Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Southern National Pro Championship Guidelines

Posted by John K 
Southern National Pro Championship Guidelines
May 08, 2006 08:36AM
Southern National PRO Championship Guidelines

The guidelines presented below are the minimum standards set forth by the Southern National Board. The host city of the SNPC is committed to running a championship level tournament for the players. The appropriate level of forethought and planning is required to make this representative of the culmination of a SN season.

1. A minimum of 2, 18 hole courses in excellent shape, appropriate for the level of competition.

2. The host city will provide invitations for the 144 players to be invited. The invitation list will be provided by the SN Board based on the percentage of each division in regards to the total number of am players. Invitations for the SNPC will be mailed no later than June 21.

3. All SN fees are turned over to the host city along with a breakdown regarding the amount that was collected for each division (in singles tournaments). This information is provided by the SN Treasurer to the host city, SN Board and SN players vis the SN forum. All SN fees will be returned to the respective division.

4. Each Division should payout a minimum of 125% of SN fees and Entry fees collected, i.e. if $1000 in SN fees and Entry fees were collected for the Pro Women division then $1250 should be paid out in cash/fair retail value. (See 12 for definition of FRV) SN Bag tag money generated for the SNPC will not be considered by the host when determining if 125% has been met.

5. Divisions offered: the minimum divisions offered will be Pro Men, Pro Women, Pro Master, and Pro Grandmaster. Other divisions such as Pro Master Women can be offered if there are enough players to constitute a division as determined by the host.

6. What constitutes Payout?
...a. Payout includes the prizes given out to the top 35% (minimum) in the pro divisions (Pro Men, Pro Women, Pro Master,Pro Grandmaster)
...b. Payout includes trophies in ACTUAL cost for each division.
...d. Payout includes the players package that is given out to all registered players in their respective division.
...e. Payout includes any prizes/cash for contests that are broken down by division, such as putting, driving contests.
...f. Payout includes any prizes/cash for CTPs that are broken down by division.

7. Each player should get a players package with a fair retail value of at least $20 as a minimum. Contents of the players package will be determined by the host. The mark up to retail value for items such as shirts and discs will be approved by the SN Board. Approval for other items in the players package in regards to what can be considered payout will be by the SN Board.

8. The tournament will be a minimum 3 and a half rounds. There can be a cut after the 3rd round. A finals will be held (format determined by the host, i.e. score continuing, skins, ect...)

9. Each division will have trophies/plaques for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

10. Sponsorship money: All sponsorship money raised by the host club can be designated as the sponsor/host chooses.

11. The host city will provide to the SN Board a complete accounting of the money taken in (i.e. sponsorship money, SN fees, entry fees) and money paid out giving actual cost of items with photocopied reciepts. Accountability is important.

(The SN Board will comminicate with the host to determine the best means of doing this, while we want to keep the process as simple as possible accountability is important.)

12. Fair Retail Value: This is the value of the merchandise at the average cost to a player buying from a vendor. The pricing of each type of disc used for payout(i.e. DX, Pro Line, CE) must be approved by the SN Board to ensure pricing is fair.

13. A minimum of 2 SN Board members will be present at the SNPC to ensure the quality of the event is maintained.

14. A minimum of two extra curricular events will be offered. Suggestions include:
...a. putting contest
...b. driving contest
...c. skils contest
...d. rings of fire
...e. mini course

16. The host city can profit from the tournament. A MAXIMUM of $500 can be made by the host city if ALL the SNPC guidelines outlined above (i.e. 125% payout) have been met.

17. Sponsorship exemptions: Sponsorship exemptions may be given to those individuals that dont have SN points. A sponsorship minimum of $1000 towards the SNPC is required to qualify. Sponsorship can come from individuals or corporate.

