Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Favorite Bible Passages

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Favorite Bible Passages
June 29, 2011 08:03PM
Ok, I get it. The SN Board of Directors wants this to be a family-friendly website with Christian values. I desperately want to fit in and please the SN Board of Directors, so I thought I'd start a thread about my favorite passages from the King James Bible! You can post yours too.

The first book of the King James Bible of course is Genesis, where one of my favorite passages is found. It's about this guy Lot, who curiously sounds like he lived in Alabama. Enjoy:

Genesis 19:30-38
King James Version (KJV)
"30 And Lot went up out of Zoar, and dwelt in the mountain, and his two daughters with him; for he feared to dwell in Zoar: and he dwelt in a cave, he and his two daughters.

31 And the firstborn said unto the younger, Our father is old, and there is not a man in the earth to come in unto us after the manner of all the earth:

32 Come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father.

33 And they made their father drink wine that night: and the firstborn went in, and lay with her father; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose.

34 And it came to pass on the morrow, that the firstborn said unto the younger, Behold, I lay yesternight with my father: let us make him drink wine this night also; and go thou in, and lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father.

35 And they made their father drink wine that night also: and the younger arose, and lay with him; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose.

36 Thus were both the daughters of Lot with child by their father."

Source: BibleGateway.com [www.biblegateway.com]
Re: Favorite Bible Passages
June 29, 2011 08:11PM
YOUR GOING STRAIGHT TO HELL

BMB
Anonymous User
June 29, 2011 08:20PM
What book of the Holy Bible is that Brian B? Sounds like a good story.
June 29, 2011 08:31PM
The bible is definitely full of some oldies but goodies!

But what about the board members that believe the bible is just a book put together by men trying to control society. That doesn't fit your little "hypocritical picture" does it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take me to the window and understand
I got a rocking chair in my skin.
And every time the wind blows
It brings me down to meet the mood I'm in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SN Top25 Bag Tag database
BRDGA Top10 Bag Tag database
MADGA Top10 Bag Tag database
SFC Top10 Bag Tag database
June 29, 2011 08:33PM
and your goin straight to hell

BMB
June 29, 2011 08:42PM
Hmm... IF I believed in such Tom Foolery that might be considered a thinly veiled threat right there. ;)

Anonymous User
June 29, 2011 08:43PM
I still don't see that passage Brian B...but here's one where the Lord that says any pro who makes a living at a tournament on Sunday should be put to death. I guess there will be no more SN sanctioning for pro divisions on Sunday?

Exodus 31:12-15
King James Version (KJV)
12 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.

14 Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.

15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.
June 29, 2011 08:55PM
OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!

Oh wait... GET THE STONES!!! (not like that Wayne... don't get so jumpy! ;) )

Anonymous User
June 29, 2011 09:00PM
Where is that found in the Holy Bible Gilligan? Sounds like the Old Testament. I am trying to learn the Bible so I can fit in with the Southern Nationals.
June 29, 2011 09:09PM
Can't recall but there are LOTS of stoning in the bible.

Samson was the first "Suicide Bomber" Can't let alqueda take that from "us" too!

Anonymous User
June 29, 2011 09:18PM
Please teach us some more of the Holy Bible Gilligan. I want to be saved by the Southern Nationals.
June 29, 2011 09:22PM
Here ya go... granted this might get me a warning as it might not be "family friendly" ;)

"If a man lies with a woman during her sickness and uncovers her nakedness, he has discovered her flow, and she has uncovered the flow of her blood. Both of them shall be cut off from her people." (Leviticus 20:18)

Anonymous User
June 29, 2011 09:25PM
Could you post a picture of that scene please Gilligan? It's all the more holy that way.
June 29, 2011 09:28PM
Wow... Not sure about that... last time I hacked your pc for pics to post here you really got bent out of shape.

Anonymous User
June 29, 2011 09:32PM
Interesting, a BOD member admitting to violating the law. Maybe I was mistaken when I thought the new BOD members wanted us all to behave like good Christians. Maybe I fit in here after all.

Gilligan, I wonder if the internet police will let you get away with breaking laws like the SN lets you get away with breaking its rules all day?
June 29, 2011 10:01PM
Hmmm... interesting how the biggest purveyor of everyone needing a sense of humor seems to have lost his and instead has grown a stick out of some place.

I mean really... I've been sewing for the past 6 hours straight and I'm starting to find YOU boring. Not good when I'd rather be sewing.

