Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How long do you wait?

Posted by head 
How long do you wait?
November 01, 2009 01:12PM
how long do you wait for someone thats not a golfer to move out of the way of flight path? I was playing the other day in Memphis with 2 other guys and we get to a wide open hole at the farms and a man and a woman are standing about 400 ft down the fairway. I yell at them to move I say heads up I wave my disc around in the air. Others are throwing around them so they knew what we were doing but instead of moving they just move over about 30 ft. like it was good enough. So after about 15 min we decide to throw and I threw my sidewinder and sure enough head wind comes and pushes it right into the back of dudes head. I am talking a red mark on his neck the size of my fist. I told him I was sorry. He didnt have much to say about it to me but his wife/GF thought it was funny because she was laughing. Was I wrong for giving them notice we were about to throw in their direction and they decided just to walk bout 30 ft away? Or were they just idiots for standing there?
Re: How long do you wait?
November 01, 2009 02:25PM
What's the sign say, mister?

Screw him.

But legally, I've read cases from ball golf incidents and the person driving was not held accountable because he/she yelled "fore." If you follow the accepted standards of the game like that, the guy can't do anything to you. You warned him beforehand, and if there are signs that identify the location as a disc golf course and warn of flying discs, it's his fault for being there in the first place.
November 01, 2009 07:16PM
They knew what was going on, you motioned to them to move, they should have been watching the disc. We have a BIG problem with this in BR with cross country runners. I usually wait a little bit, then i get their attention and tell them just to watch the disc just in case,,, most of the time they wave us on and turn their backs. I have hit at least 5 runners just during this cross country season. I don't let it bother me at all because they know what is going on, and i even tell to move or just watch and THEY DON"T. Not your fault or problem, hopefully he learned his leason for next time.

Terry Zeringue
November 01, 2009 07:34PM
Stacey might come out and play with you Zinger... she is dying to hit someone with a disc. ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take me to the window and understand
I got a rocking chair in my skin.
And every time the wind blows
It brings me down to meet the mood I'm in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SN Top25 Bag Tag database
BRDGA Top10 Bag Tag database
MADGA Top10 Bag Tag database
SFC Top10 Bag Tag database
November 01, 2009 10:24PM
I hit a little kid once in the back while he was on a bike. It was great. That's what happens when you don't listen.
My next achievement is going to be to hit a mexican on hole 18 on the Ace run. I've thrown a turnover Roc on that hole for several years, Because it's got a gentle glide to the right to turn with the fairway.
Next time I see them being jackasses by the basket, I'm breaking out my Death Star Orc and prey I clear the fairway right into a forehead.
November 01, 2009 10:47PM
I say if you can throw it 400 feet, your allowed to hit anyone you want!!!
November 02, 2009 07:14AM
If you waited 15 minutes that's about 10 minutes too long for me. FOREEEE!!!! and if they're Mexican SAISEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
November 02, 2009 09:51AM
And what is that supposed to mean?

November 02, 2009 02:41PM
Of which of the two sentences are you having trouble comprehending ?
November 02, 2009 02:58PM
Just your spanish... "SAISEEEEEEEEEE"

November 03, 2009 02:24AM
it has more to do with assumption of risk. if u are playing football and want to sue because you got tackled, tough luck. the same goes for people standing on a ball or disc golf course. i had a guy become irate because i shot him in the balls when i was playing paintball. it happened from a good distance away and i was in full sprint, so it was mainly spray and pray. i had not intention of shooting him in the balls, but If i did its still as legal as shooting him in the chest or mask because he assumes the risk of getting hit my a paintball by stepping of the field. as a player or spectator.
November 03, 2009 08:28AM
Blue and General hit the nail on the head...

Unless you are "purposely aiming to hit the target (runner, etc.), they have assumed the risk.....posted or not.....reasonableness plays only a partial key.

If you aimed with purpose to cause injury then you have acted outside the scope of their "assumption of the risk" and could find oneself in a pickle...evidence of your actions and testimony of bystanders would come into play, but I digress....

Just play golf! And, out of COURTESY, always remind folks to pay attention to where they are at ....

That's your jurisprudence fun fact of the day! Griff
November 03, 2009 09:35AM
We know absolutely positively for sure that Head was not aiming for the people. He hit them!!!!
November 03, 2009 10:51AM
OUCHEE!
November 04, 2009 08:31AM
Dillon_Gourley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you waited 15 minutes that's about 10 minutes
> too long for me. FOREEEE!!!! and if they're
> Mexican SAISEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

I'd rather yell "QUATRO!!!!" I've done that at Highland before. It was pretty darn hilarious. The expression on that guy's face... priceless... :)
November 04, 2009 09:51AM
Hey hey now Robert I got pretty good aim from a distance its that close stuff we cal lputting that im not very good at
November 04, 2009 01:19PM
you called THAT a PUTT?

