Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

SN Board Meeting – 28 Dec 05 – 11 Jan 06

Posted by John K 
SN Board Meeting – 28 Dec 05 – 11 Jan 06
September 22, 2005 11:36AM
SN Board Meeting - 21 Sep 05 - site banner / sn store / TD guide

Members in attendance: Bill McCarty, Russ Corey, Zack Hudson, Robert McDonald, and John Kittrell (but he was late)

Topics of discussion:

1. SN fees from the Duzee Doubles. The Lafayette club had asked that the SN fees be donated to the Red Cross. The 4 members present agreed 4-0 to donate the SN fees ($84) to the tournament charity.

2. A banner for JimO's Skysouth ebay store will be appearing on the SN website in the future once we get with Brian Moon to see what we need to do to accomplish this. 10% of the sales generated through the link to JimO's store will go to the SN series. It was voted 4-0 to do this. It's a win-win situation for the SN and JimO. This will help generate funds that can be used for stuff like printed SN Banners that TDs can use at tournaments, adding money to the championships, etc. Depending on how this goes we aren't opposed to putting other links on the site as well.

3. The idea of a SN store was touched upon. The SN series buying the prizes themselves. Using the inventory at tournaments throughout the year at TDs requests and supplying the prizes for the am championship. This is pretty complicated because it entails lots of stuff such as who would run the store, should the person running the store get a %, ect. It's an idea worth exploring, it just needs to be discussed extensively with all options weighed.

4. We also discussed the getting a TD guide together. A checklist of items to run a tournament from saying "I should run a tournament" to rescheduling the event. Including a suggested entry fee and payout guide.

I'll update anything else I missed at the beginning once Bill McCarty send me the minutes...

Comments are welcome and encouraged!

John k
SN Board Member

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2006 01:51PM by brianlmoon.
A Sn store is a good idea, but I will continue to go through the companies to get the discs at my price. The store would have to have a HUGE inventory, and that takes a good amount of $ upfront, then you are left with discs that no one wants.

And it is a TON of extra work for that indiviual. Prices will have to include the shipping (both to and from the "store") and it would be something that should be a paying job, but is it needed. If anything we need to make sure that John K and Brian M are compensated for all the work they do for the SN Series.

That's it for now,

Willy BT
Re: SN Board Meeting - 21 Sep 05 - site banner / sn store / TD guide
September 22, 2005 03:23PM
My name got left off members in attendance. I was there but left at 8:35.
I like the TD Guide idea. I think keeping it as close to PDGA standards as possible would work the best. Especially for those of us who love running both kinds of events, sometimes even on the same day.
September 23, 2005 03:02PM
Please do not get the SN into the business mode. At least have some respect for the person who started it all. I am sure that he did not intend for the SN to become a competitor nor should it. Please again no SN store, that is crazy!

Shane
I agree with Shane. I do think you should put out the SN TD guide. I am considering running a couple of events in Nashville next year to try and get some more golfers here involved with the SN, and I'm sure I will need all the help I can get if I do.
Personally, I think you guys might be making it harder than it needs to be....

We should be able to order what we want AS we need it in order to supply the SN AM CHMPS......(60 dayz same as cash...).....we can line up selected vendors if need be to supply the rest at an AGREED price....

There is no reason to go to the extent of a store.....PLUS YOU WILL HAVE TAX RAMIFICATIONS AND ENTITY ISSUES IF YOU TREAD FAR INTO THIS STORE NOTION....

K.I.S.S........imho.....Griff
I think that we need to get to the point of getting our plastic/prizes at the lowest rate possible to pay the AMs as much as possible. I am not for alot of profit being made by a local vendor/club at the expense of the payout for these players.So what ever we can do to make the AM Championship more profitable for the players, that is what I am for! If the is no attempt to purchase prizes at a price more close to wholesale than retail, then I think we need some sort of system to get these prizes to the tournies.
September 26, 2005 03:44PM
You know, we could have the AM Championship in Memphis every year if you wanted. :D

Oh...Crow...how about trying to line up the 2007 SN AM Championship in Nashville in 2007. That would be sweet.

Duke of Disc Golf A-Number 1
[daffyshirts.com]
Brad, do you need a new car or something? Or does Memphis need another course? Maybe the store should be in Memphis?
September 28, 2005 01:03PM
John K Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 2. A banner for JimO's Skysouth ebay store will
> be appearing on the SN website in the future once
> we get with Brian Moon to see what we need to do
> to accomplish this. 10% of the sales generated
> through the link to JimO's store will go to the SN
> series. It was voted 4-0 to do this. It's a
> win-win situation for the SN and JimO. This will
> help generate funds that can be used for stuff
> like printed SN Banners that TDs can use at
> tournaments, adding money to the championships,
> etc. Depending on how this goes we aren't opposed
> to putting other links on the site as well.

How about putting together an entire page devoted to vendors. Allowing vendors to advertise their online stores on the page for a negoiated price (like 10% of associated sales) that diverts into the SN funds for the Pro/Am Championships.

