Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

My weekend disc golf experience

Posted by tracemaster 
My weekend disc golf experience
February 27, 2011 09:12AM
Ok...this is actually about disc golf but it is a very negative post so I wanted to keep it off the main forum. So yesterday morning I got up at 4am and drove 2.5 hours to play in an event that I thought would be awesome. So we get there and the advertised price for my division was$40. Thought that was a bit pricey for 2 rounds of golf in the adv master division..but low and behold I was charged $10 for not being a Pdga member so now I'm $50 in to a 2 round event. Well the first round starts and all 80+ players except for me and another gentleman are playing with our own divisions...but we are unfortunately playing with the 2 am ladies that are there..I have nothing against playing golf with anyone but when I am competing against my peers at least let me play with them...especially if I have invested a stupid amount like that for a 2 round event. Also, it would help if you are going to advertise a shirt as a player pack ...have some that fit people..course was great...period..
Re: My weekend disc golf experience
February 27, 2011 12:48PM
I think I know where you went! ;-)

You have to watch out for that $10 non-member PDGA fee. It should have been CLEARLY stated on the flyer.

I'm going to avoid ANY event, SN, PDGA, whatever, that charges a typical two-day fee for a one-day event. With all the events available today, players can pick and choose where they go and play all the tournament golf they want.

rWc3523
Anonymous User
February 28, 2011 12:28PM
I also don't think it's the best idea for a TD to say you had a chance to play on another card, you just didn't shoot good enough.
February 28, 2011 01:09PM
I consider the source
February 28, 2011 04:48PM
Dillon Gourley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I also don't think it's the best idea for a TD to
> say you had a chance to play on another card, you
> just didn't shoot good enough.

LOL... why not... this is how "one of the best TD's in the SN" handles this exact situation when it comes up for him.

*edit* actually let me fix that... I don't really know this situation from this weekend... but at "the best TD's" situation it could have easily been avoided.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take me to the window and understand
I got a rocking chair in my skin.
And every time the wind blows
It brings me down to meet the mood I'm in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SN Top25 Bag Tag database
BRDGA Top10 Bag Tag database
MADGA Top10 Bag Tag database
SFC Top10 Bag Tag database

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2011 04:49PM by Gilligan.
February 28, 2011 07:27PM
Gilligan, you were not there so your expert profound knowledge is not needed here. If there are 82 people playing in the event and only 2 wind up on a mix card it absolutely is not right...As a TD, if you can't get every player on cards by division the 1st round then all need to play in mixed divisions the first round. The answer " somebody had to play with them" don't cut it with me...
February 28, 2011 07:44PM
I think you missed the ENTIRE point of my post, as NONE of it was directed at you or anything that took place this weekend.

Maybe that is why you also missed the fact that this was a pDGA event and everyone else that has been playing long enough to call themselves a "master" knows that if you aren't a current pDGA member you pay an extra $10 bucks.

Pretty simple there.

February 28, 2011 07:58PM
Actually *edit* most of the time at a duel scantioned event if you are a current member then the advertised amount is $10 less ie... If advertised as $40 then it is $40 if you are not current and $30 if you are...I've forgotten more about disc golf tournaments than you will ever know... I've TD every championship the SN has... Actually the doubles twice.. Not to mention approx 80 other events...so any time you want to match wits please actually arm yourself...are you this nosey with everything.. Would hate to be your neighbor if you are...rather you would hate to be mine..I'm not going to argue with you about this... I've got more important stuff on my plate right now

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2011 08:10PM by Gilligan.
February 28, 2011 08:09PM
Again, odd the words you chose, because my comments had NOTHING to do with you or this tournament.

BTW, you just broke guideline number one.

February 28, 2011 08:24PM
Really....holy cow....there wouldn't be near as much hostility and animosity among people if you would stay out of their business. And it is really cool how you try to justify why you put your nose there..
February 28, 2011 08:27PM
Think I might have broke # 2 as well...
February 28, 2011 08:40PM
Facts... just facts.

Anonymous User
March 01, 2011 12:03PM
Zack love ya man, don't bother trying to reason with Gilligan he is on a power trip with the rest of the clueless BoD.