Ouchee!
November 04, 2009 09:35PM
I just wish I could have been there to see that. Heck, I don't even have an ace yet, let alone a "bulls eye" on a dumb ass.....:)))
November 05, 2009 10:37AM
It was kinda crazy because soon as it him I looked at my buddy and said there is no way that just hit him. and he said yea you did
November 05, 2009 10:41AM
Ryan Gott threw a destroyer and it hyzered into a lady with a GHETTO BOOTY right in the a$$ and she never even flinched... I was sitting on a bench and just looked the other way after impact. She was extremely nice about it and I actually think I know her but I wasn't going over there! HAHA

November 05, 2009 06:48PM
epic.

You have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish don't have computers it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from you computer.
Thank you for your cooperation.
November 16, 2009 04:52PM
Disc Golf is the only activity I've ever seen where the players think they own public parks.

Don't yell at bystanders to move. They have just as much right to be in a public park as any of us.
I admit it blows when folks are in a fairway, but it isn't an excuse to endanger someone because of
impatience.

I don't find it humorous at al if someone gets hit with a disc. the way Gilligan seems to.

Ask Connie how many stitches she ended up with.
November 16, 2009 05:34PM
You wouldn't picnic in the middle of a football field, would you? The property designated as the DG course is the same thing. that's why they put up signs warning people to watch for flying discs.
November 16, 2009 08:37PM
I have to agree with what's his name. Disc golf courses are commonly situated near, around or close to other recreational facilities, such as walking tracks, parks, dog runs, etc. Personally, I'm not throwing until the people who are in my way know what's going on or get out of the way, ESPECIALLY if they're children. I don't want any legal issues that could affect me personally or the course I'm playing on. I've hit cars and had a really bad incident in Memphis once. (Thanks to Pat Hallman for retrieving my disc ; ) I'd proceed cautiously whether people are supposed to be there or not.

And NO people don't "picnic on football fields," but they do wander onto disc golf courses and I think it's our duty to make them aware of what's going on rather then tossing discs in their direction. But act as you feel you need to.

just sayin'

rWc3523
November 16, 2009 10:36PM
Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't try to hit anyone and if people are on walking paths, etc., I wait for them to get out of the way. However, in the situation the OP described, the people refused to move, in effect assuming the risk. In that context, I have little sympathy for them and I'm going to throw rather than skip the hole.
November 17, 2009 07:22AM
russ; best post yet on this issue; my thoughts exactly. not that it matters; im just saying.
November 17, 2009 08:23AM
Yes Blue i spent 15 min telling them what was going on and they just looked at us like we were idiots
November 17, 2009 08:59AM
I hold my disc in the air and show them and say " here it comes, watch it". After that it is on them for sure. No worries. "just sayin(still dumbest statment on planet right now)

"HOGMAN"
HyZer Nation
November 17, 2009 09:26AM
sacalaitwhisperer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Disc Golf is the only activity I've ever seen
> where the players think they own public parks.
>
> Don't yell at bystanders to move. They have just
> as much right to be in a public park as any of
> us.
> I admit it blows when folks are in a fairway, but
> it isn't an excuse to endanger someone because of
> impatience.
>
> I don't find it humorous at al if someone gets hit
> with a disc. the way Gilligan seems to.
>
> Ask Connie how many stitches she ended up with.

This is very true. If it is a multipurpose/ multifunctioning park, then all activities need to be handled with caution and awareness of others on the park.
If Gil is referring to hole 18 on the Duezze at Acadiana Park, then it is nearly impossible to get by standards attention without yelling because the hole is 420 feet and right near a soccer field that usually creates a lot of noise. (lol, 420) I have always intentionally thrown away from anyone on or near the fairway, though once or twice i shanked a drive or the wind made my disc do some crazy stuff and it ended up near people. While the shanked discs were in the air, i tried to immediately alert everyone in the vicinity of the landing zone by waving by ands and yelling. i didnt yell at them because i was on an ego trip and wanted them out of the park, i yelled because i wanted to prevent them from being injured by my disc. I have also found people walking Acadiana's holes backwards because they think they are a nature trails. I always try to make hikers aware of the trails designated for hiking in Acadiana park and explain that they are on the disc golf course. I also make them aware of the fact that they running a risk of getting hit in the face by a disc, since generally the baskets are hidden and the hikers are walking up a blind fairway. Most of the people i play with i can vouch for handle these situations in the same fashion in hopes that it will prevent unnecessary injury. These are just some of the issues at Acadiana. We also have a tee box on the Duezze that is really close to a soccer feild sidelines and i was told by a soccer ref, while on the box about to drive, that i shouldnt be this close to their out of bounds marker and needed to move. i understand his concern for my safety but i dont think he handled it properly. instead of one sport or the other moving their feild of play, i think each athlete should be made aware of the other athletes and the other sports before engaging in their own respective sport. Generally, all people are happy because the mutual respect among the sports decreases the amount of intersport injuries. Though all accidents will never be avoided.
Girard Park is its own beast because of the by standards and the majority of the times i play it, I have to skip a few holes to avoid people. this is two more cents on this matter.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish don't have computers it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from you computer.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2009 09:30AM by "The Handicapper General".
November 17, 2009 10:34AM

this is two more cents on this matter.

That's fair to say Matt. :p

BTW, it's hard to listen to you "type" for so long... It makes me uncomfortable... you need to add some "uh's" in there. ;) J/k my brotha! Well said.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

kch
Guests: 20
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013