarding who we decided could and who we decided could not.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox
"If you aint first, you're last." -- Ricky Bobby's daddy

2007-2008 SN Amateur Player of the Year
SN advanced single season points record holder - 466 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season wins record holder - 16 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season score record holder - 53.40 (2007-2008)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2014 11:16AM by cox3.
January 22, 2014 11:24AM
There has been non SN sanctioned events advertised in the General Discussion thread for years. Don't know where you are getting the all of a sudden thing.
Didn't mean to cause a stir.
January 22, 2014 02:23PM
LoL...at NO Team headquarters yesterday I was saying, just watch and see them change the rules. Guess this BoD is just as intent on running off people as the last one.

Funny how it wasn't a problem for years until I started a thread. I guess this BoD won't be able to rise above the petty personal spite that haunted the last one. That's a shame.
January 22, 2014 04:16PM
hudd Wrote:
> There has been non SN sanctioned events advertised
> in the General Discussion thread for years. Don't
> know where you are getting the all of a sudden
> thing.
> Didn't mean to cause a stir.

This was My point also.
January 22, 2014 04:20PM
It's all good Eric... I changed the date of my event and Dual sanctioned it.
January 22, 2014 08:23PM
Bluff Magee Wrote:
> LoL...at NO Team headquarters yesterday I was
> saying, just watch and see them change the rules.
> Guess this BoD is just as intent on running off
> people as the last one.
>
> Funny how it wasn't a problem for years until I
> started a thread. I guess this BoD won't be able
> to rise above the petty personal spite that
> haunted the last one. That's a shame.

I have always had a problem with non-SN tournaments advertising on the SN forum. The Pot of Gold thread did not change my opinion at all. My opinion is based strictly off of principle. Even the ones of us who voted to institute this policy made it a point to include the language to allow all existing threads to remain which was done primarily so that we did not remove the Pot of Gold thread.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox
"If you aint first, you're last." -- Ricky Bobby's daddy

2007-2008 SN Amateur Player of the Year
SN advanced single season points record holder - 466 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season wins record holder - 16 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season score record holder - 53.40 (2007-2008)
January 24, 2014 07:41PM
Looks like yall wasted $60.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013