Sponsorship excemptions were raised to $1500 cash only PER excemption. A player may only recieve one excemption for any one championship in a 2 year period. Edited 09/15/10

18. Eligibility: All players that have competed in an SN tournament that was an appropriate SNPC qualifier and obtained the mimimum 2 points required. Players with AM SN points only are eligible to register the last two weeks prior to the championship if the tournament isnt full at that point.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2010 09:47PM by Hilltopper.
Re: SN Pro Championship Guidelines
May 08, 2006 08:55AM
The last sentence of 4 was added by me after the approval next week so it may stay or go. My reasoning for adding "SN Bag tag money generated for the SNPC will not be considered by the host when determining if 125% has been met." is this...If the host city is allowed to consider the SN Bag Tag money then the amount that they have to come up in order to meet the 125% requirement is less.

Taking last year as an example...with 100 players the entry fee was about $7500, the SN fees was about $3500, $11000 total. Based on that the payout of 125% would be $13750. Bag tag money generated last year was about $2000. That would leave the host city only having to come up with $750 in sponsorship. I know there are others cost that the host has to account for that isn't included as payout such as signs, printing costs, ect... It was my feeling that there should be a commitment by the host city to come up with sponsorship money.

I don't think Mobile will have any problem this year meeting any of the above requirements. Wall Doxey set the bar last year, I think it's being raised again this year...
Re: Southern National Pro Championship Guidelines
May 08, 2006 09:11AM
Here's what I don't understand. The board voted to take .25 cents out of the $2/player/trny. So a quarter of $3500 = $2625. Your taking almost $1000 away from the Pro championship. That's alot of money from a tournament that everyone is thinking needs to have more money. Not bashing or anything, just wanting to know the reason in a friendly, calm way.

Terry Zeringue
May 08, 2006 09:30AM
Actually Zinger the effect isn't that much. If the SN fees were $3500 next year, with the .25 of each $2 fee taken out (12.5%) that would leave $3062.50. Only $437.5 taken out.

The .25 will be used to pay expenses that were taken from the SN bag tag profits, such as the SN points discs, end of year award plaques, and the PDGA fee for the SNPC. I'd like all the money generated from the Bag Tags (less the cost to print them) go to the SNPC.

Also any money left over at the end of the season from the .25 that wasn't spent on expenses I'd like to go back to the players anyway at the SNAC and SNPC.

The purpose of the .25 is to be able to have the option of doing things that at this point in time with no expense money we aren't able to do because all the money is allocated back to the championships.

Hope that helps...

John k
May 08, 2006 10:33AM
More fuzzy math there eh zinger??!!!!!!!!
Must be educated in weeesiana.

JABBA

it MUST be the plastic
May 08, 2006 11:57AM
oops,, i was wrong, I was doing .25 out of $1

Terry Zeringue
May 09, 2006 11:56AM
Hey Jabba, you think weesiana is bad. look at the thread about the REZ where a guy from Memphis thought Jackson was in TN......illiteracy and dumbass is profound in AL, AR, MS, LA and now TN!!!!!!!

Dangerous Don
May 09, 2006 01:37PM
Can you explain rule #17?

17. Sponsorship ecemptions: Sponsorship exemptions will be given to those individuals that dont have SN points. The limit of exemption is $1000 for a player at the SNPC. Sponsorship can come from individuals or corporate.

Shane
May 09, 2006 01:47PM
It's exactly what it states, if a pro player doesn't have any SN points with a $1000 sponsorship of the tournament in that players name they are in without points. Last year (if this was in effect) with McDonalds sponsorship they could have requested a sponsorship exemption for a player without sn points.

John k
May 09, 2006 02:29PM
So at what point in the sign-up process do the Sponsorship exemptions fall?
Right now there is a heirarchy for signing up:

First dibs go to those 144 that get invites.
Second chance goes to everyone with Pro points.
The last two weeks anyone with SN points can sign up (ie: Ams)

Where do Sponsorships exemptions fall in that list?