He's even worse in person if u can believe it but fortunately he has grown too afraid with good reason to show up at most places.

On the subject, sometimes it's unavoidable to mix divisions on cards, but the $10 fee should have been posted. It is a huge problem with pDGA events and one of the reasons the SN would be a better series if the BOD would fix the real $$$$$ problem$$$$$ in the SN and quit trying to run everyone with a pulse off the forum.
March 01, 2011 12:06PM
He's even worse in person if u can believe it but fortunately he has grown too afraid with good reason to show up at most places.

Another great example of a black pot comment... I thought you didn't like certain shades of black Kernan? That pot of yours doesn't get much blacker these days... it's Spinal Tap black!

BUD
March 01, 2011 12:45PM
Sillygan-- go to private forum- read thread "What Is Wrong With Gilly"- come back and read this thread from top to bottom. SEE yourself.
Anonymous User
March 01, 2011 02:43PM
Sarcastic Sam
I believe the shirts this year are black, which is our favorite color, because it makes us look slimmer!

Only you Gilligan could attempt to twist such a positive statement about a certain color and attempt to defame. But keep on lying, it's what the current BoD is best at. That and running players away from the SN and of course, doing nothing about problems while creating new ones. Good job!
March 01, 2011 06:48PM
Kernan
But keep on lying, it's what the current BoD is best at.

IF that is true then seems like you would be a perfect fit.

March 03, 2011 01:10PM
Zach you are right....
The posted price should have included the $10, and then you get a discount for being a member when you pay.
Also, either mix them all up the first round, or not, but BE FAIR and CONSISTENT!!! This has frustrated me in the past as well.

The answer " somebody had to play with them" don't cut it with me...
I'd like to know who this TD is (PDGA or Not), so I don't support a TD that feels this way. I know quite a few am women that could beat am men, and a large number of pro women that beat am and/or advanced men at every tournament....just sayin' :) I could understand not wanting to play with a lady that is beating you, it would be tramatizing ;) JK!!!
March 04, 2011 07:19AM
lesliez Wrote:
>
> The answer " somebody had to play with them" don't
> cut it with me...
> I'd like to know who this TD is (PDGA or Not), so
> I don't support a TD that feels this way.
I know
> quite a few am women that could beat am men, and a
> large number of pro women that beat am and/or
> advanced men at every tournament....just sayin'
> :) I could understand not wanting to play with a
> lady that is beating you, it would be tramatizing
> ;) JK!!!

Just like some of us want to know which TD's did not send in their SN fees from the last year so we dont support those chumps either.
But unlike us you will get the info you want. We, the rest of the players, are just left hanging in the dark.

JABBA

it MUST be the plastic
March 04, 2011 08:02AM
Actually I have not received that info, and when asked, I was told all had paid. Some clubs wait until the end of the year, and send in total fees collect at the end of the year.....This is all I was told. So, now you know as much as me :)
March 15, 2011 08:30AM
I love it when the ladies beat me

at disc golf, of course.....

DOH!

: )
March 16, 2011 03:41PM
bryan griffin Wrote:
> I love it when the ladies beat me
>
>
>
> at disc golf, of course.....
>
>
>
> DOH!
>
> : )

LOL
March 25, 2011 12:47PM
> up on a mix card it absolutely is not right...As a
> TD, if you can't get every player on cards by
> division the 1st round then all need to play in
> mixed divisions the first round. The answer "
> somebody had to play with them" don't cut it with
> me...

If you do not mind me asking, why do you have such a problem with this? Was there a particular situation which happened or is it a blanket statement?
June 17, 2011 12:02AM
Gilligan Wrote:
> Maybe that is why you also missed the fact that
> this was a pDGA event and everyone else that has
> been playing long enough to call themselves a
> "master" knows that if you aren't a current pDGA
> member you pay an extra $10 bucks.
>
> Pretty simple there.

