Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Southern National Am Championship Guidelines
May 05, 2006 09:21AM
Southern National AM Championship Guidelines

The guidelines presented below are the minimum standards set forth by the Southern National Board. The host city of the SNAC is committed to running a championship level tournament for the players. The appropriate level of forethought and planning is required to make this representative of the culmination of a SN season.

1. A minimum of 2, 18 hole courses in excellent shape, appropriate for the level of competition.

2. The host city will provide invitations for the 144 players to be invited. The invitation list will be provided by the SN Board based on the percentage of each division in regards to the total number of am players. Invitations for the SNAC will be mailed no later than June 21.

3. All SN fees are turned over to the host city along with a breakdown regarding the amount that was collected for each division (in singles tournaments). This information is provided by the SN Treasurer to the host city, SN Board and SN players vis the SN forum. All SN fees will be returned to the respective division.

4. Each Division should payout a minimum of 125% of SN fees and Entry fees collected, i.e. if $1000 in Sn fees and Entry fees s were collected for the Advanced division then $1250 should be paid out in fair retail value. (See 13 for definition of FRV)

5. Divisions offered: the minimum divisions offered will be Advanced Men, Advanced Master, Am Men, Am Masters, Am Women, and Juniors. Other divisions such as Advanced Women can be offered if there are enough players to constitute a division as determined by the host.

6. What constitutes Payout?
...a. Payout includes the prizes given out to the top 35% (minimum) in the advanced am divisions (Adv Men, Adv Masters, Adv Women)
...b. Payout includes prizes given out to the top 45% (minimum) in the am divisions (Am Men, Am Masters, Am Women, Juniors)
...c. Payout includes trophies in ACTUAL cost for each division.
...d. Payout includes the players package that is given out to all registered players in their respective division.
...e. Payout includes any prizes for contests that are broken down by division, such as putting, driving contests.
...f. Payout includes any prizes for CTPs that are broken down by division.

7. Each player should get a players package with a fair retail value of at least $35 as a minimum. Contents of the players package will be determined by the host. The mark up to retail value for items such as shirts and discs will be approved by the SN Board. Approval for other items in the players package in regards to what can be considered payout will be by the SN Board.

8. The tournament will be a minimum 3 and a half rounds. There can be a cut after the 3rd round.

9. Each division will have trophies or plaques for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

10. Sponsorship money: All sponsorship mooney raised by the host club can be designated as the sponsor/hostchooses.

11. Baskets:
...a. Each division (except Juniors) will have a basket whose quality is equal to the Innova discatcher pro / discraft chainstar for 1st place (about $360 retail).
...b. Each division (except Juniors) will have a basket whose quality is equal to or greater than the Lightning DB5 / Innova Discatcher Sport for 2nd place (about $175 retail).
...c. Exceptions will be made on the quality of the basket based upon the size of the division and the amount of SN fees contributed from that division. First place in those instances will be awarded a basket whose quality is equal to or greater than the Lightning DB5 / Innova Discatcher Sport for 2nd place (about $175 retail).

An example of this is at a future SNAC if there is a fielded Adv Womens division. In 2005 there were $420 in SN fees generated by the am womens division. If the division split into am and adv womens divisions, example 6 am women and 4 adv women the SN fees of $420 would be split per capita with $252 ($42 x 6) going into the am womens payout and $168 ($42 x 4) going into the adv womens payout. Add entry fees to the equation ($45) the SN fees and entry fee from the am womens division would be $522 and $348 in the adv womens division. Mulitiple that times the required 125% minimum payout equals $653 for the am women and $435 in the adv womens divisions. Subtract players package which is considered part of the payout (minimum $35) equals $443 left for payout in the am womens division and $295 left for payout in the adv womens division. Even without figuring in the cost of the trophies which count toward the payout the adv womens division wouldn't justify a $360 basket but it would justify a $175 basket leaving $120 for 2nd place paying out 2 of 4 places.

...d. The SN Board will provide the baskets for the SNAC. The baskets will be provided to the host at cost.

12. The host city will provide to the SN Board a complete accounting of the money taken in (i.e. sponsorship money, SN fees, entry fees) and money paid out giving actual cost of items with photocopied reciepts. Accountability is important.

(The SN Board will comminicate with the host to determine the best means of doing this, while we want to keep the process as simple as possible accountability is important.)

13. Fair Retail Value: This is the value of the merchandise at the average cost to a player buying from a vendor. The pricing of each type of disc used for payout(i.e. DX, Pro Line, CE) must be approved by the SN Board to ensure pricing is fair.

14. A minimum of 2 SN Board members will be present at the SNAC to ensure the quality of the event is maintained.

15. A minimum of two extra curricular events will be offered. Suggestions include:
...a. putting contest
...b. driving contest
...c. skils contest
...d. rings of fire
...e. mini course

16. The host city can profit from the tournament. A MAXIMUM of $500 can be made by the host city if ALL the SNAC guidelines outlined above (i.e. 125% payout) have been met.

17. Sponsorship ecemptions: Sponsorship exemptions will be given to those individuals that dont have SN points in an Amateur division. The limit of exemption is $200 for a player at the SNAC. Sponsorship can come from individuals or corporate. It is the discretion of the host city to deny sponsorship exemption if they deem the player applying for the exemption to be of pro caliber based on other tournament series such as the PDGA.

