Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Another RIP
July 11, 2009 11:55PM
Mr. Ed Freeman
>
> You're a 19 year old kid.
>
> You're critically wounded and dying in the jungle in the Ia Drang Valley ,
>
> 11-14-1965, LZ X-ray , Vietnam. Your infantry unit is outnumbered 8 - 1 and the enemy fire is so intense, from 100 or 200 yards away, that your own Infantry Commander has ordered the MediVac helicopters to stop coming in.
>
> You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns and you know you're not getting out.
>
> Your family is 1/2 way around the world, 12,000 miles away and you'll never see them again.
>
> As the world starts to fade in and out, you know this is the day.
> Then - over the machine gun noise - you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter..!!
>
> You look up to see an un-armed Huey!! But.... it doesn't seem real because no Medi-Vac markings are on it.
>
> Ed Freeman is coming for you..!!
>
> He's not Medi-Vac so it's not his job, but he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire anyway. Even after the Medi-Vacs were ordered not to come.
>
> He's coming anyway.
>
> And he drops it in and sits there in the machine gun fire, as they load 2 or 3 of you on board.
>
> Then he flies you up and out through the gunfire to the Doctors and Nurses.
>
> And, he kept coming back..!! 13 more times..!!
>
> He took about 30 of you and your buddies out who would never have gotten out.
>
> Medal of Honor Recipient, Ed Freeman, died last Wednesday at the age of 80, in Boise , ID
>
> Medal of Honor Winner
> Ed Freeman!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take me to the window and understand
I got a rocking chair in my skin.
And every time the wind blows
It brings me down to meet the mood I'm in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SN Top25 Bag Tag database
BRDGA Top10 Bag Tag database
MADGA Top10 Bag Tag database
SFC Top10 Bag Tag database
Re: Another RIP
July 12, 2009 06:50AM
The story can be found in the book "We Were Soldiers Once....and Young" by Lt Gen Harold Moore (Ret). Don't watch the movie....it came nowhere near to telling the story.

Ed Freeman died on August 20th, 2008.
July 12, 2009 09:52AM
Sorry, should have snoped it... got it in an email... can't believe I ended up guilty of passing something on like that.

Take me to the window and understand
I got a rocking chair in my skin.
And every time the wind blows
It brings me down to meet the mood I'm in.

SN Top25 Bag Tag database
BRDGA Top10 Bag Tag database
MADGA Top10 Bag Tag database
SFC Top10 Bag Tag database
July 12, 2009 01:52PM
My father is a 100% D.A.V. from Vietnam. Was there in the worst years to be there. 68-69. Also in the worst place to be during those times.

I loved that book.

As for the movie. They did nail it right on as far as the detail in the firefights. My father did not sleep for a week after he saw the movie. I felt so bad for him.

EDIT**** also had no problem watching any other Vietnam movie.... Platoon. Full Metal Jacket, etc. It's the detail they put in that went exactly on with how "Charlie" used to attack. Hell when the movie started and those dudes were running after that one young soldier (away from everyone else).... my dad speaks up and says they are messing up. his buddies are sitting right up the hill. Sure enough. they round a bend and BAM. radio man down. cut off and surrounded. also in the night. when they are sitting their alone(the people that got cut off) you can hear all the frogs/bugs singing their songs. if you listen closely you can hear them get quiet. that was even dead on. He said they used them as "watch dogs". if the frogs/bugs got quiet you knew to get yourself ready because they are coming in.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2009 01:59PM by JesusShoes.
July 12, 2009 03:02PM
shoes tell your dad thanks!!!! from me and my children; i also was there in 68 & 69 i was with the 1st of the 52nd 198th special forces (lrrp plt.) us army; i think your dad will understand that; i was in chu lai.
July 12, 2009 08:13PM
mike sidebottom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> shoes tell your dad thanks!!!! from me and my
> children; i also was there in 68 & 69 i was with
> the 1st of the 52nd 198th special forces (lrrp
> plt.) us army; i think your dad will understand
> that; i was in chu lai.

He knew exactly what you were talking about as I had no idea. Said you must have been one bad dude (and probably still are)

He was in 1/7 1st Cav. @ Phuc Vinh (I hear it was bad there)

July 13, 2009 07:46AM
thats pretty cool; we took in some of the 1st cav after they came home; it was bad everywhere over there
September 28, 2009 08:22PM
Bump
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013