Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Suggestion for Board consideration

Posted by cajundop 
Suggestion for Board consideration
January 30, 2006 09:32PM
I would like to pose to the board that consideration be put into restricting advertising for tournaments NOT sanctioned or not intending to be sanctioned on our SN boards.

One of the benefits that TD's receive for sanctioning their event with the SN is the benefit of using this forum for advertising and attracting potential players. By allowing competing tourneys that have no intention of sanctioning in the SN to use this forum ends up hurting the very tournaments that are trying to support the SN.

Right now there are two events posting threads as I type that have both stated, in the thread, that they do not intend to sanction via the SN and yet there ARE events sanctioned for that weekend.

Jeff H
Re: Suggestion for Board consideration
January 31, 2006 07:31AM
I'll 2nd the motion.

JABBA

it MUST be the plastic
January 31, 2006 08:44AM
Nobody pass out on me, but I actually agree for the most part with Jeff on this one. Tournament directors that have asked for and received SN sanctioning should be given the right to advertise and discuss the details of their upcoming tournaments on this site without getting lost between the threads of those tournaments that will not be sanctioned.

That being said I have to admit I am planning on playing in one of these non-sanctioned tournaments and, I would not have known about it if not for this site. Has the idea of a separate forum for non-sanctioned tournaments been discussed? And please don't say yeah, it's at www.pdga.com. Not everyone that comes to this website is a member or supporter of the PDGA. They are just disc golfers that want to know where they can find a tournament in which to play.

I realize by doing this we are opening the door for “competition” for more and more tournaments to pop up and go head to head with sanctioned tournaments. To limit the number of non-sanctioned tournaments that would post on the alternative forum a requirement could be made that either that TD or the course must also offer a sanctioned tournament within the same calendar/SN year. This would let people/events that are traditionally affiliated with the SN the flexibility to step outside the box and try something new. Offer something different that may not have been done in the area before.

Just more food for thought.
January 31, 2006 01:31PM
so we couldent advertise small regional tournaments such as the TVT series in north Alabama? not every club has their own website

-will
January 31, 2006 11:02PM
I can ask the board to consider it.

But I really don't see a problem. I would suspect that in most cases, players would rather attend a sanctioned event rather than an unsanctioned event, if distance, price, etc., were equal. I may be wrong.

What events are you addressing specifically? The Huntsville Ice Bowl?
The Tennessee Valley Tour?

The Huntsville Ice bowl is a once a year charity event.

The TVT is a monthly, one round, mostly local series that I doubt will draw players from a sanctioned SN Event.

I could see the problem with PDGA events that aren't co-sanctioned, but I didn't think this was an exclusive site. Yes, the banner said SNDG, but I see no problem letting people know about other events through this site.

rWc
February 01, 2006 12:02AM
I imagine that Jeff is specifically speaking about my tournament.

While there is no official determination of whether or not this event will be sanctioned as a SN Qualifier or not, I have recieved resistance from people playing in this tournament not to make it SN.

Why? Soley for the reason that this tournament is designated to maximize payout. You argue (but Kris are you not making this PDGA?) Yes, yes I am. But the sanctioning fee is being donated by me. And the request to make it PDGA came from the tournament players themselves. So the majority of the players are voluntarily giving up $2 to the PDGA. I cannot disagree with them not wanting to give up an extra $2. When I started with the idea for the Golden George, it was going to be completely unsanctioned, no SN or PDGA.

I honestly feel, that if this event was not PDGA, I would not recieve the resistance and animosity from people not even intending on attending my event. But there is an overwhelming anti-PDGA reaction from the general discussion board, it makes anyone new to this area reluctant to want to be apart of the mess. I cannot understand why these people have this hatred, and cannot see that the peaceful and understanding co-existance of these two sanctioning bodies is a great thing for this sport. This does not mean that every event will be dual sanctioned, it will mean that some events are PDGA only, some are SN only and some are dual sanctioned.

I feel that it would be in the best interest of the disc golf community in this region to start a forum section specifically designated to non-SN tournaments. Why? Because this website is an extremely popular DG news medium for the Southeastern portion of the United States. Not allowing people to post information concerning disc golf, which does not happen to be SN only related, does seem short sighted in my eyes, I would think that the BOD, and the "movers and shakers" in the Southern Nationals region would want the sport of disc golf to grow in all directions. I will voluntarily move my thread to a designated section of the forums if these certain people would stop littering my medium of information exchange with their banter.

I would also ask, that a seperate forum section be used for the Miscellaneous garbage that litters the general section of the main forum. A new discgolfer or inbound traveling golfer has to weed through pages of smack talk and insults before they can find any useful information about the tournament they are interested in.