Sponsorship excemptions were raised to $400 cash only PER excemption. A player may only recieve one excemption for any one championship in a 2 year period. Edited 09/15/10

18. Eligibility: All players that have competed in an SN tournament that was an appropriate SNAC qualifier and obtained the mimimum 2 AM points required (players that played in a nonpoints division such as Novice are eligible to register the last two weeks prior to the championship if the tournament isnt full at that point.)

The rest of the Guidelines for the Pro and Doubles Championship will be posted, I had to retype thisin, the forum didn't like the copy pasted version. Brian Moon is helping me get them liked up on the site.

John k

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2013 08:35AM by hudd.
Re: Southern National Am Championship Guidelines
May 05, 2006 11:46AM
These guidelines are a good step in the right direction. There are lots of other things clubs can do to put on a quality Am event (like free food) that doesn't cost that much.
May 06, 2006 01:10AM
good deal. keep up the good work. can't wait to see mobile. have the courses been decided yet??
May 06, 2006 02:05AM
yes
May 06, 2006 09:28AM

"i am pure EVIL,now give me your funds"
creator of the most popular thread on the S.N.forums of all time
"Screw your Friggin Points"
PAID FOR BY THE FRIENDS AND SUPPORTERS OF THE GregOsnose "Sandbaggers, help the sport, help yourself - move up."
[profiles.yahoo.com]
May 06, 2006 09:33PM
I just like the sound of woman/basket. I have been hoping to play a tourny where I could win a basket. I've paid my dues...*wink*

Michelle "Snap"
May 07, 2006 07:14AM
.........one great step for Disc Golf.........

sounds good John, I only wish this had been written a year ago.

Thankyou,

Russell Bourg
former PDGA member # 26070
May 07, 2006 10:41AM
FISHMAN Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> .........one great step for Disc Golf.........
>
> sounds good John, I only wish this had been
> written a year ago.
>
> Thankyou,

ill second that

"i am pure EVIL,now give me your funds"
creator of the most popular thread on the S.N.forums of all time
"Screw your Friggin Points"
PAID FOR BY THE FRIENDS AND SUPPORTERS OF THE GregOsnose "Sandbaggers, help the sport, help yourself - move up."
[profiles.yahoo.com]
October 23, 2007 09:35AM
You need to Redefine Your Guidelines!!!
October 23, 2007 06:35PM
That was helpful Jack. In what/which way(s) are you dissatisfied with the guidelines? Please be specific.

JABBA

it MUST be the plastic
October 24, 2007 08:37AM
A Few:#5 Div offered Adv Am Masters should be one Div NOT Two! Past SNAC 2 out of 4 winners in am masters had cashed in ADV Masters in 6 Months!!! #9 Do NOT require top 3 trophy... SO MANY Div ALREADY, that most only have 4 Players in a Div!!! #11 Baskets for Winners Sounds like a good reason to BAG to Me!!! #14 Two NON-PLAYING Board Members!!! #15 We HAVE TO start showing the Masses What DG is about We MUST remove 15B How can throwing REAL hard With NO CONTROL have ANYTHING to do with Disc Golf!!!!! Just a Start...
October 30, 2007 01:27AM
#11 also a good reason to make a longer trip for a tournament.
#15 showing the masses what DG is about starts with getting them interested, and big D is really fun to watch (I'd also like to point out that a driving contest is not necessarily the same thing as a distance contest). Also, throwing hard is not enough to achieve distance, you need good technique and form.
October 30, 2007 07:50PM
Hopefully the clubs who get these events will have enough support personnel to run these events properly. And really, is a championship for the players a good time to put on demonstrations for the public? Sounds like one days or local events would be better. I'd much rather relax after after two rounds of golf, but so long as the events are optional, go for it. rWc****
June 23, 2008 03:39PM
John, thanks in advance for all the hard work that I know you and your team are going to be putting in for us. We are looking forward to the event.

#11 - We're traveling from Tupelo, MS for the Jr. division only. No basket because the division might have the smallest participation and hard to justify the expense? If so, I understand.

However, it might be nice to have a Lightening DB5/Innova Discatcher Sport on hand just in case the number of entrants are equal too, or exceed, a "grownup" division.
June 23, 2008 06:13PM
Mike Sidebottom is the mastermind of the SNAC in Pensacola this year. Mike I agree with Randy the Junior winner should get at least a discather sport (which will be my donation to the event) I'll bring it down the next time I come that way and deliver it to JimO.

John k
June 24, 2008 09:35AM
That was too easy John! Now...can you arrange for sunny skies, 72 degrees, and if it's not too much to ask...a ride-along in a Blue Angel F/A-18 Hornet? haha Thanks guys!
June 24, 2008 01:29PM
john sorry it took so long to get back we had a hell of aq storm; and i got fried; anyway i agreee with you and tip my hat to you for the donation; also should i have received any money from the s/n for the snac cause i have not to date.
November 15, 2009 12:12PM
Anyone that is looking to host this event, ESPECIALLY if you are a standing Board member at the time... PLEASE make sure you read this, especially if you are going to post on it. Not sure how one would post on a thread without reading it first.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take me to the window and understand
I got a rocking chair in my skin.
And every time the wind blows
It brings me down to meet the mood I'm in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SN Top25 Bag Tag database
BRDGA Top10 Bag Tag database
MADGA Top10 Bag Tag database
SFC Top10 Bag Tag database
March 05, 2010 04:31PM
I have read this thread.

It appears that the top (first post) reflects all of the ongoing/suggested changes.

Is it correct that the top (first post) is the up to date guidelines?

Thanks,
Shawn
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013