Thanks,

Jeff H
May 09, 2006 02:57PM
I'm not sure if we addressed that or not, but it's a good question. We meet tomorrow so we can talk about it, hopefully. It's good to have other people look these documents over for things we might have missed. Thanks, rWc
May 09, 2006 03:12PM
Ideally I'd say after the 144 invites get a chance to sign-up.

Realistically as soon as the host city/sn treasurer gets the $1000 in sponsorship money along with the request for inclusion of a player I would say they are signed-up once their entry fee is paid. Filling up the SN Pro championship has never been a problem up to this point but a valid question.

That's my take anyway...

John k
May 09, 2006 03:49PM
Thanks for the .." It's exactly what it states" comment. It was the word limit that was confusing me. Usually that is used to place a upper boundary in association with payment. So it is actually a lower boundary in this case. Got it! Also perhaps change the will be given to may be given.

Thanks,

Shane
May 09, 2006 04:32PM
Thanks Shane...no slam intended.

How is this wording...

17. Sponsorship exemptions: Sponsorship exemptions may be given to those individuals that dont have SN points. A sponsorship minimum of $1000 towards the SNPC is required to qualify. Sponsorship can come from individuals or corporate.

The input is appreciated...

John k
May 10, 2006 11:44AM
aaah, Don......there IS a Jackson, TN and they have disc course too! oops!

Griff
May 10, 2006 01:05PM
I knew that Griff, I was just trying to rib the "duke of disc golf" a little....

Dangerous Don
May 10, 2006 02:39PM
And...I...was ribbing Fat Jabba when I asked the question...

Not to be the Doomsayer....buuuut...has anyone thought what the new guidelines might do...to the number of clubs who may or may not enter "bids" for the Championships with these new "rules"?

In my experience, the normal disc golfer doesn't like paperwork and rules. Mikey and the crew might start trying to rip me for Memphis wanting to make money or something...which is not true...I really think you are going to really limit yourself now on bids. Just MY opinion.

Brad <---His opinion...not Memphis in general

Duke of Disc Golf A-Number 1
[daffyshirts.com]
May 10, 2006 03:19PM
if they can't build it........we (SNCHMPS) won't come!

Griff
May 10, 2006 04:13PM
Brad,In my experience, the normal disc golfer doesn't like paperwork and rules.
????? who does not like rules? without paperwork how would everyone know how the money is spent or its origin?

April 18, 2007 12:07PM
PRETTY

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2007 12:15PM by chris lasonde.
February 11, 2010 10:31AM
Nice to see you on here, Chris. How have you been?
February 11, 2010 09:51PM
chris, chris chris, it's the general we need you back my friend; WHAT SAY YOU!!!! i mean just look at whats going on my friend.
February 11, 2010 10:40PM
Guys look at the date on Chris's response.

"HOGMAN"
HyZer Nation
February 15, 2010 04:39PM
hehe just almost 3 years off haha
March 05, 2010 04:31PM
I have read this thread.

It appears that the top (first post) reflects all of the ongoing/suggested changes.

Is it correct that the top (first post) is the up to date guidelines?

Thanks,
Shawn
ww
April 24, 2012 07:11PM
Could the top post here be updated to reflect the current guidelines? I went back through the board meeting minute threads and think I have a good understanding of the new rules, but seeing it at the top of this post will definitely help alleviate too many questions.

Thanks
WW
April 24, 2012 08:20PM
We'll get it updated Willie, just now reading it there are some changes to be made.....thanks for posting....updating asap.

JOhn k
July 01, 2012 05:06PM
8. The tournament will be a minimum 3 and a half rounds. There can be a cut after the 3rd round. A finals will be held (format determined by the host, i.e. score continuing, skins, ect...)

a question regarding this guideline - what if the 3rd round was on a course with par in the upper 60s and distance over 10,000 feet? (basically a 1 1/2 rounds in itself compared to the typical course)

if such a course were used in round 3, would there still be the requirement for another 9 holes to be played? (not including finals)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 23
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013