As someone nearing the age to play masters, Gilligan is confusing me a bit. Other than being 40 or older, do I have a minimum number of years played requirement as well to play masters. I also have a friend who would like to start playing masters but has only played for a few months. Do you have to be playing for a long time to be a master?
June 17, 2011 08:01AM
Sorry for any confusion, but I was referring to his screen name.

July 09, 2011 08:28PM
I don't see what the big deal is. A) you should have known about the non-member fee and B) the rules don't allow for a 2 player division, so yes, they DID have to play with someone, someone who was going to be playing from the same tees. That combined with the fact that divisions often do not have the perfect number of players necessary to be split up perfectly into 3 or 4 player groups. Their choices seem to have bee to either make 2 groups with one extra player (which causes delays) or create a group with mixed divisions.

I don't think they were picking on you or being malicious in general.
August 02, 2011 12:56PM
T-Bo, you just have to be 40 to ply in the Masters division!

blueboy, Yes, the guidelines do state that you hve to have three players to create a division, however, the Southern Nationals has ALWAYS tried to promote women in Disc GOlf to get more women playing. There have been many one players womens divisions that I have seen! You just can't turn in a two player card unless an official walks with the group to score.

tracemaster, I know how frustrating it can be to not be allowed to play with your division! You will find this a lot more in a pDGA sactioned event that in the Southern Nationals since they prefer a divisional start, which should be by rankng, not random calls! But unless they have the current ranking, it would be very hard to do! Of course, the second round should be sorted by scores. Your post did not say if you played both rounds with them or not. If you were not at the bottom of yur division, then you should have been ranked according to your score for the first round. If this was not done, then they made a mistake!

As for the pricing, notwithstanding the pDGA $10 fee, all entries SHOULD be going to the payout, less sanctioning fees and awards, etc.. The more you pay, the more you can win! Dual sactioning can take a good cut out of a low entry fee!

Dg Guy - Disc GOlf Plaques & Awards
417-876-2197 House
417-296-6560 Cell

Know what you throw. . .
. . . throw what you know!
August 02, 2011 05:44PM
"guidelines do state that you hve to have three players to create a division"

I disagree. That is not the current rule. The rules provide that a TD must offer certain divisions if there are 3 or more players and the TD has not published otherwise. A TD can allow a division of one (1) without violating any rule. The odd thing about our rule is that women and novice can be denied a division without advance notice even if there are more than three players. Nobody thinks that is or should be the rule but that is what Handbook 1.1 says.
August 02, 2011 10:50PM
Discjazz Wrote:
> "guidelines do state that you hve to have three
> players to create a division"
>
> I disagree. That is not the current rule. The
> rules provide that a TD must offer certain
> divisions if there are 3 or more players and the
> TD has not published otherwise. A TD can allow a
> division of one (1) without violating any rule.
> The odd thing about our rule is that women and
> novice can be denied a division without advance
> notice even if there are more than three players.
> Nobody thinks that is or should be the rule but
> that is what Handbook 1.1 says.

1.1 The following classifications shall be used for all Southern National Disc Golf (SNDG) sanctioned tournaments. All female players may compete in duplicate divisions as those offered for male players. Female players may compete in male divisions if they choose, but male players may not compete in female divisions. A director may, by giving adequate public notice, restrict the divisions offered. Absent such notice, the director shall offer for competition any division which has three or more players in attendance with exception to any women and novice in attendance.

I think you are misinterpreting the guideline! The exception is that women and novice may play with a division of less than three players!

It is saying that a TD can restrict the offered divisions, BUT must allow a new division if there are three player! The exception is that, no matter what, women and novice players will be allowed to play even if they do NOT have three players!

I must admit the wordng could use some clarification, but that is what it means!

Having run as many as 15 events a year in the past, this has always been the standard in the Southern Nationals to get more players of both genders playing tournaments.

If you did it the other way there would be a lot of casual players who would never play in a sanctioned event, which would be a great loss to the series!

Dg Guy - Disc GOlf Plaques & Awards
417-876-2197 House
417-296-6560 Cell

Know what you throw. . .
. . . throw what you know!
August 02, 2011 10:59PM
Oh no... here we go again. :p

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

DJ
Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013