I am requesting and asking as a completely unbiased disc golfer and tournament director. Those who know me know that I will not be located in the south much more then 6 months from now. So suggestions I am making are to benifit disc golf in general. I have no selfish intentions for the suggestions I make.

Best of luck, I know you will do what is best for the sport.

Kris Allen
Disc Golf Birmingham
Tournament Director, The Golden George

(Jeff Haydel, I am not calling you out. I completely understand and respect your concerns.) I hope you play my tournament and I look forward to your constructive critisims.
February 01, 2006 08:27AM
straightflight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I feel that it would be in the best interest of
> the disc golf community in this region to start a
> forum section specifically designated to non-SN
> tournaments.

Gee. Why didn't I think of that? ;)

Judy

February 01, 2006 02:25PM
Judy, I was merely restating and supporting the idea. I was not trying to steal credit.
February 01, 2006 02:44PM
And I was just trying to give you a hard time. :)
February 01, 2006 02:51PM
straightflight and Russ, I am in particular not targetting ANY single thread or tournament (in fact Kris, yours wasn't even one of the two I was thinking of when I posted.) I shouldn't have to call our a single tournament or TD.

It all comes down to what do I, as a TD, get for sending my money to the SN to sanction my event. My players get SN points. I also get my tournament posted on the SN schedule and sometimes a brief blurb about it on the front page. Usually a thread for my event is made sticky the week before my event is held to allow discussion.

I personally feel like its a priviledge to post on the SN board, not a right. I could be in the minority there.

Jeff H
February 01, 2006 03:13PM
I am in agreement. Right now the discussion board is a free form of advertisement (or until Brian gets tired of running it).

And realistically, the BOD could decide that only SN events can be discussed. If that was so the case, then perhaps other events and similar topics could be posted elsewhere in the forums.

It would be kinda like, you can get some free advertisement, but if you want high traffic in a popular area then you will have to pay for it, ie SN sanctioning.

But I am not on the board, so all I can do is suggest.
February 01, 2006 05:53PM
Kris, for being such a PRO PDGAer, you sure seem to be in disagreement to make the SN forum be only for SN events. Didn't the pdga recently make it where non pdga members couldn't post on there forum? If a tournament is only PDGA, then why not only post it on the PDGA forum? If everyone that is planning on attending strongly feels that you should NOT SN sanction the tournament, then why go to the SN forum to get info about it?

Terry Zeringue
February 01, 2006 07:06PM
I see he forum as more than the SN Forum, but as a meeting place and clearing house for information for the region. I don't see how supplying information about a non-sn event harms this forum. Nobody has a problem with all the BS posts that ran so many people way or the non-disc golf related posts. I'll ask the board about it the next time we meet if they want to take action on the issue. But I don't think I'd support a move to limit discussion of non-SN events. rWc
February 01, 2006 07:51PM
Terry,

I am a Pro-Discgolfer. The reasons the PDGA went to designate the PDGA discussion boards as posting by members only was due to the fact that a few non-members, dispite formalized requests and banishment, were defaming the PDGA on the PDGA forums.

This is a far cry from posting information about non-SN tournaments on these forums.

Also, there are no rules stipulating that you can only post information about PDGA related events and communications on the PDGA site. I know you have navigated thier complex network of forum topics. There are miscellaneous forums and club forums for this sort of information. As well you can post information about a tournament on the Tournaments forum. Sure you must be a member to post, but a member can post almost everything. And do not forget that the PDGA is a private membership based organization, it is not wrong or immoral to ban people or censor comments. In actuallity, these forums belong to Brian Moon, he can realisitically pull the plug on this any time he chooses.

The SN also has a members only posting requirement, but that membership is only based on logging into the forums.

Information about this tournament is on the PDGA Forums, the Disc Golf Birmingham Forums also. I placed the information on the SN forum because most of the disc golfers in the state and region get local tournament information here. I was merely advertising in the highest traffic location available for my resources.
February 01, 2006 08:02PM
Russ C Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Nobody has a problem with all the BS posts that
> ran so many people way or the non-disc golf

Russ you have got to be joking me!!! If you REALLY believe that "nobody has a problem with ...." then you need to get your head out of your ... and see just how many people have basically stopped posting and reading the forum. My wife and I are just two examples of people who have scaled back DRAMATICALLY their forum involvment, but if you think none of us have a problem with the BS posts....sheesh.

> related posts. I'll ask the board about it the
> next time we meet if they want to take action on
> the issue. But I don't think I'd support a move to
> limit discussion of non-SN events. rWc

Thanks for letting us know your opinion on the concept. Any other board members want to chime in?

