Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

So Im thinking about Getting a new Ipod for Xmas. Any suggestions?

So Im thinking about Getting a new Ipod for Xmas. Any suggestions?
December 01, 2009 10:26PM
Im thinking any of the new gens are have great features and have the space i want. the main thing i am looking for is something that is tough and doesnt take up too much room. i'm even willing to check out other brands of mp3 players. what do ya think?
Re: So Im thinking about Getting a new Ipod for Xmas. Any suggestions?
December 02, 2009 12:57AM
I'd definitely check out "other brands"... iPods are nice but you are paying for that name and are kind of married to iTunes (which I HATE).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take me to the window and understand
I got a rocking chair in my skin.
And every time the wind blows
It brings me down to meet the mood I'm in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SN Top25 Bag Tag database
BRDGA Top10 Bag Tag database
MADGA Top10 Bag Tag database
SFC Top10 Bag Tag database
December 02, 2009 07:49AM
Itunes is wasy to deal with. Even the old generations of the Ipod are better than most of the zunes. I have the first video ipod with thirty gigs. I got it four years ago and it still runs fine.
December 02, 2009 08:45AM
I have a 2nd generation Ipod touch 8gig.
I love it. No problems yet.
Hear the new ones are even better.
December 02, 2009 11:31AM
I just personally don't like iTunes and even more so I don't like products forcing me to use something I don't want to... not to mention the DRM crap that iTunes and IPods bring!

December 02, 2009 12:52PM
Get an iPhone

Phone, iPod, etc all in 1
December 02, 2009 01:24PM
He'll just leave it in someone's car. ;)

truth. im thinking about getting a new iphone and keeping in an otterbox while its tethered to my spine.
i haf an 8 gig nano and it worked great. someone walked off with it though.
December 02, 2009 05:20PM
The new Nanos are very cool, and they shoot video now. If I didn't already have an iPhone, I'd probably get one.

Seriously. If, in 1983, you told me there was a cigarette lighter-sized device that could store and play every song in my record/CD collection, and that I could watch movies on it as well as shoot pictures and video, I would have volunteered to kill anyone you wanted.
December 02, 2009 06:02PM
I'm fine with my 8 gb iPod touch, but wished I could have waited until the next gen. My old 2 gb Nano still works fine. Not too concerned about iTunes. As far as being "tough," I'm not sure I'd carry my touch with me playing golf. Not as worried about the old Nano in a case. rWc3523
im not sure if i should make a new thread or not. if i get a ton of replies ill create a new thread.
i was thinking about investing in some strictly Disc golf shoes but I dont know too much about what other people wear or can suggest wearing.
Basically im looking for one shoe/low boot that sill allow me to play and thow on dry tees and wet tees alike. i was thining about investing in somthing like this.
I think it will be a great utilitarian shoe that can handle mud, wet grass. dry concrete and dirt alike. i know some people that wear cleats when its really rainy. im just looking to buy one shoe/boot what will do it all.
Does anyone have another favorite boot or shoe that they stand by?
does anyone have any criticism about the Timbaland Company? do they make crap?
Any input on this matter is great.
December 03, 2009 03:11AM
strictly Disc golf shoes but I dont know too much about what other people wear or can suggest wearing.

Real men play disc golf in their bare feet.
December 03, 2009 08:04AM
Timberlands are good....but I'd look for the ones that have a solid rubber toe on the front- that layered stuff will separateif you drag your toe on drives off concrete T-boxes (think forehand or solid finesse shots)...

Just my 2cents...
December 03, 2009 08:16AM
Wow the shoe question was random. The thing that shoe is missing is waterproof. You need waterproof when playing disc golf. Other than that it looks ok to me. I have shredded every shoe everyone makes playing disc golf. They just don't hold up. Don't buy a pair expecting them to last forever regardless of the brand. Figure a year. I think the key is comfort. You can't beat a Vibram sole regardless of the maker. I don't think Timberland carries that kind of sole. Merrell does and they are super comfortable but I am finding their durability to be laughable. Less that a year before the shoe breaks down but we play in a swamp so they stay wet(not good for shoes).

