Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Change the Southern National Season Dates

Posted by Memphisdiscgolf 
Change the Southern National Season Dates
February 15, 2005 10:42AM
1. I suggest changing the Southern National Season Dates to save a lot of heartache.

Right now the season ends on May 31 and begins on June 1st. This leaves a 3 month gap every year between the season and the Championship which can cause a lot of confusion with people around the country.

I suggest the season be changed to Labor Day to Labor Day.

I suggest that you do this, this year. In other words, extend the 2004-2005 Season to Labor Day this year. Yes some tournaments would end up being held twice in 2004-2005 but that can't be helped until you correct the dates and I doubt many people will care.

2. I suggest the Doubles and AM Tournaments be from Championship to Championship. In other words, no set dates for the Season. Season ends whenever the Championship is held. If the 2004 SN Doubles was in July of 2004 then you have from July 2004 to July 2005 to play in a SN Tournament to qualify.

Brad

Addie
Re: Change the Southern National Season Dates
February 15, 2005 12:43PM
Makes sense Brad. I'll bring it up at the next meeting. Feb. 23rd

It seems like there was a reason behind the delayed time...maybe time to send out invitations or something. I'll check it out.
February 15, 2005 04:52PM
Points discs.

I am pretty sure that was the reason.

Jeff
February 15, 2005 07:19PM
Points discs, awards, time to get all money collected, invites, etc.

Terry Zeringue
February 16, 2005 08:20AM
The time between the end of the season and the championship seem like a long time but not really. The 3 months gives td time to send in results, sn fees. Need all the results in before you can see who gets invitations. Send out invitations. It also gives invitees a month to sign up before everyone else, then gives the rest of the players an opportunity to sign up.

Here is an alternate solution because I agree it is confusing to players that may not play too many sn tournaments and you get those that played in an sn tournament in July but they aren't qualified...

Keep the season dates the same for points, ect, but change the requirements for being allowed to play in the SN championship. Instead of having to have played in a tournament during the season just make the requirement that you had to have played in an sn tournament in the last 15 months (that would include the sn season and the 3 months leading up to the championships)

It would avoid the confusion people have if they are qualified or not. It would open the tournament up to more players given the longer time period. The players that receive invitations would still have the advantage of signing up first. The downside would be that you could play one sn tournament in July and be qualified for 2 sn championships which some people would percieve as unfair, and that would be a valid point.

This is just a thought I had upon reading your email Brad because it has been talked about before.

Also another thought that has been thrown around was this when it comes to qualifing for the sn pro championship. Up to the formal rules being laid out it was OK for any am sn player with sn points to play in the sn pro championship. I've had several advanced players asking if they had to have pro sn points to play in the sn pro championship. As the rules state now that is true. My thought was that if a local am or traveling advanced player wants to measure their game against the pros they should be able to. Here's my proposed solution. The pro sn players with invitations have a month to sign up before anybody else. That usually takes us to the middle of July. At that point the tournament is opened up to anybody with sn pro points. I think that two weeks before the sn pro championship it should be opened up to anybody with sn points. That give a month for invitees, a month for those without invitations with pro points and 2 weeks for everybody. We shouldn't be turning sn players away if there are spots available.

Typically everbody signs up for the sn championship Friday before and Saturday morning. We will be encouraging early sign-ups this year. The Friday before will probably be charged a $5 late fee and Saturday morning will be a $10 late fee with no gauranteed players pack. Last year too many shirts were ordered to make sure everyone got one, I've suggested this year to order less shirts and only gaurantee a certain number of player packs (like 90 or so). People who register early should be rewarded...

That turned into a long post :)

John k
bobsatter
February 16, 2005 11:14AM
Do we really send out invitations? I do not recall ever getting one :{
February 16, 2005 12:16PM
Last year was the first year they had been made since the pro/am split.

They were made for everyone that was invited, it didn't go that well mailing out-wise just because most of the players addresses weren't known. I tried to pass out as many as I could at events I went to as well...

John k
bobsatter
February 16, 2005 03:47PM
ok JK! I was just curious. I thought you just did not want me to play:o}
February 21, 2005 08:54AM
Personally I think sending out Invitations is a waste of time and money. People know when the Tournament is. I mean get real...are you really collecting people's addresses at every Tournament they enter? Wouldn't that be the way you would HAVE to do it to contact everyone who was qualified?