Jeff
February 01, 2006 08:06PM
thanks kris for the good points

Terry Zeringue
February 01, 2006 09:23PM
Excuse me Jeff? That was exactly the point I was trying to make, but apparently didn't do it in the clearest way. I know how many people basically fled the forum after all the crap started, myself included. For your benefit, I'll try to state my points more clearly in the future. And I hope the other board members DO chime in. But I don't know how many people get into this dark corner of the forum. rWc
February 02, 2006 11:10AM
seems like all the board members should check this section of the website considering it is called "Suggestions for the Board". :O)

Terry Zeringue
February 02, 2006 08:40PM
I have not read all of the posts on this one yet, so this post will not address all teh above stated issues.

My initial feeling is this:

Just like the message board at the local music store, or bowling alley, whatever, it is our duty to promote communication within the Disc Golf Community.

Yes, I realize that, with the proliferation of events, some percentage of them will not be sanctioned events. While I am in 1000% support of sanctioned events, I would hate to not be aware of other tournament options, in the case of a sanctioned event being too far for me to attend.

With a finite number of weekends, and a growning number of events, sanctioned and non-sanctioned, every year, I feel it will only get worse.

I don't feel there will be a cookie-cutter solution to this particular issue, and I am sure it will not go away.

Perhaps a separate section, similar to this suggestion thread, just for non-sanctioned events.

It is an issue that needs to be addressed before it spirals out of control and we have players and/or TD's at each others throats.

It will soon get to the point that you may not be able to sanction due to distances from another established event.

I sure there will be much more discussion on this topic.

Kris,

As far as maximizing the payout, that is one of the best reasons I know for getting out and seeking sponsorships.

Our spring event is coming up in about 5 weeks. We plan on 100% plus payouts, with skins for the final six. Sponsorships will be paying for all the sanctioning fees, skins, and much more. Not a big deal, we just get out and pound the pavement and get those hole sponsors. This will be the biggest one yet, and we have never had anyone having a problem with the payouts. Food for thought.

Dg Guy - Disc GOlf Plaques & Awards
417-876-2197 House
417-296-6560 Cell

Know what you throw. . .
. . . throw what you know!
February 02, 2006 08:47PM
I know that I have not had the time to live on any of these forums, wish I did, there is a lot of good stuff here, you just have to sort it out a bit.

One of our most valuable resources are our players and TD's, and it is good to hear what they have to say.

417-876-2197 House
417-296-6560 Cell

Know what you throw. . .
August 08, 2006 03:17PM
To Whom it May Concern:

The Weekend of August 5th- 6th there was supposed to be a doubles tournament at Rosedale’s Great River Road State Park and Win Burford was to be the Tournament Director. My cousin and I spoke with him twice the week before the tournament asking him questions specific to the tournament, because no information had ever been posted on the Southern Nationals website. He answered the questions and there seemed to be no problem with the tournament schedule. We traveled 170 miles one way to Rosedale and upon arrival found that there was no tournament. Win Burford had not shown up at the park and had not called the park to give them any information. After speaking with the Head Ranger, I was made aware of the fact that Win had done this before and yet no action has been taken to ban individuals like this from being tournament directors. Events like this surely set back the advancement of the sport and the PDGA For respect of the game, the players, the parks, and the Southern Nationals Disc Golf Association; I would like to make a motion to have Win Burford banned from being a tournament director.

Sincerely,

Stephens Daniel
August 09, 2006 11:26AM
This is the second time that I know of that this has happened.
The first time Zack Hudson took over and there was a tourney played albeit a small event. I 2nd Stephens Daniel motion. Somehow the board needs to take some kind of action to prevent this from occuring again in the future.
Please make the SN sanctioning worth/mean something to and for our players.

JABBA

it MUST be the plastic
August 09, 2006 01:09PM
I am not sure if this event was even sanctioned or not. I will be checking into it.

417-876-2197 House
417-296-6560 Cell

Know what you throw. . .
August 09, 2006 01:49PM
I sent Stephen an email apologizing on behalf of the the SN. You are correct Jabba, when we allow an event to be sanctioned it reflects on us both good and bad, so we do have some responsiblity.

I did talk to Win who scheduled the event and Calvin the park manager last week. I still had reservations which is why there wasn't a hot thread on the forum, plus there was no info.

Unless there is a known SN td that runs a tournament there Rosedale won't be back on the schedule anytime soon

At least that's my opinion.

John k
October 04, 2006 10:48AM
tHEN WE NEED TO CALL OUT AN SN TD!!!

That course and the folks at that park have done WAY TOO much for us to be left out.

I agree it isn't the best geographically located park, but it is one of the best, well kept courses in the region. It would be shameful to lose this gem in the series.

I do agree that it must be properly run....but I, for one, would hope the SN and area TD's would get together and help Rosedale out...Great River Road is a bada$$ place to play! imho....Griff

Griff
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 7
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013