Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Spill in the gulf

Posted by Keith Bodin 
Spill in the gulf
May 04, 2010 09:28PM
If you think BP did something wrong listen to the link below:

[www.marklevinshow.com]

Field limited to 90 players
[www.facebook.com]
Re: Spill in the gulf
May 06, 2010 08:53AM
Thanks for the link, Keith.
Interesting perspective.
Anonymous User
May 23, 2010 07:00PM
BP continues to do a lot wrong. Mostly not making any serious effort to clean up the oil that's washing up in Grand Isle. For Jefferson Parish to have to commandeer a bunch of boats to skim BP's oil is phucking outrageous! PHUCK BP. And PHUCK anyone who wants to defend their worthless phucking azzes.

I'm hoping to join with other recreational fishermen and blockade the Mississippi River until BP and the Federal Government get serious about cleaning up the ecosystem that BP is allowing to be destroyed by their negligence.

Again PHUCK YOU BP, PHUCK YOU!!!!!
May 23, 2010 08:52PM
well said, Bluff.
May 23, 2010 10:07PM
IM WITH YA BLUFF!!!!! i am losing a very very very close friend ; THE GULF OF MEXICO!!!!! ohhhhhhh my goooodness
June 03, 2010 08:45AM
How about some updates from you locals that are on the ground down there? I am coming down to Orange Beach tomorrow and wanted to see what you guys are seeing as far as the beaches are concerned. I sent you a pm Mike. Just curious if there are others who have some news. The press seems to make it out to be all over the beaches but everyone I know who has been didn't see so much as a tar ball(not sure I'd even know what one looks like). I love the ocean and watching this is killing me. I live in N. Miss but grew up in FL and spent most weekends of my young life in the water. It will always be home to me. I'm with you Sidebottom, it is like watching a friend die.

I won't condemn BP for drilling for oil because I drive my Pathfinder a heck of a lot more than my bicycle. I am, however, upset with the way they have handled this mess. I would say the government needs to step in but considering the lackluster outings we have seen in other catastrophes I'm not sure that will make much difference. I pray that they will successfully stop the flow of oil soon, the booms are helping but ultimately the flow has got to stop before any major cleanup efforts will be fruitful. Praying for you my dear Gulf Coast and her residents.

Thanks for any help guys. What's the weekly toss schedule for following courses: Gulf Breeze, Blue Angel, Fairhope?

Keith
June 03, 2010 08:59AM
Keith - The weekly organized toss at Fairhope is at 5 (sign-up at 4:30?) on Monday afternoons. Random draw doubles. At 9 a.m. on Sundays a group of locals usually shows up to play doubles, singles, wolf or whatever.

In today's Times-Picayune, it was reported that the western end of Dauphin Island is closed and some tar balls are reportedly washing up there. I haven't seen any reports about similar sightings at Orange Beach or Gulf Shores (yet). But this week's prevailing SW winds have been driving the oil towards Alabama for several days now.
June 03, 2010 10:03AM
A LL YOU NEED IS FISH FRY,THERE'S PLENTY OF COOKING OIL.SNAPPER SEASON IS DOOMED AND I'M PISSED,BUT THE WIFE IS MAKING A KILLIN OUT THERE AS A CREW MEMBER SO IT'S NOT ALL BAD. BP IS GONNA FILE BEFORE LONG. [COWARDS]

BMB
June 03, 2010 10:39AM
You are very confusing B-Hole... you are broke, you are making a killing. *shrug*

Keith... don't know about FL but the news isn't all lies... I've heard first hand of people with their "toes" in it. (I'm in LA)

Very sad.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take me to the window and understand
I got a rocking chair in my skin.
And every time the wind blows
It brings me down to meet the mood I'm in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SN Top25 Bag Tag database
BRDGA Top10 Bag Tag database
MADGA Top10 Bag Tag database
SFC Top10 Bag Tag database
June 03, 2010 10:56AM
GET OUT OF MY POCKET....GILLY.BTW I'M IN LA NOT YOU. LOWER ALABAMA,MY NIG. ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!! THERE'S ONLY [WEATHERED OIL] SHOWING UP AROUND HERE THUS FAR. THE DANK IS STILL OFF SHORE. LOUISIANA IS GETTING THE WORST OF IT SO FAR.