Anonymous User
June 29, 2011 10:03PM
Now that sounds like a passage straight out of Corinthians Book 1. But I can't quite seem to find it.
June 29, 2011 10:11PM
Could this please be moved to the off-topic section as it has absolutely nothing to do with disc golf?
Anonymous User
June 29, 2011 10:17PM
Bugle, what about the Lord saying he will put to death anyone making money from disc golf on the Sabbath? Doesn't that count?
Anonymous User
June 29, 2011 10:35PM
Gilligan is really Lulzsec..
June 30, 2011 01:25AM
This entire thread is dripping with blasphemy. I, for one, do not want to get into an argument about who believes and doesn't believe.

But I will say this. I believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and he believes in you. I don't care what kind of lame pathetic sarcastic joke you will put after this because I wont read it. But you all need to seriously look yourselves in the mirror and ask yourselve's what youre so afraid of.

The Lord has turned my life around and given me gifts I could have never attained for myself. And he is my best friend. Much like you would take up for someone who is your best friend, I wont sit here silent.

Thats all I have to say on the matter.
June 30, 2011 01:43AM
Every single quote on here is directly from the bible... are you offended by the bible? Granted, I am... but that isn't the point here.

June 30, 2011 06:53AM
I agree with LunchMoney. This thread shows how low this forum has become. Sad indeed. :(
June 30, 2011 07:10AM

Jesus built my hotrod. LOL
June 30, 2011 07:36AM
I can't believe the thin ice some of you constantly choose to tread on. What do you hope to accomplish with threads such as this? To anger those of us who DO believe?? Well mission accomplished!

Thanks LunchMoney! You said it right....

Here is one for all you non-believers.... I may not have the exact wording right, but you get the meaning... "For GOD so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son. And whosoever believe in him shall not perish, but have ever-lasting life!!"

Is it just me or does ETERNITY sound like a very long time???? I know where I hope to spend mine. How about you?????

Tony Bass
Believer in the power of religion!!
June 30, 2011 08:31AM
For the most part, I am a silent agnostic. In the last year I've been rereading parts of the old testament. My conclusion is that Yahweh, as portrayed in those books, is an evil entity. If so-called Christians and Jews wish to disavow their God as described in those books, so be it. But it is the height of ignorance to call quoting of the Bible (believed by some to be the inerrant word of God, himself) blasphemy. Mike left out the best part of the Lot story. Below are verses 4-8 of Genesis 19. God had sent 2 angels to Lot to warn him that God intended to destroy Sodom. Lot took the angels into his house, and the men of Sodom surrounded the house and demanded that Lot deliver the angels to them so that the men could rape them. Lot (allegedly the ONLY RIGHTEOUS MAN in the town) offers the men his virgin daughters instead:

4 But before they lay down, the men of the city, even the men of Sodom, compassed the house round, both old and young, all the people from every quarter:
5 and they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them.
6 And Lot went out at the door unto them, and shut the door after him,
7 and said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly.
8 Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes: only unto these men do nothing; for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof.

Luckily for Lot's daughters, the men of Sodom were only interested in sodomizing the angels. Lot would have let the men rape his daughters. And Lot's the GOOD guy in this story. Of course, God completely destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah - killed every living person there, and turned Lot's wife into a pillar of salt for having the temerity to look back at her destroyed home.

It is fine by me if people wish to believe in the God or gods of their choice, but I believe that they should take the time to understand the foundations of their religion. It's all well and good to want to live in eternal bliss. We'd all like to live forever. But think about who it is you are worshiping. Really. THINK.

Now, let me say this. The message of love and respect for our fellow humans espoused by Jesus Christ in the books of the New Testament is profoundly beautiful, useful and commendable. I try to do it every day. I think everyone should.

This thread should be moved to the off topic forum.
June 30, 2011 08:41AM
Well, said Rob.

It is thought (if the story has any truth to it at all) that during the "missing years" of Jesus' life that it is possible that he visited the east because most of his teachings were strange to that land but well practiced and known in the east.

I too try to model myself after those teachings.

Officially Buddhism has no "god(s)", anyone can study Buddhism. I suggest that many take up a little bit of that.

June 30, 2011 08:42AM
When one person believes in something that doesn't exist, he's called delusional.
When many people believe in something that doesn't exist, it's called religion.
Anonymous User
June 30, 2011 09:34AM
So quoting the Bible is blasphemy? But I thought y'all wanted us to read the Bible so that we could be better people and better forum posters.