As for the ipod question. I think durability comes in the coating you put on it. Otterbox is as tough as they get but I found the device to still be susceptible to issues even with that kind of case. I dropped my iphone and it hit flat in that case and broke the speaker connection(for phone use) inside the phone so it will make a great ipod touch for my daughter as I had to get a new one. The otterbox is also water resistant which is very important playing disc golf as you never know when you will get rained on, fall in a creek, or suffer 100% humidity. Had a watch and a krazr go bad on me in one June round of golf at the Rez due to humidity. Phone was stuck dialing 4 all the time.

As for which type of player to get. I love my iphone and my daughter's nano. They are both great devices. If you get savvy and use some compression software a large ipod can hold not only all your cd's but a good many of movies too. I had the 8 gb iphone and it had 50 cd's on it, and two full length movies as well(for when I got stuck somewhere with nothing to do). The apps are great and the touch will run a good many of them without it being a phone, plus you have wi-fi and if you ever play in Amory it is free all over our course/city, shameless plug!! Disc golf scorekeeping app is great on the course. Love me some ipod/phone.

DRM? What's that? Easy to get around that even with itunes for music, never tried video. I don't buy video off itunes. Redbox is way cheaper.
December 03, 2009 08:39AM
on the shoe question, everyone who went to USDGC got a coupon for a pair of shoes from Keen footwear. They released a "disc golf" shoe on Nov 1
It is called the Milo--I haven't got mine yet, but I plan on it. The shoe is waterproof also. Just an FYI
December 03, 2009 02:53PM
As for the shoe question, I love my Merrills. They're the "light hiker" with the vibram soul and they are Gore-tex treated for waterproofing. Academy around here has similar ones but without the gore tex for around $80. I went to our local Intracoastal Outfitters and found them on clearance, with the gore-tex, for just $50. Wish I'd bought two pairs now.

I'm hard on shoes. I was going through a pair of "Trail Runners" every 6 - 8 months. My first pair of Merrills made it 3 times as long.
December 03, 2009 04:02PM
Here's a link to the shoes I just got from Cabelas. I'm loving the GORE-TEX.
[www.cabelas.com]
December 03, 2009 04:06PM
Here's a link to the Keen website and those Milo's Jamie was talking about.
[www.keenfootwear.com]
December 03, 2009 06:42PM
iPods to disc golf shoes?

A new thread, maybe ?

rWc3523
December 03, 2009 08:00PM
8gig 2nd gen/merrills

BMB
December 04, 2009 01:11AM
Keith, I agree with you about "who cares about DRM" in a sense... on the other hand. I am VERY much a man of principles and you aren't going to tell me what software I have to use to load my mp3 player with and I also refuse to support companies and applications that push DRM all that I can.

When I borrowed an old iPod for a LONG trip a while back I quickly found other apps, yammipod and such, to use instead of iTunes... but still those aren't as well supported (Media Monkey is the latest great app).

December 07, 2009 07:48AM
I am ok with the DRM issue I just refuse to let Apple or anyone else tell me what I can and can't do with my purchases. Now as for having to use itunes, you can hack the iphone to pieces and I think you can pretty much make it a drag and drop type mp3 player. I just don't care for the interface of those type players. I have had both. I prefer itunes due to album artwork, organization, etc. I have also noticed some decent deals with itunes. I was going to purchase the new Flyleaf cd and it has around 13 songs on it, I think on itunes it comes with close to 20 plus some vids and stuff and cheaper. So that makes me like itunes more. I also like the way the recording industry decided they wanted to up the prices of downloads by 50 cents or so and itunes basically said do that and we quit carrying your stuff.

On the shoe issue, Merrells are great unless you keep them wet. Unfortunately with our course it is impossible not to most of the year. Top end Merrells don't make it a year for me. Nothing does well for me for long. I do have a pair of waterproof Rocky hunting boots that are 5 years old and waterproof and thinsulate is still perfect. They are a bit hot for summer though. Going to have to look at those keens. I got some of their sandals and love them.
December 07, 2009 11:37AM
I get my mp3s from this chick:

December 07, 2009 04:07PM
Zune HD, I love my Zune that I've had for a year now, had one problem but the product was replaced by the manufacturer with no problem, great screen and now with HD radio its a winner
December 07, 2009 08:45PM
Does the Zune allow FLAC files? That's the big drawback for me with the iPod because I download a lot of live shows in FLAC (lossless compression) files.

rWc3523
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 31
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013