Not to intentionally take business away from Jim's store (many SN players will be loyal to Jim) but this could add to the piggy bank of the SN while supporting fellow discgolfers around the country. It would be useful because with multiple vendors, the players/shoppers will be better enabled to find the products they are looking for. Not every retailer stocks the same merch. And at the same time, these retailers could advertise elsewhere that they are supporters of the Southern Nationals Tournament series.
September 29, 2005 09:15AM
I would like to reiterate the suggestion I made on another thread to use the PDGA payout tables. The electronic version of their Tourney spreadsheet does the payouts for you if you have a computer, or you can print the basic tables and use a small calculator. Either way, it saves somebody the work of coming up with the tables and I think the payout spread is reasonable. IF someone needs the spreadsheet I can email it to them.
September 29, 2005 09:54AM
Matt I have to disagree with you. I just ran my first PDGA event two weeks ago and their table frustrated me to no end as it was completely off how I've always done payouts before. It wanted me to pay 4 places in open when I had 7 teams and 3 places in Advanced where I had all of 5 teams. The payout in the Am divisions wasn't really thought out. It just seemed to start at one point and knock 10 percent off each time until they got down to last place. Even in the Am's I personally think a premium (maybe not as big a premium but a premium none the less) should be placed one winning FIRST place.

In retrospect there table has very little thought in it. I've made more appropriate tables during the first round of my IceBowl while I was playing and trying to figure out my payouts. Now I understand that most TD's will not want to take on the added frustration of having to do the math in your head (I personally enjoy it to the bafflement of those I am playing that round with) but I would think a better table could be created other than the PDGA's.

Just my two cents.

Jeff H
September 29, 2005 11:06AM
Jeff,

I have no arguement that the PDGA tables are not one size fits all but they are at least a starting point.

Maybe you are the guy that should come up with the SNDG tables since you enjoy all that math so much! ;-)~
i think jeff is still busy trying to figure out where all the SNAC $$ went. it's almost as difficult as calculating Pi to the last digit!
October 02, 2005 07:13PM
I only calculate Pi to the last forkfull, or spoonfull if Ala Mode!

Dg Guy - Disc GOlf Plaques & Awards
417-876-2197 House
417-296-6560 Cell

Know what you throw. . .
. . . throw what you know!
October 03, 2005 09:54AM
i can create some good payout tables,mikey

"i am pure EVIL,now give me your funds"
creator of the most popular thread on the S.N.forums of all time
"Screw your Friggin Points"
PAID FOR BY THE FRIENDS AND SUPPORTERS OF THE GregOsnose "Sandbaggers, help the sport, help yourself - move up."
[profiles.yahoo.com]
i suggested the 10% , i also suggested any one else who wanted to advertise to pay 10%, or donate that or more, the main thing i want to do is get more s.n. discs tees, and other items out so people other than golfers see what you do in your spare time, this will lead to sponsors, and more people discovering disc golf to. that is the piece to the puzzle we must find. yes i will make money , but the more i make the more that will come back to s.n., i dont like the ideal of the s.n. having anything to do with prizes beside baskets, and helping a hosting city know what to do with the funds, it will tie the hosting city hands to what they can do.if we have problems with it , then think some more on it. we are heading in the right direction, we are learning and trying new things. that the main thing is trying.the s.n. should look for ways to make funds , but with out someone donating their spare time.we will soon have to start paying people to do what john doing now, so keep that in mind to. i wish all td would not charge john to play in any tournament, i dont and i hope other td will do the same untill we start paying him, the same with moon to. we might want to think about paying john,now go ace one for me, jim
October 04, 2005 07:28PM
Jeff,

What you experienced is the flat payout structure. It is basically, in short, a payout structure that makes it "unprofitable" to play in Am's. Greg Snore will like that because it helps prevent bagging. Good players would have no incentive to play Am because they are not winning baskets. However, in larger Am tournaments, such as USADGC, Mid Nationals, Worlds, SNAC, etc., paying out a basket and a high $$ payout is fine because of the prestige of the event. But for a local tournament to pay a basket is ridiculous.

Also a flat payout structure pays deep into the am ranks. Why? Even though it does cheapen the payout at the top, it gives the lessor skilled players incentive to come back to another touranment instead of them quitting playing. Because perhaps the next Ken Climo or Matt Orum might quit if he feels ripped off because he placed in the top 50% of his division in his first tournament and did not recieve jack for it, while some guy who beat him by 1 stroke because he made a luck 100ft birdie recieved 5 discs! Am's should play tournaments for either the love of the game, or the desire to get better, however once they get better they should move up with the competition.

Jim and the Board,

About the advertising to raise SN funds.