Thanks Rob for the reading and explanation. This Bible sure is interesting.
June 30, 2011 10:33AM
Rob Williams Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For the most part, I am a silent agnostic. In the
> last year I've been rereading parts of the old
> testament. My conclusion is that Yahweh, as
> portrayed in those books, is an evil entity. If
> so-called Christians and Jews wish to disavow
> their God as described in those books, so be it.
> But it is the height of ignorance to call quoting
> of the Bible (believed by some to be the inerrant
> word of God, himself) blasphemy. Mike left out
> the best part of the Lot story. Below are verses
> 4-8 of Genesis 19. God had sent 2 angels to Lot
> to warn him that God intended to destroy Sodom.
> Lot took the angels into his house, and the men of
> Sodom surrounded the house and demanded that Lot
> deliver the angels to them so that the men could
> rape them. Lot (allegedly the ONLY RIGHTEOUS MAN
> in the town) offers the men his virgin daughters
> instead:
>
> 4 But before they lay down, the men of the city,
> even the men of Sodom, compassed the house round,
> both old and young, all the people from every
> quarter:
> 5 and they called unto Lot, and said unto him,
> Where are the men which came in to thee this
> night? bring them out unto us, that we may know
> them.
> 6 And Lot went out at the door unto them, and
> shut the door after him,
> 7 and said, I pray you, brethren, do not so
> wickedly.
> 8 Behold now, I have two daughters which have not
> known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto
> you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes:
> only unto these men do nothing; for therefore came
> they under the shadow of my roof.
>
> Luckily for Lot's daughters, the men of Sodom were
> only interested in sodomizing the angels. Lot
> would have let the men rape his daughters. And
> Lot's the GOOD guy in this story. Of course, God
> completely destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah - killed
> every living person there, and turned Lot's wife
> into a pillar of salt for having the temerity to
> look back at her destroyed home.
>
> It is fine by me if people wish to believe in the
> God or gods of their choice, but I believe that
> they should take the time to understand the
> foundations of their religion. It's all well and
> good to want to live in eternal bliss. We'd all
> like to live forever. But think about who it is
> you are worshiping. Really. THINK.
>
> Now, let me say this. The message of love and
> respect for our fellow humans espoused by Jesus
> Christ in the books of the New Testament is
> profoundly beautiful, useful and commendable. I
> try to do it every day. I think everyone should.
>
> This thread should be moved to the off topic
> forum.

I've thought LONG AND HARD about who or what I am worshiping. There was a time when I flat refused to believe in God just because some preacher told me to. But as I prayed for the truth, wondering if there was a God really listening, things started to slowly reveal themselves to me. Private things I won't discuss, but things that I strictly said "If you are real, show me" and he did.

I'm not usually much for arguing with un-believers. There is simply no way to turn someones mind 180 by talking. It typically happens when that person experiences some terrible event in their lives. They always want to turn to God then.

I have a few problems with parts of the Bible. I do believe most of it, but I don't believe all of it. That is not to say that I don't believe that God's word is eternal, but that simply put, humans make mistakes, and humans wrote the Bible. I believe that in some instances, in an effort to allow men their free will when Jesus was sacrificed, parts of the Bible were miswritten, or else interpreted wrongly.

Not to mention that human beings, a mere grain of salt in the vast ocean of the Universe, try to hard to understand God, the creator of all things, and when he can't meet their requirements for understanding, they turn away. Thats a big ole' joke.

I guess Cancer doesn't exist either. Since we have no way of understanding it, and don't know know how to truly stop it from developing. Or maybe Necrotizing-faciatus doesn't exist either. We have no clue where it comes from, why it appears, or how to stop it.

I mean Scientists, and most common people for that matter, (pardon the pun) believe in Black Holes and Dark Matter, yet we can't prove their existence, we only see traces of evidence that is simply the answer to a highly complex mathematical equation. And yet because our actions, the ability to do what we want to, when we want to, and how we want to, is not judged by these things, we go right along with it.

For it is inherent in the history of man that when someone or something tells us we can or cannot do something, we automatically take a stand againsts its right to do so.

And for my last point, even in the highly unlikely event that God doesnt exist, it is still unenlightening to believe that the existence of Religion is not needed for a whole and just society. When you have an overboard extreme force of religion, no, it is never good, but when you have a severe lack of it, you have no good either.

But in the end, I put my trust in someone (or something) that has proven to me time and time again, that their is no other place in which to instill my trust, without truly knowing that it is in my best interest. So to that I say God Bless you all, and thank you Lord for giving me the right words to say.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2011 10:36AM by LunchMoney.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 40
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013