Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I'm back and broken!

Posted by Johnathan Nyce 
I'm back and broken!
March 17, 2010 11:53AM
Hey, what up guys. It's Johnathan Nyce back from Fort Benning Ga. with a broken back. Well not really broken, but I have 2 slipped disc with degenerative bones thought out my back. So the Army said thanks but no thanks. Glad to home any ways. Good part about this is I'll have free medical for the rest of my life. I'll see all of you soon Johnathan
Anonymous User
Re: I'm back and broken!
March 17, 2010 10:25PM
How'd you get free medical out of it? You got a medical discharge?
March 18, 2010 08:25AM
that's what it would have to be isn't it???? if not must be somthing new. sorry to here it and good luck.
March 18, 2010 12:04PM
Yeah, I got a medical discharge with honor. I played yesterday a Acadiana park, and it did bother me somewhat. But I think if I take it slow, I'll still be able to play. Just not as well! Really wish I could have made it in basic training, but I'm so happy to be home. I missed you guys. I'm going to play this weekend at PA Davis, just not in open.
March 18, 2010 09:19PM
Jonathan....I'm sorry to hear that. I have a few questions....and stick with me til the end....

1. Degenerative bones....was this deemed by the Army Medical Staff as pre-existing, or was it caused by something that happened while you were in Basic Training?

2. During outprocessing were you counseled about your condition? Was it in writing?

3. Did you keep a copy of your medical files?

4. Have you talked to your local V.A. Rep?

As for the first question....I have never seen anybody discharged prior to completion of Initial Entry Training for a preexisting condition and still receive full benefits. I can't even say that I can remember any that received ANY benefits.

Second....during discharge counseling exiting soldiers hear all sorts of stuff.....get it all in writing.

Third....Always make a copy of your med files....they have to allow you the opportunity.

Fourth....if not....DO IT SOON.

Thanks for the service again...even if it were short. I will still salute you as a brother in arms.

Do you want to know why I'm giving this advice? Because I asked no questions....I made no copies....I was just happy to retire after 25 years.
March 18, 2010 09:39PM
My girlfriend was questioning this as well. She did her 4 years in the Navy in Iceland and goes to her first weekend of reserves tomorrow.
Get it in writing.
March 18, 2010 10:56PM
Yes I was counceled on all this. I have copies of all my paper work. The degenerative bone disease is prior to service. I'm not getting 100% of my benefits, but I have spoken to 3 Majors prior to being released. And from what they have explained to me, my benefits will be given to me do to the 2 disc that were offset do to the training. I was doing a back crawl up a hill at a 45 degree angle and hit a pinetree root that was under some loose sand. That's where I felt a crunch crunch pop pop just below my shoulder blades, followed by lots of pain. Which caused my back problems. So with that said, I've been told I should be getting about 60% of my pay and 80% medical with 100% in regards to my back. And yes I have a appointment with the VA on Monday afternoon. But there is some red tape that I'm going to have to go through before I recieve anything. But thanks for looking out. I probably made it worse by not going to sick call right after it happend, instead I continued to train for 9 more days before my DS saw me crenging in pain while laying in the prone shooting my M-4. Needless to say he was pissed off because I went so long with the pain without going see about it. What can I say, I didn't want to miss any training do to a lot of pain. Yeah once again I've proven just how stupid and hard headed I can be. All an all it was some of the coolest stuff I've ever done. I wish I could have finished, but at the same time I'm glad to be home.
March 18, 2010 11:26PM
well if you need to replace those discs, I've got a healthy stack of X-out double stamped Pot of Gold discs.
March 19, 2010 10:13AM
I may need to think about that>not sure they will fit though
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

DJ
Guests: 12
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013