If you stay long enough on the PDGA forums, you will hear the SN talked about quite often. Some good, some bad, but never the less, it is advertisement. The SN is known nationally. Perhaps an advertisement/notice sent out to retailers and vendors, offering them the opportunity to advertise on the SN website would benefit the cause better? I know first hand that other people know about the SN, because at every tournament I travel to, when my card mates found out where I am from (Birmingham) they say "Oh, you guys have the Southern Nationals down there huh?" The word of mouth has spread, perhaps it is time to capitalize on the situation.
October 04, 2005 11:53PM
Kris,

Actually, we did discuss other vendors having banner adds on the Southern National page, we thought that first, we would just do it with Jim as a pilot project and get the bugs worked out first before opening it up to other vendors.

Banner adds are a great way to add revenue to a site, so the idea is sound and time tested. We just need to see if Brian can get it set up to work properly before we get in over our heads.

Just like everything else, we tend to proceed slowly, might seem we are not getting anything done, but we would prefer that to having to "undo" things!

Dg Guy - Disc GOlf Plaques & Awards
417-876-2197 House
417-296-6560 Cell

Know what you throw. . .
. . . throw what you know!
October 05, 2005 01:40AM
Saying "a local tournament to pay a basket is ridiculous" is ridiculous. It is a local tournament, and that is it. Let the TD do what he pleases, it's his tournament. Usually tournaments that give away a basket for prizes also has players packs so everyone goes home with something. The DGA sponsership is a very good thing, especially for an AM tournament.

Terry Zeringue
October 05, 2005 04:21PM
DG Guy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just like everything else, we tend to proceed
> slowly, might seem we are not getting anything
> done, but we would prefer that to having to "undo"
> things!
>

That makes sense, haste makes waste. Best of luck, I hope I am still around (the south) to see this idea bloom into reality.
Re: SN Board Meeting - 28 Sep 05 - Distribution of SN charity funds / TD guide
October 10, 2005 10:08AM
SN Board Meeting - 28 Sep 05 - Distribution of SN charity funds / TD guide

Members present: Bill McCarty, Robert McDonald, Russ Corey, Zack Hudson, and John Kittrell

Topics discussed:
1 - The distribution of the SN charity funds raised for those affected by the hurricanes. It was decided to post a thread on the forum asking for the players input on those sn players that need the most help. The funds will be distributed in increments of $200-$250. We need names and addresses of those that need help.

2 - The topic of a TD guide was again brought up. The guidebook will include information and checklists for TDs to use leading up to the event, the day of the event, and a post-tournament checklist. Information included will be a suggested entry fee list as well as a suggested payout scale. Various sections of the guide was divied up, we'll be posting info about different sections the guide in the future for input from the players as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2005 10:11AM by John K.
October 18, 2005 11:35AM
Hey John, unless CrapCast gets my Internet connection fixed by Wednesday night, I'm gonna have to miss my first board meeting. They've had me off since Wednesday afternoon when they tried to transfer our account to my mom's house. Their cable Internet is great, but their customer service is pathetic at best. A "technician" is supposed to be coming to the house to get it back on, but I'll believe it when I see it. Russ C.
October 18, 2005 02:37PM
impeachment proceedings ... recall, recall
chris, you should be ashamed of yourself. don't you know it is almost illegal to make any kind of jokes of this forum? don't you know how the SN board members' egos bruise easily? they are the greatest group of people to have ever walked a disc golf course and deserve better treatment from people like you. they are busting their butts night and day making sure that the funds that TD's like you and i raise for the SN are completely and utterly wasted and/or deposited directly into Jim O's bank account---do you think it is easy being that incompetant? it's not! it takes a special group of miscreants to be so foolish, so you should look up to them. we'd be nothing without them.

the preceding announcement does not apply directly to Zack who informed me he was the sole dissenter in the SN board's decision not to investigate the heist of the SN funds by the scumbags in Lafayette. apparently, Zinger has already been assimilated and has totally lost his nuts, or, maybe he was paid some hush money by the theiving bastages to keep quiet.
October 19, 2005 10:23AM
I AM NOT A CROOK

"i am pure EVIL,now give me your funds"
creator of the most popular thread on the S.N.forums of all time
"Screw your Friggin Points"
PAID FOR BY THE FRIENDS AND SUPPORTERS OF THE GregOsnose "Sandbaggers, help the sport, help yourself - move up."
[profiles.yahoo.com]
you know, it easy for you MIKE KERNAN to set back and judge people, but if you had any nuts you would have stepped up yourself and ran for a board position. But of course that would be to easy. After all you wouldn't want to sit there and slander yourself day after day.
October 19, 2005 11:25AM
"the preceding announcement does not apply directly to Zack who informed me he was the sole dissenter in the SN board's decision not to investigate the heist of the SN funds by the scumbags in Lafayette."

we had a decisoion? wow, nobody informed me.

Terry Zeringue
Zinger, you're a riot, and perfect for the most clueless bunch of misfits ever to hold a telecon. Zack, sorry, but I didn't want to lower myself to be part of the SN board of scum. I'm way too superior for that, being honest and all, and as someone who gives back to the sport i just wouldn't fit in with you crooks.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Online Users

Guests: 67
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013