Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What's the dumbiest sport in the olympic games

Posted by hudd 
What's the dumbiest sport in the olympic games
July 30, 2012 04:07PM
There are several tyhat come to mind but I think maybe badmitton could be the lamiest of all. Amazing that is an olympic sport and Disc golf isn't... wake up america!!!
Re: What's the dumbiest sport in the olympic games
August 01, 2012 08:28PM
Rhythmic gymnastics. Might as well make sword swallowing and lion taming Olympic sports.
August 02, 2012 06:02AM
Anyone see where there were 8 badmitton players thrown out of the olympics for trying to lose?
August 04, 2012 03:16PM
Fast/speed walking. Not very interesting...
ESP
August 06, 2012 03:52PM
i agree with badmitton, lol!!!
August 09, 2012 12:14PM
The shuffleboard on ice thing.......curling......yeah I know it's an old GAME........but an Olympic SPORT??????
August 09, 2012 01:34PM
Curling is bad @#$%&, Griff!

Jamie "Massive J" Massengale
August 09, 2012 04:17PM
another "so called" sport... I don't think it has a name....Where they ride a horse for a while, jump off target shoot, jump back on and ride a while longer. CRAZY
August 09, 2012 09:22PM
After watching for a couple of weeks, the synchronized diving is just too ridiculous to be true. Also, for the second straight Olympics, the best NBC can do during early live coverage hours is handball. I don't think I've ever seen that game played anywhere other than at The Olympics.
August 10, 2012 08:28AM
Handball is whack. It's like basketball + indoor soccer. We used to play a similar game called "Troy" Ball. It uses the same concept as handball, but you play like Ultimate where you can't run with the ball.
August 10, 2012 10:43AM
Agree, Massive - when we played what they are calling "Handball" it was called WAR (we had cones not a goal in the gym) and it usually turned into a human dodgeball match.....
August 14, 2012 11:22PM

human dodgeball

Is there another kind of dodge ball? Cyborg dodge ball?
August 15, 2012 08:23AM
Speed walking and trampoline, WTH
August 24, 2012 07:18PM
I gotta agree, speed walking is the dumbest sport. It cracks me up to watch it though. There is nothing like the look of intensity on a speed walker's face.
March 18, 2013 09:05PM
How bout sailing...not really a sport, more like a competitive hobby, and Equastrian Dressage....seriously?
March 19, 2013 03:03PM
They got rid of wrestling and kept all of the stupid sports mentioned. Unbelievable.
July 17, 2013 02:57PM
Hmmm. "Wake up America"??? Badminton is the second most played sport in the world behind soccer. Until you've played it competitively, you probably would not understand how physically taxing it is and how much skill is involved. The Olympics are an international competition; America doesn't get to unilaterally decide what sports are in the Olympics. For what it's worth, I played badminton in high school and in intramurals in college. Playing it competitively doesn't really compare to playing in your backyard anymore than disc golf compares to throwing a frisbee knockoff on the beach.

The last thing disc golfers should be doing is dismissing such a popular sport based on an impression of it not backed up by better understanding. It's sort of a "hello pot" kind of thing. Grow the sport. The rest will take care of itself.

Sailing, anything on horseback and calling people who drive cars or play poker "athletes" are all silly. And, anything that requires a judge's score to determine the winner shouldn't be allowed in the Olympics IMO.
Anonymous User
July 17, 2013 03:19PM
Badminton most played sport in the world behind soccer? You have lost your f'n mind. I am certain baseball, basketball, football, hockey are WAY ahead in numbers of badminton. Lets not forget darts, bowling, ball golf.

I can count on my hand how many times I've seen badminton being played...
July 17, 2013 03:56PM
It's not even in the top 10 most played sports world wide. Everything anyone attempts to do has a certain level of skill involved. I'm sure If I wanted to be the worlds best juggler I would need to have tons of skill. In my OPINION ( and I'm entitled to one) badminton does not have a place in the Olympics. Sorry, but I've watched Sailing quiet a bit and they put forth way more athletic effort than badminton players.
jml
July 18, 2013 09:16AM
I totally agree with this statement:

anything that requires a judge's score to determine the winner shouldn't be allowed in the Olympics IMO.

They might as well have a beauty pageant in place of half the stupid events they currently have.
JML
July 18, 2013 02:17PM
Dillon Gourley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Badminton most played sport in the world behind
> soccer? You have lost your f'n mind. I am certain
> baseball, basketball, football, hockey are WAY
> ahead in numbers of badminton. Lets not forget
> darts, bowling, ball golf.
>
> I can count on my hand how many times I've seen
> badminton being played...

Certainty is no substitute for being right.

This is an older article, but the numbers have actually been gaining worldwide since that time.
July 19, 2013 08:56AM
hudd Wrote:
> It's not even in the top 10 most played sports
> world wide. Everything anyone attempts to do has a
> certain level of skill involved. I'm sure If I
> wanted to be the worlds best juggler I would need
> to have tons of skill. In my OPINION ( and I'm
> entitled to one) badminton does not have a place
> in the Olympics. Sorry, but I've watched Sailing
> quiet a bit and they put forth way more athletic
> effort than badminton players.

In the article quoted above, a comparison between the Wimbledon final and the Badminton World title match was cited. The badminton players covered twice the distance as the tennis players in less than half the time. There's no doubt that sailing is physically taxing as are many endeavours, but a relative few are as physically taxing as competitive badminton. You may also have noticed, if you bothered to read the article, that when badminton debuted as an Olympic sport it was also the most watched sport in those games (1996).

The issue that I have with sailing is the same as with other sports that are not "human-powered." Sure they require skill and are physically demanding. But automobile racing also has those attributes. It's the same with the equestrian events.
July 19, 2013 11:45AM
No I didn't bother to read the article. You said it was the 2nd most played sport in the world behind soccer. I did however research the most played sports in the world and it didn't break even the top 15. I quit reasearching after that. I don't doubt that it is Taxing.
July 19, 2013 08:24PM
Second most played, as stated in the same article.
July 26, 2013 11:46AM
rank Sport est. participants
1. Volleyball 998 Million
2. Basketball 400 Million
3. Table Tennis 300 Million
4. Soccer 242 Million
5. Badminton 200 Million
6. Tennis 60 Million
7. Baseball 60 Million
8. Dragon Boat Racing 50 Million
9. Team Handball 18 Million
10. Field Hockey 3 Million

Current list

Central Louisiana Disc Golf Association President
Ryan Niccolini PDGA#55907
Anonymous User
July 28, 2013 05:08PM
1 out of every 8 people in the world play volleyball ? I don't think so. That would mean EVERY single person between the ages of 18-40 plays.

American football didn't make the list? I'm sure more than 3 million people play.

Another skewed list I see.
August 20, 2013 09:20AM
Statistics dont lie

September 15, 2013 10:22AM
If you travel to other countries, you would be surprised at how many American sports are not played.
September 18, 2013 03:31PM
you would also be surprised at the populations, we are quite sparse here in america

October 02, 2013 04:23PM
Dillon Gourley Wrote:
> 1 out of every 8 people in the world play
> volleyball ? I don't think so. That would mean
> EVERY single person between the ages of 18-40
> plays.

Didn't get high marks in logic did you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013