Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

TD of the Year Award

Posted by Gary Wagoner 
TD of the Year Award
June 20, 2014 04:23PM
As I watch the nomination process unfolding for the End of Year awards simply throwing a a bunch of names out seems woefully inadequate, especially when it comes to the TD of the Year. Without those folks who are willing to roll up their sleeves and plan, organize and direct tournaments all else falls by the wayside. For this reason I think that the TD of the Year should be the SN's most prestigious award and in order for that to really mean something there ought to be objective criteria established by which the nominees are evaluated.

Here is my suggestion. First, the threshold for even being considered for TD of the Year the nominee must have a least 5 tournaments under his or her belt. No first timers allowed.

Next, the nominee should be evaluated under either of two categories: a) doing something really stupendous or b) their record of successful events. Under the first category merely running a Championship would not make the grade. I am talking about something on the order of making a $100K payout, having a story on Good Morning America, getting tournament television coverage or having the Pope to do the opening prayer. It would take a monumental feat to win the award by this standard.

The second category of a history of running tournaments is more straight forward and objective. It is not as flashy as the first but there are folks out there who quietly and efficiently run multiple tournaments year after year. Many are worthy of being named TD of the Year because they have been TD for a decade. If someone wants to make a nomination under this category then they simply list all the tournaments the nominee has run and the selection committee compares that with other submissions.

In summary, I would like to see the Board raise the bar on the TD of the Year Award. Even for those who are nominated but fail to win the SN community will at least get to see the reasons for their nomination and become aware of all the things they have done for the series.

Gary Wagoner
Re: TD of the Year Award
June 20, 2014 05:13PM
LoL, Gary I nominate you under standard #3, incredible TD comedy skills.

Anyone who can say "SN" and "raise the bar" in a complete sentence while keeping a straight face is truly a talent.
June 20, 2014 05:58PM
Thanks for the thoughts, Gary. I will say that I will do my best to lobby for the candidate whom I feel is the most deserving in each of the 7 categories. I am not one to cast a vote for such awards on anything other than merit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox
"If you aint first, you're last." -- Ricky Bobby's daddy

2007-2008 SN Amateur Player of the Year
SN advanced single season points record holder - 466 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season wins record holder - 16 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season score record holder - 53.40 (2007-2008)
June 20, 2014 06:16PM
Casey,

I think you have missed my point entirely. Let me restate it with a question.

How can nominees for TD of the Year be evaluated on their merits if their merits are not presented for evaluation?

Gary Wagoner
June 20, 2014 07:37PM
That is the purpose of the discussion thread. Feel free to present all of the merits that you feel are important for all of the TDs that you would like.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox

June 21, 2014 03:03AM
Gary Wagoner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Casey,
>
> I think you have missed my point entirely. Let me
> restate it with a question.
>
> How can nominees for TD of the Year be evaluated
> on their merits if their merits are not presented
> for evaluation?
>
> Gary Wagoner

Of the 2 EOY award votes I've been in there has been more discussion on TD and Sportsman then any other catogory. These include Jaques and Southside for TD. Both known for holding very well run events. I know a few years ago Hogman got the award when he came up with the idea of the SN Cup. All I can say is my vote will have more thought placed then people said that persons name more, so he must the winner.
June 21, 2014 09:44AM
I have provided you with an example of what I am talking about.

Gary Wagoner
June 23, 2014 09:23PM
Gary, I would like to know what you think of restricting the nomination and voting for TD of the year to current and former tournament directors. Likewise for all the other applicable categories - am men, am women, pro men, pro women. I think volunteer & sportsmen should be open nomination and voting.
June 23, 2014 10:46PM
It seems these awards are a popularity contest or a southern dominated opinions as far as nominations.

Zack Hudson and TDGA have ran many great tournaments

I ran the civil war series with a final that was a single day event that had $11,731 in payout. (Not a club) By myself

Yet we will only see 90% of the people south of Jackson nominated and win these awards. Instead of taking nominations why not have the SN board look at the information available and make a decision on the people up for the awards and then vote.
June 24, 2014 09:48AM
head Wrote:
> It seems these awards are a popularity contest or
> a southern dominated opinions as far as
> nominations.
>
> Zack Hudson and TDGA have ran many great
> tournaments
>
> I ran the civil war series with a final that was a
> single day event that had $11,731 in payout. (Not
> a club) By myself
>
> Yet we will only see 90% of the people south of
> Jackson nominated and win these awards. Instead of
> taking nominations why not have the SN board look
> at the information available and make a decision
> on the people up for the awards and then vote.

Don't be so quick to assume, Matt. I will definitely use the data available to cast my vote. In regards to the four player awards and the TD award, two of the individuals for whom I plan to vote are from the "north", two are from the "south", and I am split between a "northern" person and "southern" person on the other (may cast my vote for both in that category). And I sure didn't set out to split it like that, I simply looked at the numbers for all five categories and those were the both deserving people, in my opinion. Granted, I am only 1 out of 6 voters so I don't know how the actual recipients will look. I just thought I would share my perspective..

I do think that the volunteer and sportsman awards are MUCH harder to vote because they are purely subjective and there are probably ample more candidates than for the other five as well. For those two I will probably look more at the opinions posted on the nominations thread and look to ask around to gauge people's opinions before voting.

Casey Cox

June 24, 2014 12:09PM
jacques Wrote:
> Gary, I would like to know what you think of
> restricting the nomination and voting for TD of
> the year to current and former tournament
> directors. Likewise for all the other applicable
> categories - am men, am women, pro men, pro women.
> I think volunteer & sportsmen should be open
> nomination and voting.

Jacques,

I like that idea: sort of like the academy awards being nominated and voted on by people in that industry. As I have said before, what you see on tournament day is only the tip of the iceburg for a well run event. If you have never run a tournament then you don't really have an appreciation for what it takes to make it happen. It would also be perk for current and former TD's and set the TD of the Year apart as the SN's top award. I'm not in favor of applying that restriction to other categories.

Gary Wagoner
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 6
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013