BMB
June 03, 2010 10:57AM
Stopping lying and we wouldn't be having this conversation. ;)

June 03, 2010 04:44PM
I spoke with a man today that flew over the spill heading to Bama, he said it has a lot of debris in it. Probably 60 % debris and 40% oil. It is no where near as bad as what is heading in to the marsh here. As far as BP filing bankruptcy, not going to happen. Oil companies worth is measured by how much they have in reserve, BP has more oil in reserve that any company in the world. Also they made 9 Billion in the first 1/4 this year, no way in h e l l they going under!

[www.facebook.com]
June 03, 2010 05:00PM
keith when you say debri; can you be a bit more specific; was it trash dead fish etc etc.
June 03, 2010 05:31PM
No it's wood debris. Which is good because the debris keeps the oil confined. Easier to clean up.

[www.facebook.com]
June 03, 2010 06:17PM
June 04, 2010 08:17AM
Very cool. Thanks, Joe.
June 04, 2010 10:15AM
Here's another one. Projected path based on currents.

[www.youtube.com]
June 04, 2010 11:09AM
Check out cnn.com's live camera view.....they've got their "cap" in place and it's still gushing like a stuck pig!

The other wells won't be in place until August to siphon off at a higher rate.....

THIS SUX!!! I am in NO WAY convinced that's the best that can be done!

I am in no way convinced that BP is not STILL acting in their own "best interest".....

I am in no way convinced this is the best effort this country has!!!

5,000 gallon a day siphon from their "apparatus" - it looks like a big load of BS to me!
June 04, 2010 11:14AM
Best interest = minimize cost ... so in that regard... they are. ;)

June 04, 2010 11:20AM
Yep...more proof they are acting in their own best interest.

[climateprogress.org]
June 04, 2010 11:31AM
bryan griffin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Check out cnn.com's live camera view.....they've
> got their "cap" in place and it's still gushing
> like a stuck pig!
>
> The other wells won't be in place until August to
> siphon off at a higher rate.....
>
> THIS SUX!!! I am in NO WAY convinced that's the
> best that can be done!
>
> I am in no way convinced that BP is not STILL
> acting in their own "best interest".....
>
> I am in no way convinced this is the best effort
> this country has!!!
>
> 5,000 gallon a day siphon from their "apparatus" -
> it looks like a big load of BS to me!

Dude, there's 4 vents on the top of that containment cap. They haven't closed the vents yet. You have to make sure that whatever is connected to the well can contain the severe amount of pressure.
If you'd READ from the same site you got your information from, you'd know this. You can't just shut it off like a light switch man. You act like they got Homer Simpson working on this thing. There's some of the brightest engineers in the world trying to solve this problem.
June 04, 2010 11:38AM
You got to admit... some of the ideas and names they give them COULD come from Homer. ;)

June 04, 2010 11:42AM
[www.cnn.com]

As the recovery process started, BP said it would shut four vents on top of a containment cap from which oil was still escaping into the ocean. The company hoped that closing the vents would greatly reduce the amount of gushing crude.

In case you need a little direction.

And I'm not exactly "Pro BP", but I love how people think that the Government should step in and solve this. I love it because it's the dumbest suggestion I've heard in a while.... Other than "Obama needs to fix this"
Oh did his presidency come with a magic wand?
If the government comes in it basically strips all liability of the cleanup from BP and they can't pursue action against them. Because the government will "approve" all actions, and that negates any blame on BP's part since the government will have to "approve" every step.
Also, The government isn't equipped to handle this. They'll just hire out the same @#$%& people that BP and the others are hiring out to get the cleanup done.