A much easier way is just to keep a running list of Pro's who are qualified and pass it out at certain Tournaments or something.

Change the season time! :D
Brad

There are 27 Tournaments left in this Season. Is this fact being advertised on the PDGA Boards? Now perhaps you don't want people from around the country to attend....then I can realize your stratagy. ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2005 08:56AM by Memphisdiscgolf.
Addie
February 21, 2005 03:50PM
It's not that people don't know when the tournament is, it's an honor to some people, to get that invitation. I don't think it's a waste of time. Shane's invitations from last year were beautifully done. Chad and I both saved ours for our disc golf scrapbooks. I'm pretty sentimental that way. So I enjoy getting mine.

There are definitely other factors to get done before the big Championships. (Points race discs, fees received, etc.) Again, read John K's post above dated Feb. 16th. I'm sure this topic will be discussed at our meeting this week.

Thanks for your input.
bobsatter
February 22, 2005 10:09AM
Addie, there again a select few got them. I did not and I feel like I put my fair share in. With that said I would have liked to have gotten one. As for the cost it is a small expense since you can make them on your PC Postage maybe another 50.00. I due think the season should run a little different.
Brad, I do not see it anywhere on the pdga board but sharks always find blood!!
Now I want my invitation from last year:o{
Addie
February 22, 2005 03:28PM
It wasn't mailed to me. John K passed them out whenever he saw people at events. It was kind of a bad idea in that not everyone got theirs that way. Maybe others had them to pass out too that traveled other places than John K. Sorry you didn't get yours. I think that for one solid year (season) we could have every TD have a list for people to write their addresses.
AirCrow
February 22, 2005 05:39PM
I think it was posted somewhere that the top 90 needed to get their addresses to JK. I think it was on the front page, even. That said, the infamous Boba Sat should have gotten one, as everyone knows how to find him, and no one with no cash got more points than Bob did last year. That's dedication.
bobsatter
February 23, 2005 06:40AM
Yeah what Crow said!! Actually the one event I did cash it was not turned in that way. Yeah i was just dedicated and I was in the top 90 maybe even top 40 cannot remember. Boba:}
February 23, 2005 08:11AM
Addie,

I do think that the Top 90 getting an Invitation that was all done up and pretty would be cool and I even think its a great idea....but the reality is that not many people are getting addresses from the Pro's. I know we don't require it at any of our Tournaments. I also agree that it's yet another thing to add to people's work loads so I am not complaining, just trying to come up with suggestions and ideas.

Perhaps only send out the Invitations to those Pro's who win a Tournament during the year? Those addresses would be a little more easy to get.

Brad
bobsatter
February 23, 2005 10:09AM
Brad, Then Ill never get one:[ I guess I can always step down and bag you!!HEHE
Addie
February 24, 2005 10:03PM
Brad,

"I think that for one solid year (season) we could have every TD have a list for people to write their addresses."

All due respect, how hard would it be to put a piece of paper out for people to write addresses on? That doesn't seem like too much work to me. Just MY opinion. ;)

I don't take things as complaining, I see them as suggestions, so don't worry about that.

ALL good points, though.
February 28, 2005 11:45PM
Hell, I say the next time the "big show" goes back to Mobile, we should play 5 rnds in 3 days since most everyone is off that Monday for labor day(I think it's labor day). :O)

Terry Zeringue
I think I'd rather have Monday to travel, especially if you live over six hours away like I do. That extra day off (for most people) is incentive to make the long drive becuase you know you will have Monday off to either recuperate after driving home late Sunday or use Monday to drive home.

If you wanted to go to five rounds, play two Saturday, two Sunday and have an early morning Monday round, followed by awards and let people have the remainder of the day to drive home.

rWc
March 01, 2005 09:47AM
I thought that is what I said, and I was just joking, but i'm pretty sure i meant play 1 rnd monday

Terry Zeringue
May 20, 2005 09:56AM
3 Months between the end of season and the championship is pretty good. The PDGA takes almost 8 months! :O
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Dex
Guests: 20
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013