And Gilly, yeah some of it might sound retarded... But Deep water drilling isn't exactly that old. I help design and model up a lot of oilfield parts for drilling, and when you get to these deep depths it's a totally different animal.
June 04, 2010 01:25PM
lets see then DON'T GO DEEP!!!!! in 79 they were only 200 ft and couldn't stop it; acid you do make some good points though; i to feel like the gov. needs to stand tight; my answer don't drill in the gulf of mexico there is way to much at stake; go drill inland or alaska; and by the way were are all those "drill baby drill" t-shirts that all those *$%*&*& were wairing?????
June 04, 2010 01:40PM
Acid.....the containment cap doesn't work......

They have not suggested in the slightest that they CAN close the cap due to the pressures, they are likely very apprehensive to try - another step back without the two steps forward...

but thanx for your 2 cents....

And READ man, best efforts this country has IN NO WAY suggests a govt takeover.....geeesh....

My point remains the same.....after this much time.....and this quality of result.....it does not bode well for our Gulf Coast friends and our economy as a whole...IT JUST SUX!!!!
June 04, 2010 03:07PM
June 04, 2010 03:37PM
I DO READ. Which is why I don't understand when I read this from you...

best efforts this country has IN NO WAY suggests a govt takeover
Yet, the more I "read" the more I see people wah wahing that Obama's not doing enough and the government needs to step in. There was little reports all over CNN with people outraged about the government not stepping in and doing more.

And as for the cap not working, no one's come out and said that it's a no go for it.

the vents in the cap were designed to let oil escape to prevent cold water from entering and forming icy hydrates that could block the flow to the surface.

Only when the vents are closed will BP be able to determine whether the seal on the cap is snug enough to keep massive amounts of oil from gushing into the ocean.

BP's progress was received with tempered applause.

"The placement of the containment cap is another positive development in BP's most recent attempt to contain the leak. However, it will be some time before we can confirm that this method will work," said Coast Guard Lt. Cmdr. Tony Russell. "Even if successful, this is only a temporary and partial fix, and we must continue our aggressive response."

[cnn.com]

I'm not saying that it's ultimately going to work, but it's a process. As for the "Drill baby Drill", I was never a fan of that. And I've been working in the oil industry designing tools for a few years. The economic effect of this is gonna be felt for a long time. Prolly 15+ years. Hell, Alaska's Prince William Sound community is still hurting from Valdez 20 years ago. Ultimately, if all it costs BP is money, it'll be an easy fix for them. Even if it costs them 14 billion, they'll just break even for a year and call it a day.

This isn't going to put a stop to drilling in the Gulf, way too many people depend on that, and that includes the entire nation. It's a catch 22. Huge unemployment drop in the south because of it, economic changes that are associated with the oil industry (Let's not forget all the other products that the oil/gas we drill for is dependent on, Not just gasoline)... All sorts of downsides... All because it's what people want now. Sure, we all want a cleaner world, but no one's prepared to lose money in the process.
Kind of like the wind farm that they finally approved up the east coast. All the rich people were for clean energy, till they realized that it was in their backyards. Not so convenient anymore.

But anyways. Yeah it sucks. It's gonna suck for a long time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2010 03:37PM by AciDBatH666.
June 04, 2010 03:51PM
The government can't do ANYTHING more than is being done now! Bottom line is NO ONE has even seen this type of spill before. The Valdez had a amount of oil in it when it happen meaning it wasn't an endless flow like we have now and that spill was on top the water NOT a 5000' below sea-level. Also the Valdez was in much more confined quarters with 25' surfs. Meaning the oil was washed every where. If people think this is bad now ...........well you haven't see anything yet!!! Let a storm hit the gulf and then all H E L L will break loose. Can you say SWEET CRUDE RAIN?!?!? New Orleans and Katrina will look like a walk in the park if that happens.

[www.facebook.com]
June 04, 2010 04:37PM
Now if we could just figure out how to get all the water and dead shrimp out we would be set. ;)

June 06, 2010 10:57AM
Going to the spill in Grand Isla hopefully only fro a couple of days.

[www.facebook.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 10
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013